“Local Tennerfest promo in Jersey”
Review of Chateau La Chaire

Chateau La Chaire
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in St. Martin
Reviewed November 24, 2012

In the "off-season" Jersey's restaurants run a "tennerfest" promotion between the Summer & Xmas to bridge the gap on income. This basically involves those in the promo offering set menus at a more affordable price ( they used to be £10, but overheads & Jersey local tax etc has meant these are usually £15-£17.50 ). Chateau La Chaire is a fabulous "step back in time" classic hotel - only 14 rooms but decor & ambience of somewhere where the guests are guests ( not just income ). From entering the hotel where you are met with a complimentary Port to being asked what time you want your meals , makes you feel you could get used to this!
The food is very well presented & there is an air of relaxed dining , not pushed on the service.
The rooms are very characteristic & ours ( No3 Foxglove ) had a modern jacquizi & bathroom, free wifi complimented by more traditional furniture.
Back to the promo, for 1 nights nights stay, inc 5 course evening meal plus full breakfast the next morning was just £99 - a bargin - though i know this was a "midweek" price & naturally prices will be higher at weekends etc
The staff are very courteous & the only concern is that the people of Jersey ( & those visiting ) think that the town centre hotels ( Radisson,Grand,Royal Yacht etc ) are better places to stay... well okay if you like impersonnal places to stay but why not take a 15min drive to the little cove of Rozel, where it is quiet, friendly & above all else laid-back... lovely
The only blot I had , was the state of the once-famous hillside garden.. it has a lovely micro-climate & with someone employed to bring it back to its former glory it would look lovely.
Overall a fantastic place, excellent food & great staff - don't delay , book a night or two !!

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room. Bus stop outside for those who dont have a car.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Like other travellers we purchased the Travelzoo voucher for a 3 night stay in Chateau la Chaire in the charming little harbour of Rozel. This included the use of a car for a week plus flights from Southampton, so was great value. We also paid to stay an extra night. We really fell in love with Jersey and this charming country hotel in the picturesque harbour of Rozel. The rooms were comfortable, lovely breakfasts and such helpful, polite, attentive staff, especially the receptionists.

Jersey was a really lovely place to drive around, rather narrow roads in places and not brilliantly signposted, but at a maximum speed of just 40 mph and many place just 30 mph, with most people obeying these speeds, it really made a relaxing change from the usual mad rush people seem to drive at in the UK mainland. There are so many great places to eat at in Jersey, we found the locals friendly and the views around the coast spectacular. This was all enhanced by staying in such a comfortable, warm and charming hotel. We would love to go back sometime!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

For my wife's 50th birthday I booked 3 nights at the Chateau la Chaire, this was booked through travel zoo and the deal included flights, car hire a 3 nights on a half board basis.

I upgraded to a superior room, and we were allocated "Hyacinth " which was room no 2, which was lovely spacious room which had a Jacuzzi bath and a balcony.

The staff were all excellent and very kind, and nothing was to much trouble.
The food was outstanding, they even provided a wonderful cake on my wife's birthday, which contributed to this special birthday.
Not forgetting the Jersey cream team served in the afternoons, just lovely.

Special thanks to Susan for her kindness,
Great stay in a real hotel, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes good food, lovely rooms, and excellent service
Many thanks for a great stay

