“"Perfect"”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in St. Martin
Perth, Australia
“"Perfect"”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I booked this for my parent's Golden Wedding anniversary and they were delighted with everything. They stayed in the Suite, loved the furniture, said the room was super - could hear the birds singing. All located in a quiet bay with few people. Food was great and I must say as the booker, the hotel was superb with it's help making the reservation from overseas. My mother wrote we couldn't have chosen anything better anywhere for them and described her stay as 'perfect.' Thank you Chateau La Chaire.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
London
Reviewed May 7, 2014

The hotel is tucked away from the road leading to the village and Bay of Rozel. In common with the rest of island it is not sign-posted hence not very easy to find – we found it almost by accident. The elegant building first built in 1843 and then expanded by subsequent owners is a solid three star establishment and has only 14 rooms.

Drive past the hotel parking lot and take a very sharp right to arrive at the door – this will save you lugging the baggage up the steep steps.

The rooms on the first floor are spacious and airy although some on the second floor we found rather wanting. There was this characteristic musky smell in all the rooms we peaked into as well as ours, the narrow staircase leading there was in need of renovating and carpets appeared well-worn. Same applied to the bedrooms.

Rooms are sizeable enough and, as mentioned earlier, there are no tea/coffee making facilities. This fact, despite manager’s protestations, is a significant shortcoming. There is no safe although there seems to be no need for one, bathrobes and slippers are also provided.

Although the hotel may appear small at first it nevertheless offers a lot of privacy and space to its guests. Staff in general, excepting perhaps the rather inflexible junior manager, were friendly and helpful. Great idea to be seated in the comfortable lounge with the drink when ordering the dinner from the menu.

The hotel operates a system of honesty sheets where you note down the drinks you consume be it from the lounge trolley or from the minibar in your room. It struck us as a bit of a gimmick as staff was always on hand to attend to your requirements.

Breakfast was quite standard – its make-up has not changed over our three days’ stay – though you can order a variety of hot dishes, all included in the rate. Breakfast was open until 10 am which is good enough for most people.

The restaurant, despite its reputation, can be a bit of a hit-and-miss. Those who eat fish are slightly favoured; some dishes were more appetising and sophisticated than others. The gourmet (included) dinner is offered in the rather narrow window between 7.00 and 8.30pm.

There are surprisingly extensive (5 acres) terrace gardens at the back hotel but beware rather steep and largely neglected steps. Get to the top and relax on the chair by the water tank.

If you are buying flights and car package from the hotel beware the extras: hold luggage fees, usual car excess fees and the car company scam where you pay for the quarter tank (?) of fuel upfront.

Definitely the place to stay in Jersey.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 8,9 and 10
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Globetrotter008
Winchester
Reviewed April 22, 2014

On visiting Chateau La Chaire again this Easter, this time having taken their 'package' including car hire and flights (with Flybe) from Southampton, I was surprised to find out on arrival at Southampton airport, that 'Bags' (luggage) had not been included in the package.
Having paid the premium 'at airport' price of £80 for 2 bags, I questioned, with the hotel receptionist, upon arrival as to why I had not been informed of this omission.
Before receiving an answer, the manager appeared and stated, in a brusque and rather rude manner, that I had been informed at the time of booking, that 'bags' were not included.
I have subsequently read through all of the Email communications which I received in respect of the booking, and there is no mention of 'baggage exclusion.
Whilst I have no problem in paying extra for the bags, I was not (and still am not) satisfied with this individual's response.
If this hotel wishes to attract return visitors (this was my third stay at the hotel), I think they should consider getting rid of the incumbent manager sooner rather than later.
He is obviously in the wrong job, discourteous and rude. I will not be returning whilst he is 'in situ' !

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel are very nice, Hyacinth in particular.
3 Thank ROBUKWINCHESTER
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I think the situation regarding your luggage at the airport had upset you before your arrival at the hotel because after abruptly declining the usual check in procedure you immediately questioned the receptionist regarding your luggage with an underlying suggestion that we reimburse you. I was watching the conversation from close by and after seeing her close to tears I found it necessary to assist. Perhaps I was a little off after seeing your over assertive attitude and I apologise if this was the case but whilst I understand your frustration, this is unacceptable in any situation. Perhaps in writing your review you may not have considered this.

As explained at the time any luggage costs are not included with any of our travel packages and this is clearly highlighted at our website on the package details page and with your booking confirmation. The confirmation also details how to book your luggage and that the most cost effective method is to book in advance. We book hundreds of flight inclusive packages each year without issue and keep copies of all confirmations and I can confirm that yours does offer these details.

