“It's a nearly got it all right hotel......”

Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“It's a nearly got it all right hotel......”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

First of all any review has to be subjective – what do you want and expect. We wanted a modern hotel, with a reasonably high, if uniform, level of service and facilities and some anonymity.
The location is great – a comfortable stroll to the town centre but on a quiet stretch of reclaimed land overlooking St Aubin’s Bay, the marina, and Elizabeth Castle and with plenty of space around to enjoy all three. I would suggest though that to really enjoy the peace and view you must get a room overlooking St Aubin’s Bay, not the Marina as the latter would mean you are over the bar/restaurant area - unless you like live music.
Plenty of car parking space – a real bonus on the Island.
The reception staff were excellent, even though most were “trainees” according to their badges. Staff in the restaurant are friendly enough but need a decent Manger to get a grip. Nothing infuriates me more – ok, many things do I guess - than staff who don’t look around a room to see if any guests need anything and so you can’t catch their eye! And I can only imagine how mind-numbingly boring serving breakfast in a large restaurant must be – lots of demands and no tips – but they all seemed so world weary.
The use of a “traffic light” system to give some indication of how busy to expect breakfast to be at the weekend at first seemed to smack of a cop out – i.e. they should make the restaurant big enough to cope – but in fact although we had to wait for a table – well we went down during red light time – it was really no problem as you don’t wait in line glaring at those guests lucky enough to have tables who are taking far too long to finish their toast but rather sit in the lounge bar with coffee and newspapers to hand until called, which wasn’t really very long. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case during the week when the tea, coffee and newspapers were absent and the sullen, grumbling crowds weren’t – another trick missed.
The restaurant itself is huge but designed in such a way that 4 of the 5 rows of tables have lovely views out over the marina and are spaced out so that you can enjoy your meal in comfort. The 5th, set back against the back interior wall is a bit more cramped and to be avoided.
Breakfasts were good, in fact all you would want, unless what you wanted had run out, which was the case with a few things like the soya yogurt and some of the cereals – requests to staff for replacements were dealt with by staff going away to check and then either themselves disappearing into the ether or coming back and shrugging that this was the problem of being on an island – really!
Dinner was a disappointment, a bit hotelly and ordinary. We only tried it the once. A tip – and sorry Radisson – turn left out of the Marina side door and 100 yards away you have Tiffin, one of the best restaurants on the island!
Being new the rooms are of course good, bright fresh décor and fair sized bathrooms.. But after a few days the shortfalls become a bit niggling …. Only about 16 inches of hanging space of which 6 is taken up by the ironing board! No clock. Bathroom light operated from a switch outside the bathroom – admittedly as many hotel bathrooms are…why? – which means you bath the whole room in light if making nocturnal visits. Pathetically small cups for the in-room tea and coffee. Some things they nearly got right, for example at last a hotel with a power socket near a mirror so you can dry your hair properly – or rather your wife can, mine no longer needs such attention – but then – not quite right, only one socket – what about hair drier AND straighteners Mr Radisson.
A great hotel though and hopefully, we’ll be back

Room Tip: You must get one overlooking the bay....
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rustyplough
JERZR, Manager at Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave this fantastic review pointing out our advantages and the areas of concern we need to focus on to improve our guest’s satisfaction.
We have indeed a privileged location with rooms overlooking the Marina, the Elizabeth Castle and St Aubin’s Bay, with breath-taking sunsets. Our spacious free car park, in the heart of St Helier is also one of our attractions.

As part of a relaxing entertainment programme we offer our guests live music in the weekends in the Martello bar. We have live performers throughout the year in the bar and during the summer on our sunny terrace. Whilst this does not run particularly late, I appreciate this is not to everyone’s taste and it could be an inconvenience for the guests staying in the rooms above the bar.
Thank you for your positive comments about our reception staff.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the breakfast staff’s attitude and with your dinner experience. We do usually receive such good feedback on these, but I am sorry that they didn't meet your expectations. Reading your review it sounds like you stayed with us during our high season in the summer months. I am sorry you had to wait for a table at breakfast, unfortunately during the summer this does happen. We are continuously working on speeding up and making our service more efficient. I am sorry the coffee, pastry and newspaper we offer for our waiting guests were not always available.

