“You get what you pay for......”
Review of Hotel De Normandie

Hotel De Normandie
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in St.Saviour
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Service: It depends who you speak to, most of the staff will do back flips for you but there's one or 2 who really get your back up. Reception were great trying to get us to the church on time, the waitress who remembered the wife liked porridge so told the chef to put some on = top notch. The barperson who told us "we don't do food at lunchtime" rather rudely - despite it saying so in the hotel pamphlet in the room - and went back to watching the tv really let the team down for us. It would have been nice to be told "however there is........ round the corner". So we only had breakfast there which is your standard afair cooked properly but nothing to write home about.

Our double room was small with "sea view" (plenty of storage just a small room), it can be a noisey hotel at bar closing time with banging doors and rush hour traffic depending where your room is. But then I didn't see any in st hellier that wouldn't be to be fair.

The pool was great, we were the only ones ever in there. practically a private pool (0700 - 2100) just big enough for a few ups and downs before breakkie (0800 - 0930).

There is a bus stop right outside the main doors that runs every 20 mins until 6pm-ish and the main bus routes are about a 5 min walk up to Don Road. Giving easy access to Liberation Station and the rest of the island.

I could literally throw a tennis ball into the sea at high tide from the car park and the beach there is nice and sandy with a very very gentle slope where the tide goes out for miles......

Its Cheap, Clean, has a pool, the vast majority of the staff are great but I've stayed nicer places but not at this price.... Don't expect the Ritz. It is what it is!

Room Tip: Phone reception!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank IainSpirit

Reviewed May 22, 2011

On arrival at the Hotel de Normandie my first impression was that the hotels exterior looked a little tired and rundown. When I entered the hotel I found the reception staff helpful, but rather laid back and unprofessional. When I saw my room I was was pleasantly surprised, after the initial disappointment I felt when I first arrived. The room was large clean and bright. But the mattress on the double bed was sunken in the middle, and was  uncomfortable. Unfortunately the room was positioned on the corner of a busy road, I thought that I may have trouble sleeping so I made a decision to discuss this matter with the hotel receptionist. I voiced my concerns, and as a result I was offered another room at the back of the hotel. The room seemed alot quieter and so we accepted it. But rather than being a quieter room it was actually a lot noiser. And at times the generator would kick in  throughout the day and night. We found out that the hotels kitchens were situated directly below us down an iron staircase. So we heard the italion chef call out the orders to his staff each morning. Fortunately we saw the funny side of this comical scenario, and took this in our stride. The room itself was basic, and outdated but it was functional. The shower cubicle was very small, but thankfully the water was hot. We did not have the quiet, relaxing stay we were expecting, at this hotel. But we managed to make the best of things and have a good laugh. I also noticed scaffolding up, and one afternoon there was work being done on the hotel, while it was open to the public. I did not appreciate this and was surprised the hotel staff choose to treat it's guests in this way. And subject them to such noise, when they were trying to relax in their rooms. Next time I would do some research before leaving home, and find accommodation through hotel reviews on trip advisor, or use good hotel guides. Not put my trust in Thomson to find me a nice place to stay. This choice of hotel was disappointing, considering it was used by a reputable company. I would not consider using this hotel again in the future, based on this experience. Jersey though was a lovely place to stay for an easter break. This I would have no hesitation recommending to you.

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank japanesegarden
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Work sent me to Jersey for business and sent me to the Normandy, and everything was super easy.

The staff settled me in well, had a good feed in the morning and the bar menu was good too. I had a good sized and super clean bedroom. And my walk into the town was great, plus its right on the coast for nice evening walks.

The whole place made me feel alot less homesick. I will take the family over for a week in the summer.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank CiaranBullock
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We came to Jersey for our Easter break this year and stayed at this wonderful hotel. Im confused as to why some of the reviews on here are so bad, we had a brilliant holiday and really enjoyed our stay. We found the service to be very good and the staff were all friendly. Our room was clean and quiet. The location is ideal, especially if you have children, it is right opposite a beach but also close to the town. We loved it and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Just ask!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank coco5150
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at De Normandie Hotel. After we had booked I read the reviews on here and started to worry but there was no need. So its a little dated but that was the only downside. The staff are very friendly, nothing is too much trouble. The food is delicious and plentiful. The hotel is ideally placed for the whole island. It's about 10 minutes walk into town if you walk through the park at the rear of the hotel. We hired a car but if we went back I don't think we would again because the public transport is excellent.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Symphoniclady
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I stayed at the Normandie hotel at the start of april, the weather was fantastic which made the stay even better. We had a balcony seaview room, the extra £10 is deinately worth it. the room was clean, tidy and peaceful with a lovely view of the sea.

The staff were all very nice, nothing was ever too much. even give you local tips on great resturants and places to go. Would definately go back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2011

nice location, but hotel interia is very old and in need of a facelift, beds need replacing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dean043
Also consider these accommodations in or near St.Saviour
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
#6 of 32 in St. Helier
Merton Hotel
Merton Hotel
#2 of 5 in St.Saviour

Been to Hotel De Normandie? Share your experiences!