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

In April this year my son treated me to a week-end at this beautiful hotel as a 60th birthday gift - I enjoyed my visiti so much I immediately re-booked and returned last month for a 10 day stay (son came too - mountain bike strapped to car, much too energetic for me). My stay was delightful and as near perfect as is possible. The staff are so pleasant especially the two young ladies on reception for whom nothing was too much trouble and always smiling. All areas are kept spotlessly clean and the young lady who looked after my room did so in a very unobtrusive manner and was always smiling and pleasant. I must mention Susan who every time we met was courteous and pleasant and was ready to listen and take on board the one small problem I brought to her attention, very professional.
The breakfasts were lovely, relaxing atmosphere either in the conservatory or dining room, the service was good, selection of fruit could have been more interesting but more than enough choice. I had lunch on the Terrace on our first Sunday which was a lovely day and the food was delicious, absolutely faultless. The afternoon teas are not to be missed and I made sure that was the case yummy!! We did not have dinner in the hotel very often as we wished to dine around and also Octoberfest began when we visited but the meals we did have were very pleasant.
One negative comment would be that only the Superior rooms offer a walk in shower whilst all other standard rooms have a shower over the bath. As I require the stand alone shower for health reasons it means I have to pay for the more expensive room. This is not a great problem as I loved both the Superior rooms I have been allocated but something to be aware of.when booking. I would point out that the web site shows every room in great detail and is very accurate.
This is a wonderful hotel with its own very unique atmosphere. I returned home relaxed and revived but before leaving booked for two visits next year.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2012

hi I have booked at The Chateau several times and generally the hotel is very good. beware the rooms upstairs which can be a bit pokey. Onmy last booking i paid a £500 pounds deposit. i was unable to go (unbeknownst to me the Hotel has kept my credit card details )the hotel rang me aqnd demanded a further £650 pounds in full payment wnhewn I said i felt this was unfair the attitude was "tough read the t&cs " and then proceeded to ttake the money off my credit card despitew the fact that I forbad it. I visited the Elysium hotel this summer in Paphos 5* hotel I read the T&cs rthewre if you cancel with no notice they charge the first bights stay. Perhaps the Chateau should rethink their policy. I certainly wont be staying there again as I believce sharp practice doesnt deserve patronage

Room Tip: ground floor avoid attic rooms
Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
ChateauLaChaire, General Manager at Chateau La Chaire, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of our cancellation policy. It is always unfortunate to have to levy charges when a customer has to cancel their reservation at the last minute however in cases where the hotel has booked and paid for air travel on behalf of the customer we simply cannot be expected to accept this cost as a loss. We do understand that events may cause customers to have to change their plans but this is why we always recommend travel insurance which covers most eventualities.

We also advise all clients about the cancellation policy on every page of our website and in the confirmation details as well as the special offer page which holds the details of our travel package. This also has a specific request in bold letters to read the package terms before booking. Like every hotel we require all reservations to be confirmed by credit/debit card at the time of booking and your details will be charged up cancellation if applicable.

Any costs incurred by the hotel following cancellation are chargeable. We will always try to resell accommodation and avoid charges however this is not always possible with late cancellations.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Lovely old school hotel with charm, elegance and atmosphere. We stayed for one night in sept and had an afternoon tea, dinner bed & breakfast package and we would struggle to find fault. The check in was a little Chaotic but everything else surpassed our expectations. Lovely hotel, fantastic food and great service. A real delight for one night to get away. Probably only suited for couples but we received a warm welcome and great value for money. Overall a highly recommended retreat.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

A really different hotel it reminded me of a gingerbread house cut into the hill, A very peacefull and pretty location in the lovely coastal town of Rozel Bay in the far north of the island. A car is recommend limited parking directly outside the hotel, but a lower car park has plenty of spaces.
Helpfull and freindly staff always on hand, when checking in a glass of sherry or port was offered which was very well received, our room was on the top floor in the eaves very pretty unusal shape with a lovely eyebrow shaped window, very clean and well presented with lots of nice little touches lovely cream tea served on the patio in the sun. Plently of choice at breakfast more than the ordinary standard fayre.The hotel even had a honest bar which speaks for it self.
The Bontanic garden at the rear of the hotel has fallen into desrepair and does not warrent he effort of the climb up the back of the hotel and all the steps even the view up there is very overgrown and limited. But other than that the hotel is well worth a visit very nice.

Room Tip: Hollyhock room at the front on 2nd floor can be reccommended
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
Hotel La Place
Hotel La Place
#1 of 16 in St. Brelade

Been to Chateau La Chaire? Share your experiences!