Regarding the restaurant design I am glad to inform you that we are looking forward to a big refurbishment including the reception, bar and restaurant. This is an exciting new project which will be a massive change in the look and ambience of our products. I hope to see you back for a future visit after this time, so we can show you the new look Brasserie and show you the service that we promise our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback about our room facilities, we do take these on board.
Hope to see you again soon!

Rita Czseppo
Restaurant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed here in June to visit friends and found the reviews very helpful, hence selected the hotel for our 2 nights stay. The hotel is very convenient located near (walking distance) to high street as the walk is very pleasant (10 minutes walk).

The check in was efficient and pleasant and the room met our needs for the 3 days stay. It is new and and well furnished for the price that we were paying for a Jersey hotel in the peak period during summer. Parking was convenient and there is a cinema located nearby if one fancys a movie rather than a pub crawl in town.

The service was effiicient as housekeeping promptly fixed the coffee machine when we informed them the machine was not working as it should be.

Overall a very pleasing stay in a new hotel located conveniently near the waterfront and also near town.

Room Tip: Do choose a room for a view of Elizabeth Castle as the setting sun gives a romantic view of the cast...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JERZR, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Hi and thanks for sharing your comments with us. We're so pleased that everything was to your satisfaction and you were happy with our high level of service and found it to be good value. As you point out, we're in a great spot to explore the sights and sounds of St Helier and we're a;sp very lucky to be in a picturesque setting on the waterfront which can take the breath away! We hope you found time to take a stroll along the marina and had a cosy and romantic weekend together. Hope to see you again soon :)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I held a business conference at the hotel in early November. The hotel was recommended by some local friends who live in Jersey. The staff were impeccable, hard working and could attend to your every need. Alex was our host for the day and I could not fault his attitude and professional edge, everything was set up, prepared and completed on time.

We held the conference in the Le Hocq suite, which is breathtaking and highly recommended.

The only downfall was that the lunch put on for us was a little out of season, but the little home made cookies and snacks put on throughout the day were wonderful.

I would certainly use the venue again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hello and thanks for taking the time to share your review. We're so pleased your friends recommended us to you and that our staff were able to look after you and your delegates so well. We'll pass on your kind words to our team, thank you :)
The Le Hocq Suite offers quite a stunning view and we're glad it took your breath away!
The best news is, you'll be back soon and we very much look forward to it.
Welling, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this wonderful hotel. We arrived at 10.00 a.m. and were pleased to find that our room was already available for us. We were upgraded to sea view as part of the package. Well worth it but as others have said, would have been nice to have had a balcony if staying in the summer. The room had everything you needed, including high speed wifi, good shower and tv. There was not much wardrobe space and would probably find it very difficult if staying more than a week. The beds were very comfortable and massive plump pillows. This hotel seemed to be used by mostly businessmen and airline crews.

The restaurant served wonderful food and we were fortunate to be staying during the Tennerfest time (1 October-11 November). This has now been extended to 30 November so had 3-course meal for £20 each which was well worth it.

