See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 30, 2013

First holiday in Yonks made more than comfortable by Ian and his staff. Good varied breakfast menu ( the veggie one was great havn't had Haloumi in years ). Nice big comfortable room overlooking the golf course ( more later), the only drawback is that the airport wakes up at 0700 most mornings, but I would imagine that a large number of more expensive places are worse in this aspect as they are nearer.
Also had a couple of evening meals at the hotel too, superb. I was a little worried when I saw the word gastropub, as past experience of gastropubs means "a little bit of nothing on a big white plate". No such problem here, a ruddy great plateful, well prepared, well presented and homemade bread to die for if you have the soup. Can't comment on the sweets as too full to contemplate.

The Golf course is a gorgeous little par 3 only let down by the tees which are mats, challenging in lineand club selection with huge rolling greens. Realy enjoyed the course, and with its elevation changes I had been also been given a good work out. The course is in good condition and very picturesque. Don't let the fact that it is a par three course effect your choice of stay it is not a pitch and put by any stretch of the imagination.

Message for Ian met an old freind of yours at Samoures manor named Brian who learned his golf at Wheatlands said to remember him to you.

Thanks for making our stay very pleasant and a great base to see this wonderful Island.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob S
Reviewed August 23, 2013

As the previous posts have already commented on the dated décor, I can only say that the location,cleanliness and friendliness of the staff made our stay here very enjoyable.I would recommend to any of my friends a stay at this Hotel if they were visiting Jersey, with the caveat of if you want 5 star you have to pay 5 star

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank John A
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at Wheatlands 8 years ago and had two lovely holidays. What a change this time and how disappointing. The place is completely run down. Whilst the two staff were friendly and helpful the place was filthy, with no cleaning in the main areas. The bedrooms were OK and beds were made with clean linen, but it was only a £30 a night hotel, not the £80 charged. There was no wireless and the television didn't work.
I spoke to the owner and he said that he was "struggling with the recession". No wonder he doesn't get return visitors as he doesn't seem to understand how a hotel business works. If you can't be bothered to do the basics then don't charge customers for something they are not getting. The golf course was in the same condition and looked thoroughly neglected.
Quite sad really as we won't be returning to Wheatlands!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter J
IanWheatlands, Owner at Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for your review. I seem to be defending myself a lot recently.

I believe the rate was £40 per person B&B, not £80. I did not say we were struggling with the recession, I said we were struggling to raise additional finance in the recession in order to make the improvements we would like to make. There is a big difference.
We do not have wireless in the rooms, and have never advertised that we do. We do however have limited wireless access in the common areas of the two bars.
I am absolutely amazed at your comments about our golf course which is one of the most beautiful in Europe!! We have two full time greenkeepers who work full time making it so.
All of our televisions work. If you had a problem with it we would have come to fix it if informed.
As for the common areas cleanliness, I will take this up with the staff, as we do try to make sure we are clean and tidy at all times.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have liked, but I am not sure what more I can say.

Kind regards
Ian, Owner

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and found Jersey to be good value for money and very child friendly. Wheatlands is in an excellent position to tour the island with easy access by foot or car to the beach. Breakfast is outstanding and the staff very helpful. The room we had for 4 was large clean with a fantastic view but decoration is tired. Very good value for money. The outside space gives kids room to run and play. The smallish pool it serves its purpose my two children loved the space. Meals at the hotel were good value and the surrounding area gives loads of reasonable choices to eat out. On a cloudy day we found loads to visit and do. Really good family break.

Room Tip: So much to do in Jersey I felt that we spent little time in the room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Rooms a bit small and dated but comfortable and clean. Good facilities and breakfast was excellent. Staff were friendly and very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Good central location and lovely views. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carole A
IanWheatlands, Owner at Wheatlands Hotel, Gastropub & Golf Course, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. I believe it to a very fair reflection of our hotel. We really look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit our fair Isle.
Ian