“A hotel where excellence is paramount”
Review of Chateau La Chaire

Chateau La Chaire
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in St. Martin
Reviewed December 30, 2009

My wife and I have stayed in many top class hotels over the years and we seldom revisit places we have been except in the case of Chateau La Chaire in Rozel Bay, Jersey, Channel Islands. We have stayed here now over four times and each time, the service has been first class. This time, we stayed with friends who have never been before and their comment to us is 'We would like to come again for a longer stay, but not eat as much food'. (bear in mind it was Christmas time). From booking to leaving at the end of our stay, the experience has been second to none. We have stayed in rooms and Suite and the standard of these rooms are superb. They are well equiped with every comfort you will need. The level of cleanliness and the attention to detail is of a high standard. The hotel is located in a beautiful valley with trees and a surrounded by lovely gardens. The lane beyond the hotel building is quiet and great for a walk to the top where there are breath taking views of the channel towards France. Rozel Bay is towards the other end of the lane
The staff worked very hard to make our stay most enjoyable. Nothing is too much to ask for. The management is focussed and has direction and the staff works well as a team.
The standard of cooking is first rate - by a chef who's passion for good food is evident in every dish served up.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank lyla2

Reviewed December 29, 2009

We spent our 5th Christmas here and that gives an idea of how lovely it is for Christmas. The hotel is tastefully decorated and cheerful. All the staff are very friendly, helpful and efficient. Rooms are very clean and comfortable. Dining room sparkles with glass and shiny cutlery. Most of the food is of a high quality and beautifully served. We did, however, miss having a range of fresh vegetables with every main meal, (they were included on Christmas day) and found the choice on set menus somewhat limited. We do know, from little things we have pointed out previously, that the management listen and take note of suggestions and so we will be returning again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2009

Excellent hotel, excellent staff and excellent food. What more is there to say? Cannot wait to go back. Totally recommend this place.

Reviewed December 7, 2009

The hotel made all of our reservations for us, flights and car hire, and everything was exactly as they had promised. From the moment we entered the hotel we knew that we had found something special. The foyer was beautifully decorated for Christmas, we were welcomed immediately and shown into a beautiful lounge, where we were offered a welcome drink while we completed the formalities for our stay.

The hotel lounge was impressive, large but cosy, with a Christmas tree, several couches, a drinks trolley, and a small library of books, and dishes of sweets on the tables. A superb Jersey cream tea was served in the lounge at our convenience during the afternoons of our stay. We also chose to have cocktails in this room before dinner, which were accompanied by a tray of delicious canapes. We booked standard rooms but our bedrooms were both large and extremely well appointed, individually furnished with all the comforts needed for our stay.

Undoubtedly the highlight of our visit was dinner, which was included on both nights. This was a five course meal served in an elegant dining room, and we could not fault the magnificent food, which was most beautifully presented. The petit fours served with coffee in the lounge afterwards were excellent!

Service at the hotel was exceptional. It was efficient, courteous and friendly, and we cannot speak highly enough of every member of the staff that we met. We all agreed it had been one of the most comfortable hotels we have stayed, and we would have no hesitation in recommending it. The package offer of a two night stay, which included flights, car hire, breakfast, tea and dinner, completey exceeded our expectations .

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank BrightonAnna
Reviewed December 7, 2009

We have been regular guests at Chateau La Chaire since our son wished to celebrate his 21st birthday at the hotel some 6 years ago. We have stayed at other hotels on the island (namely Hotel de France, The Radisson SAS, Le Charriers, and a couple of others which are possibly not even worthy of a mention, but as we have got older (and more wiser hopefully) we now choose our hotels more discerningly. Now though, we would only ever consider staying at Chateau La Chaire. Why? Well it provides the best hotel experience you could wish for. Our stay at this hotel is always greeted with the most friendly staff. The food is exemplary (I have never tasted food like it, and is excellent value for money). During our most recent stay we were fortunate to stay over a weekend, so had the good fortune to sample sunday lunch. I still drool when I think about the most beautiful meal we have had in along while. There is nothing to fault at this hotel as far as we are concerned. The hotel is an old 'chateau' - as such not a purpose built, soulless, clinical building (such as the Radison SAS waterfront in St. Helier; or even Hotel de France - which used to be our favourite, but has long since gone off the boil) . To my mind, the staff in a hotel can make or break a holiday/trip - other hotels on the island just do not meet the grade of the staff at Chateau la Chaire. In fact, I think CLC are missing out here, perhaps they could offer some sort of training experience for the hotel trade called "this is how it is supposed to be done".

