“Best Crab I've had in Jersey!!”
Review of Cafe Louise

Cafe Louise
Ranked #8 of 15 Restaurants in St. Martin
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Best Crab I've had in Jersey!!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This humble little cafe lies at the bottom of Gorey Castle, over looking the quaint little harbour at the east of the Island. My family and I stopped by early one afternoon for a spot of lunch. We were quite hungry after exploring the castle (and it's many many steps) so opted to go to this small, yet very busy cafe. The staff were welcoming and very helpful in rearranging two tables for us upon arrival. The kids had the home-made Lasagne and a jacket potato with cheese and coleslaw- both portions were huge and you could tell from the taste that quality ingredients were used.

I had the crab salad and my husband had the seafood platter and oh my goodness it was beautiful! The crab (picked white meat and some brown meet in the shell) was so beautifully fresh and the portion was very generous- apparently it is caught the previous day and cooked and picked overnight ready for the morning. You can't get any fresher than that!!!! My husbands dish was indeed a platter full of crab, prawn and salmon and was so large that he didn't need dinner in the evening.

As it was a lunch time the cafe was incredibly busy, yet the staffs attention and manners never wavered- even when some of the foreign customers sounded like they were being rude- something I think is a lost-in-translation culture issue. I don't think they appreciated just how busy this small cafe and how stressful the lunch time shift can be when customers are so picky.

All food coming out of the kitchen looked delicious and I will certainly be going back next time I come to Jersey. I highly recommend this place for some local, and tasty, food. Thank you Cafe Louise!

• Visited September 2013

Dundee, United Kingdom
“Grotty cafe”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Went to cafe Louise in Gorey every time we visit and true it's small and simple but this time it was pretty dirty. The tables hadn't been wiped down in between customers and the place was full of flies with no attempt to get rid of them. I know it's difficult in high summer but hello there is such a thing as an insectocuter. Got a dirty glass when I ordered and the cutlery wasn't much better. Will not be going there again.

• Visited August 2013
“Unfulfilled potential”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

In a great location at the foot of mont orgueil castle but it doesn't make best use of this on two levels 1) food 2) service.
Apparently it is table service, which it doesn't tell you on the outside. You have to go in to be told in a tone that makes you feel like a naughty schoolboy.
My wife had a teacake which was ok, but I defy anyone to do a bad teacake. My egg mayo sandwich was flavourless and on the cheapest white bread known to mankind !
I asked for a packet of crisps to be told crisps came with the sandwich. No sign of that on the menu, only that they charge extra for salad with it.
I was glad I had the extra as 6 came with it !
Also the manager was telling a young member of staff off in the doorway. Not exactly good HR practice.
So in summary......avoid.

• Visited August 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Absolutely dreadful - avoid!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Had a cream tea which was the worst we have ever eaten. The scones were dry, tasteless and must have been full of additives as they gave us dreadul indigestion. We are amazed that other reviewers found them to be delicious - maybe they need to try some proper home-made ones? They tasted like they had been made from a cheap packet mix. The tea was grey and obviously cheap.
The service was indifferent, the young girl surly and clearly did not want to be there. The owners stood around doing very little apart from smoke. Had we have seen the conditions at the back of the service area before we paid we would definitely not have eaten there. Fresh foods were piled on top of one another so that any germs on the bottom of the serving dish could contaminate other foods, unwrapped bread amongst salad items and the sandwiches are clearly made from cheap 'value' bread - yuk! The teacloths on display were filthy. Clearly there is not enough romm 'back of house' and the conditions are unacceptable. One guy had an open wound on his arm but was preparing food for customers!
There are several places to eat in the area and we are only sorry that we chose this place. Never again, definitely nothing to recommend it.

• Visited July 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Accused of not paying my bill.”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I wanted to agree with other reviews that the scones, jam and cream were very good, the tea however could hardly pass for a cup of tea and tasted like very cheap tea. Our cream teas came really quick and it was good service.

The worst part was the staff, the owners I think, took it in turns to smoke outside the premises in view and then go back in and serve.

When we had finished, My husband and I left the cafe and went to the toilet which is the public toilets next door to the cafe, and it was when I came out of the toilets that the cafe owner was there waiting for me and said my husband hadn't paid the bill, (we had paid the bill when we ordered as requested). I told her we had paid etc etc and she again said 'we hadn't paid the bill', and no one remembered us paying, i confirmed again i had paid but she said she still had an open tab for us.

How rude!

If the staff had been more attentive rather than in and out smoking then maybe they would have remembered their customers and had a system in place to record who pays. Eventually one of her staff did confirm we had paid but only when i had to find her and ask her to confirm with the owner, only then better late than never did the owner apologise, but it was all too late and It goes without saying we were offended, the tea was horrible and we will not be going back here.

• Visited July 2013