“Not as good as expected!”

Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Not as good as expected!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I will start with the positives and then move onto the negatives! The hotel is in a beautiful location and the views from our sea-view room were amazing. You can walk out of the back of the hotel straight out onto the mariner. The hotel is very clean and smart, if a little cold in its decor. The room was large and very well equipped with a huge comfortable bed. However, I question if less than two feet of wardrobe space is sufficient for a couple staying six nights. Breakfast was as I would expect from a four star hotel and had a good selection of food. The car park is fairly large and we did not miss a place during our stay but I would worry if the hotel was full. Now come my two major concerns. I found the staff at the hotel to range from indifferent to rude. At best I felt like a commodity to be dealt with and at worst like they were annoyed at having to deal with guests. This is not the type of treatment I have come to expect from a four star hotel. Communication with staff was often difficult and none of them seemed to care if you were happy of not as long as you were dealt with. At one stage when coming down for breakfast we were told to take a seat along with a number of other guests. The dining room was only half full but tables had not been cleared. Then as we waited room numbers were shouted at us across the bar area like you would expect in Argos not a luxury hotel. Throughout my stay I felt completely unwelcomed by the staff. My other concern is the food. My girlfriend seemed to get lucky and had two very nice fish dishes as an evening meal. My first meal was a chicken dish which came with the wrong sauce and I would describe as being barley adequate. On our last night we decided to give the restaurant another try. We ordered from the more expensive set menu expecting better. I ordered beef medallions with fondant potatoes. When the meal came the beef was a mixture of gristle and incredibly tough meat served with a dry and tasteless mound of potato. I have only ever had to send back two meals in my life, but this had to go. The replacement meal when it came was ok but not worth the money. In addition I had no real apology and no one came to check if the new meal was acceptable. On paying for my meal I was asked if everything was ok. I replied yes after the first meal was sent back. The response was the indifferent silence that I had come to expect from the staff at the hotel. I am usually very happy with my stays in four star hotels and have never had to write a negative review before. In summary a beautiful location and good room but there is no way I would ever return and was torn over whether to give three or only two stars.

Room Tip: The sea view was lovely and worth the extra money but my advice waould be to try another four star h...
8 Thank Scott P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Polish first
Bridge of Weir
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Good hotel, good location. Went for sea view room and great view over St Aubins Bay. Like a previous post would have liked a balcony. Clean, good food and great breakfast. Bar a bit pricey, but for a classy hotel I suppose that's expected.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JERZR, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello and thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We're so glad you enjoyed your views of St Aubins Bay, we're proud of our island and feel very lucky be in such a fanastic location. We hope you found time to go for a sunny stroll along the beach! Looking forward to your next visit... :)
bristol
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

For what we paid we were delighted. You can stay in grander Hotels and pay 3-4 times as much as we did for 3 nights. Top tip don't pay extra for Breakfast .. A short walk to the Lighthouse Cafe at the Marina is a must !!!! You won't be disappointed .. A fab way to start the day and you don't feel your being ripped off.. Brilliant location and our room 331 had a beautiful view of the Marina and Castle.. Would return.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank BristolHannah
JERZR, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi BristolHannah,
It’s great that you were so happy with your stay, thanks for the review – and you found a good spot in the Lighthouse Cafe! Let us know when you’re coming back and we’ll make sure you have another brilliant break!
Yorkshire
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We arrived for lunch on Sunday having previously dined at the brasserie a few days earlier, and were greeted by Petra and Vincent (Head Chef). I had the chicken and liver pate for starter which I'd had the pleasure of sampling once before. I now refer to it as 'Vincent's famous pate' - as it's the creamiest, loveliest pate I've ever tasted. My boyfriend and I both had the sea bream for the main course. This was truly delicious, served on a potato cake and lovely seasonal veg - firm not manky! All perfectly prepared. Desserts followed with the lightest profiteroles and glazed lemon tart with Jersey cream. The service as always, was prompt, attentive, warm and polite. We finished with liqueur coffees. I will definitely be returning to the Waterfront Brasserie and Bar. , Great food, great service, great location. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank orchidangel1
Hi Orchidangel1,
Thank you for your glowing review and we’re really pleased to hear Vincent made a lasting impression as well as Petra and the team in the Brasserie. Can’t wait to have you back again!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was my first visit to Jersey in 14 years. How things have changed!!

The Radisson is a great hotel, from reception to waiting staff, bar staff to cleaners nothing could be faulted. I went for a sea view room and was not disappointed, my only comment would be 'why no balcony?'.

The location is perfect with local shops and bus routes a shot walk.

Thank you for a great few days.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and go for the sea view.
2 Thank deecjay
Hi Deecjay,
Thanks for your review, there have been a few changes, especially with the Waterfront! We hope you liked the change and glad you enjoyed the great location we’re so lucky to benefit from. It is a shame that we don’t have balconys but the terrace still offers a good option for enjoying the sun and the views. Hope to see you again if you’re back in Jersey.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

we stayed 3 nights here and had no problems. it is worth paying the extra for a sea view and ask for a room on a top floor. very comfortable bed, room very clean, staff polite and helpful. Breakfast had a wonderful choice , cold meats and cheeses etc to full English. Didn't use the pool ( small ) but sat out on the patio with our drinks over looking the waterfront. We ate in the restaurant 2 of the nights , the food was excellent but we did have a very long time to wait for it to be served. we look forward to staying here again.

3 Thank Ruth T
Hi RuthT,
We’re looking forward to having you again, thanks for your comments. Great to see you enjoyed your stay, the view, the food and drinks on the terrace. We’re sorry you found service in the Brasserie slow, next time you visit we’ll make sure this is speeded up! See you then
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Right in front of the marina you get to see low and high tide. Beautiful sea view from the room. Lobby bar is a hotspot with excellent cocktails. Short walk to town and ferry. Outside patio. Take a walk to the fort at low tide is a must.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Sven P
Hi SvenP,
Thanks for the review, the tidal range here is the 3rd largest in the world so the view form the rooms changes so much throughout the day, Glad you got to enjoy it as well as heading out to Elizabeth Castle. Hope to see you again for more cocktails on the terrace!
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helier
#4 of 32 in St. Helier
Longueville Manor
Longueville Manor
#1 of 5 in St.Saviour

Been to Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey? Share your experiences!