“Return visit - expected better !”

Ransoms Tearooms and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in St. Martin
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Family restaurant and tearoom apart of large garden centre . Great day out to shop and dine , plenty of parking. Serving breakfast , lunch and afternoon tea . Open 7 days a week . Great selection of home made cakes and full A la cart menu .
Spalding,Lincs
“Return visit - expected better !”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We visited the tearooms 12 months ago whilst on holiday and found the service poor.We thought this was probably a one off so tried it again whilst visiting Jersey this month but regretfully we were not impressed.
We initially sat outside but on getting no service I went inside to obtain some menus and the waiter said he would come and take our order.15 minutes went by and no sign of a waiter - in the meantime a couple on an adjacent tabel who had arrived before us and placed there order decided they could wait no longer and got up and left before their order arrived.
To overcome the problem we decided to go into the tearooms at which time the waiter said 'ah sorry I forgot you were waitng outside '.He promptly showed us to a table and to avoid further delays I placed our order before I got seated.Some 20 minutes later 2 very average cappucino's arrived.
This was mid morning and the tearooms did not appear particularly busy.The display of cakes and pastries look impressive and the decor and comfort is fine.As another reviewer mentioned you would expect better when paying £6 + for a slice of cake !
There was no evidence of a manager or manageress present and it did appear the staff did need some direction or motivation.
Doubtful if we will return again as there are plenty of other more tearooms in Jersey offering better service.

1 Thank avebury27

St Saviour, Jersey
“Undecided”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I visited the restaurant with family to celebrate my husbands birthday. It was a quiet evening with only one other table of 2 persons dining. The waiting staff were very attentive and the service was prompt and good. i was so full after my starter of Goat cheese parcel that I could only manage a small amount of my mains of lamb shank (it had a bit of a "taste" to it) so I had it doggie bagged and put it into the fridge when we got home. The next day I sliced the meat from the bone and ate it cold with bread. Sadly since eating the remainder I spent the rest of the week suffering a severe stomach upset, I am now convinced that the "taste" I experienced was infact meat on the turn and not due to the jus it was served in. It was certainly well cooked as the meat was very dark. The veg were well cooked and the salad with the Goat cheese parcel was excellent.

I am now undecided as to whether to give them another chance, but if I do i think I will stick to vegetarian options.

The cakes and desserts looked lovely with some being taken home. The Victoria sponge my Husband had was according to him the best he had ever tasted.

1 Thank MrsT47
Sarah R, Owner at Ransoms Tearooms and Restaurant, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Customer, Glad to hear you enjoyed the goats cheese parcel and the victoria sponge.
Sorry to hear you didnt enjoy your lamb shank, it is one of our best sellers, selling on average 10 to 15 portions aday.Bearing in mind we are extreamly busy in the lunch time, so food is always fresh. The lamb shank is braised slowly for six hours, in a red wine jus. So it is dark in colour. We can assure you we sold more than one in the course of the day and all were cooked in the same jus. Yours is the only complaint we have had to date regarding the lamb.
We sincerly hope you do come and see us again,to try our new winter menu starting next week.
Thank you very much for your feed back. Hope to see you soon.
London, United Kingdom
“feedback of friendly staff”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I recently visited the island and went to Ransoms where i purchased some bread and cakes from a very nice big chap in the bakery .

Did not dine in the restaurant but the cakes and bread were wonderful and served from a jolly helpful friendly man.

Angela from Berkshire

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Rosehill6242
“Disappointed, terrible breakfast, what's happened to the quality”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Been to ransoms for breakfast many times over the last 4 years, not sure if we will return. Bacon, as a previous reviewer stated was like leather, eggs had to be sent back as we're over cooked, miserable portion of beans, and mistakes made in our order which came out at very different times. Service was poor and clueless and acted as if it were our problem. Wouldn't be surprised if the scrambled eggs were microwaved given parts of the egg matched a shape of a bowl. Very disappointing.

3 Thank JerseyNatalie
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Coffee in the afternoon”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My friend and I had coffee the other afternoon. Her cake was huge and very dry and she only ate a small bit. I had a meringue which was not very nice either, too much custard and a bit of cream. We also thought that at £16 it was a rather expensive experience

2 Thank darkcandle