If I had to be negative at all about the hotel, I would say that the top floor rooms need overhauling. The ceilings are quite low - given that these rooms are technically in the roof space, so in parts of the room the eaves impact with ones head, if you're not vigilant! This however, I would imagine is not going to change - impossible to do anything about, and perhaps the nature of the beast etc. But having said that, I think a little more thought in style of room could go a long way to distract from this drawback of the 'attic rooms'. I have not seen the rooms on the first floor, but I would imagine the same 'country house charm' is used throughout; which lends to the charm of the hotel. It is never going to be a boutique hotel. If that is what people want, then I would suggest Le Club (St. Helier), or heaven forbid, the Radisson SAS (although this hotel I would imagine is more in keeping with Butlins than Boutique).

We are very pleased to be able to say that our stays at this hotel are always memorable. We go home feeling like we have had an excellent break, eaten a wealth of gastronomic delights, and been truly spoiled by the ever-generous staff who think of everything, and nothing is too much trouble. This is a small hotel (some 12 or so rooms), it is immensley popular with the Jersey 'locals' -a good sign I think. It is set in a sloping wooded area of the most charming small fishing 'village' of Rozel. It has a real country house feel to it, particularly in the winter months. If you are thinking of staying here, and feel even slightly put off by the reviews pointing out the inadequacies , then I would tell you that I am amongst the most fussiest of people when it comes to hotels (never quite trusting that rooms are cleaned as well as I would wish them to be etc etc), but I never hold such doubts about Chateau La Chaire. I have lost count of the number of hotels we have walked out of (having booked them on the internet, only to find them quite awful in real life - the Radisson SAS being one such hotel in Jersey). My husband knows he can relax when we go to Jersey and stay at Chateau La Chaire, becuase he knows he won't be checking out until it is our proper departure day (unlike other hotels when departure day is the same as arrival day!!). We enjoy some of the worlds best 5 star hotels (Paris - Hotel de Crillon; Maldives - Full Moon Island; Venice - Bauer Il Pallazzo) to name but a few, but the Chateau La Chaire will never be matched for its cuisine and staff who are 100% genuinely attentive.

Looking forward to our next stay at this hotel.

1  Thank NYfoody4321
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Rooms were cosy and welcoming, and the decor was excellent. Bed was really comfy and all amenities were provided, even turned down the bed for us in the evening. Loved the chocolate on the pillow, but due to the fantastic meals in the restaurant we never ate them.

Best bathroom we have ever had in a hotel room, provision of bathrobes was an excellent plus in my book.

Restaurant superb from breakfast through to dinner with excellent choice and service (perhaps the choice would have been limited for vegetarians, but I am sure any request would have been catered for. My shellfish allergy did not cause the chef a problem, meals were adjusted for me).

Always a smile, from everyone!!! Fantastic

Reviewed November 27, 2009

I have stayed in Jersey for the first time and here for 2 nights. I ended up having my worst nightmare!

What happened was that I found their high-tech shower broken after I became naked to take a shower. I pushed the shower button a hundred times hoping it would switch on to no avail. After 15 minutes or so I started feeling cold and I had to get running hot water from the faucet to warm my freezing body with a tiny hope. My husband helped me with the button but all our efforts were “drained to water.” Finally, we had to give up and washed ourselves with the running hot water from the faucet miserably. Can you imagine a big man/woman crawling under a faucet for running hot water.

In the next morning before we went driving the island we told the manager named Mark in the front desk what happened the night before and asked him to check the shower. He promised to do so with a “wink.”

We have spent hours driving the island and returned to the hotel after dinner in town around 9pm hoping to be able to take a shower without trouble before going to bed.