I did try to initiate conversation with you on several occasions during your stay without success however I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and hope you consider another stay in the future.
Paisley, Scotland
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed for two nights in the Daisy room. The room is nicely decorated, big comfy bed and decent bathroom (including fluffy robes). TV with the usual channels. The ceiling was a little tight but that's the nature of the building. The view wasn't great but that didn't bother us.

The man who greeted us on arrival was very pleasant (I think he may have been the manager), the other staff were as attentive as they needed to be but you felt perhaps not as interested as the first man.

The reception area and lounge are nicely decorated and comfortable. There is a small bar in the lounge and plenty of DVDs to borrow if the mood takes you.

Breakfast was good, nice selection freshly prepared.

We felt the afternoon tea was a bit of a waste as we were out exploring in the middle of the afternoon when it was served. The hotel isn't somewhere you can nip back to easily if away around the island. The first day we managed to blag a couple of scones and tea later in the day instead but the second day the kitchen said this wasn't possible. Fair enough but it's not a cheap hotel and a wee something would have been appreciated.

The village of Rozel is pretty small but with another restaurant, bar and tearoom it has everything you could ask for in a small village. Well worth a wander on a nice evening as very pretty.

Well worth hiring a car if you want to explore as the hotel is not in the centre of the island - but some breathtaking views on the drive there.

1 Thank David-Scotland
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay overall and had a chance to view the island in some great sunshine. Although we are on a regular bus route its always best to get a hire car to get the best out of your visit.

Our afternoon tea is offered as a complimentary extra for all rooms and served every day between 2.30pm - 5pm. I feel 5pm is late enough for a cream tea but we are always flexible to a certain degree. I know on arrival we arranged a later tea because you arrived late in the day but we wouldn't regularly want to be serving cream tea during dinner service
Devon
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a three night break at Chateau la Chaire and I would recommend it to anyone who appreciates good food and attentive service in a unique setting. As the manager has said in a previous response, the hotel does not have as many facilities as chain hotels, but the personal service and attention to detail make up for that. The food was excellent, the bed comfortable and the weather a glorious bonus!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

While thinking that reviewer John N possibly went a little to far with a few of his comments in Buyer beware, I find I agree with most of his points.The Attic rooms were small and cramped with small windows overlooking a car park.(the cobwebs in which were only surpassed by the long web dangling from the high ceiling in the dining room)
I find it amazing also that a hotel of this so called calibre does not have Tea and Coffee making facilities in the rooms.(probably for the profits as it is £2.50 p per person for Tea and Coffee in the room in the morning.)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I'm obviously disappointed you didn't enjoy your room but please understand that as an old house and not a purpose built hotel all of the rooms are of different shapes and sizes and allocated according to the package booked. If there is a particular room you prefer simply look at our website which details all rooms individually with pictures of each and just let us know.

Being an old house in the country we are plagued with cobwebs unfortunately but I can assure you that housekeeping do make a daily sweep. Please accept my apologies if your room was missed on this occasion.

To provide tea & coffee facilities in the room would have meant an increase in room rate for 2014 which we did not want to do. Its not an effort to make more money but rather an effort not to increase rates to customers who do not use the facilities. Those that do simply pay for a higher quality service and choice than your average in room tea tray. We are not the only hotel to do this as I am sure you will discover on future stays not only in Jersey but further afield.
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed 3 nights for a long weekend - returning after 23 years to our honeymoon hotel.
Still a very nice hotel - external paintwork a bit "flaky" - staff very good and helpful - English speaking was adequate but only just - good ratio of staff to guests - good occupancy rate so they must be doing it right - Breakfasts superb - we never had dinner there as nothing on the menus really grabbed us but Jersey has plenty of good eating establishments - even in early April, so no worries - Room (standard, Marigold) OK but nothing special for a 4 star hotel - Manager returned (from a weekend off) Monday morning and it was good to be able to talk real English with a member of staff.
Will we return? I don't think so - we've seen Jersey and the hotel - neither are not special enough to return - there's plenty of other areas to explore - but very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Marigold was a good standard room - bedroom, dressing/sitting room plus bathroom.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Mike C
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay. It was nice to chat with you before you left the hotel and pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit overall.

Unfortunately the annual exterior maintenance is difficult to complete during the cold & wet season but now we have some prolonged sunshine and warmth in Jersey the gardener, painter and maintenance are out in force right now preparing for summer.

A shame you didn't take the opportunity to try the restaurant for dinner. We have a great selection changing daily with a lot of local produce and always pleased to cater for all tastes, even if not on the menu. You're quite right however that Jersey is a fantastic destination for 'foodies'.

Should you change you mind about visiting Jersey in the future please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll make the arrangements for a stay at the Chateau. It would be lovely to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Martin
#1 of 4 in St. Aubin
Greenhills Country Hotel
Greenhills Country Hotel
#1 of 2 in St. Peter

Been to Chateau La Chaire? Share your experiences!