The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice even served on hot plates. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bren1958
Hi and thanks for sharing your positive comments. It's such a pleasure to read such a glowing review and to know we're doing our job correctly! Delighted to hear you had a comfortable stay in our bedrooms, we plump our pillows especially well! ;) Glad you stayed over during our Tennerfest menu and found it good value. Thanks for your recommendation and we look forward to your next stay with us! :)
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I was very happy with my 2 night stay at the Radisson Blu for a recent business trip. The hotel building isn't the prettiest (after my trip I read in the guide book that it won an award for architectural ugliness!), and it's located in a modern harbour side development, near to a KFC, Fitness First etc. - practical but not the most charming. However, it's very easy to find, and is visible from the coastal road as you approach St. Helier from the west - I'd hired a car from the airport and located the hotel without a SatNav and with only rough directions. The hotel ticked all the boxes for a business trip: easy (less than 5 minute) walk into St. Helier's centre, good car park, excellent fast wifi, professional and efficient staff, large room with a big desk to work from. I'd only booked a cheaper inland-facing room, but was given a room overlooking the harbour, which was very spacious, modern and well-equipped. If I was to have one minor quibble, it would be with the indoor pool, which was really very small. One of the reasons I chose the hotel was for the chance for some swimming, but the pool was only about 10m long. There really aren't any other criticisms - I ordered room service one night, which was fine. The breakfast buffet was very comprehensive and the staff were polite and attentive. I really struggle to find criticisms - it seemed like a very well-managed, organised place, not a 5 star luxury experience, but very pleasant and perfect for my needs, and reasonable value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
JERZR, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Hello and thanks for taking the time. We're delighted that you were satisfied with everything and enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. We are indeed very easy to find and are very fortunate to have a spectacular waterfront location within minutes of the island's town centre and business district. So glad you received a complimentary upgrade to a sea facing room which is well worth it to gazeover the sparkling marina and St Aubins Bay. We pride ourselves on good organisation and it's very gratifying to know we're doing our job correctly. We look forward to your next visit! :)
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I loved this hotel. polite and professional check in, and room ready, even though quite early. BIG standard room, warm, clean, fresh....really good. room cleaned each day, and would go back there again. THE BIGGEST fish tank I have ever seen in reception, great bar area...really no complaints. Went for a swin/sauna...same here...great attitude staff...pool and changing rooms spotless....just wish I had had more 'downtime'.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
JERZR, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Hi Nik P,
Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, thanks! I hope we'll see you again if you're back here for work but maybe for a weekend when you can enjoy the facilities and the island with more time :)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night weekend break at the Radisson to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
I had previously e mailed the hotel with a few requests such as a quiet room on a high floor and if possible sea view. I have to say I had a very nice quick response from the hotel saying they will do their best with the requests but nothing guaranteed.
We arrived about 5.30pm after getting the bus from the airport. Only about 5 mins to walk from the stop to the hotel.
We were checked in by a nice young lady and I enquired about a sea view room and was told there would be a supplement. I did feel a little disappointed as by the e mail I did think if there was a room available then maybe seeing it was a special occasion we might have been allocated one. Never mind!!
Our room was on the 4th floor facing the city view. When we entered the room we were very happy. Big, bright and clean and had everything you would need. A nice clean bathroom too.
Unfortunately I was woken in the early morning by some noise but Im not sure where it came from. We were the first room from the lift so that might have been the problem. I am a very light sleeper though. On the second night I was woken by some noise with doors banging etc so another bad night for me. But I must say the bed and pillows were the best Ive come across and so comfy.
Breakfast was in a lovely big, bright restaurant with lovely views. The buffet was the best Ive had with almost everything you could imagine. My only gripe is that on the Sunday the pastries etc were not replenished and I had to go without.
The coffee was brought to your table and was lovely and hot. Overall excellent.
The hotel has a small pool, a small gym and a steam room and sauna. Quite small but quiet when we were there. I do feel though that some of the cv equipment needs to be upgraded as very old.
The hotel was about 5 mins from the town with some eateries in a complex a min from the hotel.
There is a lovely bar in the hotel with some music put on Fridays and Saturdays.
I would highly recommend this hotel in St Hellier and hope to return next year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tjgfitness
Hi tjgfitness,
Thanks for the review and congratualtions on your anniversary. I'm sorry we weren't able to upgrade you complimentary - we try to be flexible where we can although if you were here over the school holidays recently it was a very busy time for us which gives us less flexibility. I'm sorry to hear you were disturbed whilst sleeping, I hope with the comfy bed you got back to sleep quickly! Thank you for the recommendation and it's great to hear you'll hopefully be coming back, see you then!