No one was at the front desk then and we rang a bell and a waiter/bell boy came out to give us the key. There was no message to us from the manager and they didn’t ask us to change rooms or anything. So we thought the shower was fixed.

We were wrong! The shower was not fixed. It was too bad that I found it again after I became totally naked in this cold winter night. Then the same miserable shower experience. I had to crawl under the faucet to wash myself.

This time I got so mad and put on a bathrobe and called the manager. He said, “We checked the shower but something inside the button was broken and we need to ask an engineer to come and fix it. And it will be after tomorrow. You are checking out tomorrow, etc…” I asked, “Why didn’t you tell me that when we returned?” “I didn’t see you.” he said shamelessly! I couldn’t believe he said that. I complained, “You could have left a message at the front desk giving us a choice to move to another room.” This is the right thing for him to do as a manager if he knew the shower was not fixed, or even an upgrade, a bottle of wine, or a box of chocolate with a letter of apology at a first rated hotel! He offered us to use a bathroom next door but I was too tired to start it over. I said, “I already took a bath (if I can call the “crawling under the faucet” taking a bath).” Then he said, “Oh, you already did! ……..as if everything was all right! I didn’t have a choice!

I totally couldn’t believe his attitude. He is a con man. He “knowingly” sells a defect to you but he says there will be no refund because you have already used it. My anger was amplified by his attitude and complained further that this was not what we deserved from staying at a 3 star hotel. He seemed offended and said he had trouble understanding me because of a language difficulty and would talk to me the next morning and hang up! What’s wrong with this man? Shouldn’t he come to his customer’s room to explain and apologize if his customer is unhappy?

Of course he neither apologized to us next morning nor gave us a room discount despite he sold us a complete defect! Like “chorus7” in the past review says we would never return to the Hotel while he was still Manager.

The restaurant foods were excellent but this horrible shower experience with the con manager outweighed everything else to rate this hotel “terrible.”

I even started doubting after reviewing other peoples’ comments that he knew the broken shower long before we checked in. Still he continues to do the same trap to his customers over and over!

By the way, my husband used a bathroom next door and commented that the shower next door seemed suffering from “urinary stones” and all in all the shower system at the hotel was worse than the hotel he stayed in Borneo Island, Indonesia which cost only 3 pounds!

2  Thank himegimi
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2009

Despite recognising that this client was not satisfied with their stay it is unfortunate that this appears a rather unfair review of their situation.

The client reported a broken shower to the assistant manager, not myself as claimed, during the morning and despite what may have appeared lighthearted with a 'wink' I'm sure it wasn't an intentional effort to dismiis the difficulty. Since this is a newly installed digital power shower, an engineer was called straight away.

Once the engineer arrived he highlighted that the start/stop button had be broken by being pushed in too hard and breaking the sensor inside. We immediately ordered a new button which needed to be couriered from the UK and unable to fix immediately. The room was occupied previously and we were certainly unaware of anything amiss despite the reviewers comments.

The reception desk was advised to speak with the client on their return however this was not until 9pm. Unfortunately the receptionist was away from the desk at the time and the client was given their key by a passing waiter from the restaurant who knew nothing of their problem.

By the time we knew they had returned they were phoning reception from their room. I spoke with them at this time and offered the room next door with the same 'high tech' shower but this was turned down. They told me that they had already had a bath. I apologised again for the lack of the shower and advsied that we should speak again in the morning face to face at reception since it was now 10.30pm and they had just got out of the bath. It would seem that this was not clearly understood.

The next morning, after using the next door shower, the client departed without a bad word despite talking with the assistant manager.

The shower used that morning was the same system as in their own room so am unaware of what the comment 'urinal stone' would refer to. This is a new shower with no problem at all, in a newly refurbished bathroom.

We recognise that despite being a highly rated red star hotel, things can go wrong, particularly with such an old building where new modern facilities are added. Unfortunately, one way or another things in hotels do get broken and need replacing. When things like this do happen then we always do our utmost to ensure that issues are dealt with appropriately and professionally at all times.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Martin
#1 of 32 in St. Helier
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#6 of 32 in St. Helier

Been to Chateau La Chaire? Share your experiences!