“Beautiful location - terrible beds!”
Review of Hotel De Normandie

Hotel De Normandie
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in St.Saviour
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful location - 20 minutes stroll from St Helier town centre, BUT that is great if you can get a sleep..... This must be the worst bed that I have ever slept in - oooppps tried to sleep in. 3 nights with very little sleep doesn't bode well for a relaxing break. Other than that, the hotel was a bit tired (excuse the pun), but it did look like it was having some work done on it at the moment. The big plus though - the staff were all lovely, each and every one of them. I would go back if they got new beds......

Room Tip: Request a new mattress he! he!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at this hotel. It is by no means a 5 star establishment BUT for the price paid it is an excellent option. The room we stayed in (77) was a bit tired but spotlessly clean, although there were a few stains on the carpet. The bed was really comfortable with good quality sheets etc. The towels were replaced daily in the adequate en-suite. ALL the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Having read some reviews I can't understand how they can make negative comments about breakfast. The breakfast service was really good and very well organised by attentive staff. The choice was adequate (again don't expect 5 star choice). There was choice of cereals or grapefruit or prunes and fresh fruit on the buffet and a made to order cooked choice which arrived very quickly. It would have been nice to have had a choice of yoghurt or muesli, but then again is the choice restricted because of the price paid? I was a little disappointed that there was no green or herbal tea on offer, particularly as before we went I read the managers response to a reviewer saying that the provision of herbal teas would be addressed at a management meeting. I thought that by this comment the hotel would have by now provided such teas, as most establishments do these days. I therefore had to buy some from a nearby shop - just a little niggle. We had a couple of evening meals in the bar. The food was excellent, although on both evenings my husband wanted the lasagne but it was not available on either. The Roseville Bistro just a short walk away (on a side road just opposite the open air swimming pool) was a lovely find. Can recommend this but it gets very busy so its advisable to book. We had thought about hiring a car but in the end there was no need. The bus stop is right outside the hotel with a service into St.Helier about every half an hour. There are then buses to the whole island from Liberation Station. We got a 3 day pass which enabled us to step on/off as often as we liked. We didn't use the pool but would have liked to use the sauna but this was still out of action! All in all we had a really good time. We will be returning to St Helier with our families and grandchildren and will definitely stay at this hotel again, children seemed to be very welcomed. Well done De Normandie!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Gail N
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We Just returned home after a long weekend on Jersey. This hotel is very comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were excellent. We used the indoor pool each evening and whilst the water temperature was a little cool, we warmed up in the jacuszi.
Represents good value for money.

Room Tip: Would recommend a local restaurant called Moita's (Potugeese/Continental) and a great Chinese in...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Colin D
Reviewed April 29, 2013

just returned from a four day break to this hotel,Great Hotel in an ideal location, Staff Very Helpful ,rooms spotless, beds made daily also fresh towels. excellent selection for breakfast.Excellent value for money.

The bus stops outside, Take the Number 1 to Centre of St Hellier. Main Bus Terminal .We used three day travel passes to go all around the Island ,You can hop on and hop off wherever takes your fancy.Very reliable bus services

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank the travelling man 2210
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Great service at all times from reception, thank you. The hotel was full, and breakfast was a bit chaotic - jose told me I could,nt have a table for 4, but there were lots of 2's next to each other- no vegetarian option. Bar service slow and snappy.
Rooms old but very clean- allow extra time for a shower as the water runs slow! The beds were comfortable and I slept well, tho woken early as there was a fire escape outside my door, loud banging door. Not impressed with the 10am checkout, especially as breakfast was slow, and even then, I had a maid knocking at 9.40.
Pool area tired but our children spent hours in the pool enjoying themselves.
Sounds like I am being negative, but for the price, I was impressed and would stay there again.

Room Tip: See view rooms are available, but lots are noisy due to being road side, or having fireescapes outsi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jo h
Hotel de Norman... J, General Manager at Hotel De Normandie, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Jo, Thank you for your review and comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and if you do decide to return I can asure you that all our rooms will have undergone renovation which should be completed in the near future. We have also included a vegetarian breakfast option in our new menu.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. The staff are very welcoming and provide a great level of service. The the room was a bit 'tired' but a good size and very functional. The facilities are good with a nice a indoor pool (Sauna was not working). The location is good with town centre being only a short walk.

The hotel provides great value for money and great service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris B
Hotel de Norman... J, Owner at Hotel De Normandie, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your comments and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We have nearly completed the full refurbishment of all our rooms so we hope if you return you will find our rooms to be satisfactory.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The reception is excellent and the staff on duty always have a cheerful and bright outlook on the mundane routine questions they must have to field. I being ancient, needed a computer to link with my home computer, and whilst I found great difficulty finding any in St Hellier (go to the library, or better still the airport departure area) the Manageress lent me her laptop, which did the job. This is an old building, but is well kept. Definitely a beach side hotel, and able to put up a large volume of guests, families being predominant. It has a large and clean indoor swimming pool and jacusi, which was well used by the younger guests. The hotel management are well motivated, efficient and keen to be of assistance, always positive, polite and cheerful, and made my stay a good one. Car parking, as I came over with own car, is available on site, but it is the luck of the draw as to whether there is a space available. I had no problem at all. My room (76) was a double room en suite. It was adequate in all respects. The matrass and pillows were very comfortable, and I slept well. The carpets need a good clean, and the net curtains in the bathroom also need changing, but otherwise it had all one needs for a short stay. The en suite bathroom was small but as far as I am concerned, just right for me on my own. I quickly learned the art of making a cup of tea using the equipment supplied..!! (Not used to doing this..!) I ordered an egg sandwich for dinner one night, in the room. The best egg sandwich I have ever had arrived, and well done the galley for the effort put into this great success. The dinning room is very clean and well ordered. You are met by the Maitre'd and shown a table. The self service corn flakes and fruit layout, was adequate. The main course is ordered, and then delivered freshly cooked, to your table. I ordered poached eggs, and to my wonderment they were cooked as the should be, in a vinegar water, just like Union Castle Liners used to do them. The only slight drawback was the rotary toaster. The toast does one rotation , but then needs a second rotation to get it properly toasted. I did not try the evening eating arrangements. The hotel is a short walk, about 20 mins easy walk, from the town centre. The walk is along the sea front, so well worth the effort. Overall, a very pleasant experience, and I would certainly recommend this hotel, as well as stay there, again. Well done the Normandie and thank you all.

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are available.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank pisces616
Hotel de Norman... J, General Manager at Hotel De Normandie, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Hotel de Normandie, we are currently replacing all carpets and upgrading all our room. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St.Saviour
The Inn Boutique
#16 of 31 in St. Helier
Merton Hotel
Merton Hotel
#2 of 5 in St.Saviour

Been to Hotel De Normandie? Share your experiences!