“Bit worried coming here for Sunday lunch”

Ransoms Tearooms and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in St. Martin
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family restaurant and tearoom apart of large garden centre . Great day out to shop and dine , plenty of parking. Serving breakfast , lunch and afternoon tea . Open 7 days a week . Great selection of home made cakes and full A la cart menu .
surrey
“Bit worried coming here for Sunday lunch”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have visited the tearoom for the past four years at least once during our numerous visits to Jersey (3/4 times a year) and cannot really identify with the bulk of these recent critical reviews. OK, the place is busy, especially on a sunny day, the tables inside are perhaps packed tight in some areas but we have never found anything to criticise regarding service, staff or food.
So, it was with trepidation we booked a table for 2 at Sunday lunch just before Christmas this year. At 1pm the place was packed and had a lovely atmosphere. Quick service, friendly staff and the food excellent quality and value. My partner had mussels as a main course and commented on their freshness with no hint of grit. I had roast beef -excellent taste, lovely mixed veg and good value. No complaints about desserts. No shocks regarding price of soft drinks or even after scanning to wine list.
True the place was heaving, full of families with children, aged grandparents and so forth. I thought the staff coped well with their demands judging from those I saw on nearby tables. This place is a good restaurant based at a garden centre with a menu to cater for classic as well as special dishes. It is not Roccos at Claridges. It caters for the clientele you would expect and I think does a good job. At really busy times service may not be instantaneous nor will breakfast if you follow staff in at 9am as they open up.
So, I came away pretty satisfied and happy. I feel sorry for those whose expectations were not met and find it hard to believe some of these criticisms, but on a day that I am sure any basic deficiencies would have been exposed (eg Sunday lunchtime before Christmas) we had no quibbles. I thought it pretty good value for money and have experienced nothing to change my mind about the place.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank jomodu

Jersey, United Kingdom
“Appalling Service”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Was in the garden centre and fancied a cup of tea and a cake. I went in and asked for a table for one. The manageress looked at me as if I had grown an extra head. I asked if this was a problem and she said no but she was having a bad day. I felt so humiliated I left. I see that they are advertising for a new manager. This can only be a good move as service is all important in Jersey as there is so much competition.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank JerseyLiz720
F B, Owner at Ransoms Tearooms and Restaurant, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Very Sorry to hear about your experience with us. I have spoken to the supervisor who you saw. From what i understood you came to the door to be seated, the restaurant was full and there was a queue at the door with a waiting list. It is always advisable to book or pop over first before shopping to ensure a table is avalible after shopping, we will gladly reserve you one.
We welcome any numbers of people and do our very upmost to try and accomodate every one.
But i can only applogies for the behavour of our supervisor there is no exuse. i do hope this hasnt put you off coming again. And hope to see you again in the near future.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“whats happened here ?”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

from a lady serving us wearing wellies at the counter to not having the food of are choice , this place as so changed from what it was on are last visit to the island , we visited early morning around 9 for breakfast and tried to order poached eggs with RYE bread which we had on a previous occasion of a good standard but was told that it was no longer on the menu, we watched a little women using the vacuum and what looked like cleaning the toilet , at no point did it look like she had cleaned her hands and she was the eventual person who brought the food we wanted to us ....... the poached eggs were poor and we sent back , we asked then for scrambled egg on a breakfast which come shaped like a bowl, and tasted like powdered eggs , very average and the language on offer from the front of house staff was disgusting , this place is obviously putting profits over quality , as its pricey and the food not up to what it once was . all in all we wont be going back there in a rush !

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank youngtown
F B, Manager at Ransoms Tearooms and Restaurant, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Mrs Youngtown,
Very sorry to hear about your visit to our tearooms. None of our staff wear welly boots, i can only possibly think a member came on duty early, before her shift started, and saw people waiting at the till to pay, and instead of letting them wait and saying i dont start my shift for half an hour she went to serve them, putting the customer first. ( Sorry that offended you.)
Regarding the persons who clean the toilets and hoover the restaurant, they are all trained staff in heath and hygiene and of course she would have washed her hands, and that particular member of staff dosnt waitress.
We always serve RYE TOAST if you ask for it . Iam very sorry if you were told otherwise.
We certainly dont use powderd eggs they are all fresh.
I can only aplogies and it is a shame you didnt mention this at the time to a member of managment be it in the tearooms or garden centre and we could have addressed the situation, and it would have been better for you and for us so we could have dealt with it straight away, as your visit was some time ago, going by staff mentioned.

But none the less thank you for letting us know and brining this to our attention, all feed back is taken very seriously and we use this to improve our service and work with.
Again very sorry and i do hope you will visit again to give us the opportunity to reaffrim your once good opinion of us.
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Nice place for lunch”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Called in to have lunch before shopping in the Garden Centre. Very friendly staff, were seated quickly. Food did not take long to arrive but we had no cutlery or napkins as the table had not been laid. Food was ok, although my mash was very lumpy and the pie was really really dry, could have done with more gravy. However, a visit to the bakery next door is a must! Cakes to die for

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank MikeyJsy
Channel Islands
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stopped off here for our afternoon tea with some friends, whilst on a day trip to Jersey. The cream cakes are 'to die for' ...... mmmmmm

3 Thank jds9000