All reviews rolling stones howard davis park homemade marmalade continental breakfast lovely waitress air show town centre short walk mac cheese nothing is too much trouble bed was comfortable modern hotel other hotels budget hotel twin room very pleasant stay liberation square
Selected filters
Reviewed September 10, 2018

I would certainly not term my stay at the Mornington awful. Yes it is probably dated but we felt it quirky. Which reflected the owners personalities. Our room was very comfortable and at the back of the hotel which was bonus. The breakfast was a unusual and very large, but enjoyable all the same. One point I will make are the staff and management are very attentive. Really I felt they wouldn’t do enough for you from recommending restaurants, fixing our tv to providing a cold pack for a sprained ankle. Location wise short walk to liberation square. Restaurants very local and good. To my mind I would be happy to recommend. We really enjoyed our stay very much.

Room tip: Would recommend staying at the back of the hotel as it is located on a busy junction.
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank lifesabeach69
Reviewed September 9, 2018

I liked it. Definitely in need of an upgrade but I quite liked the time portal back to how hotels must have been 50/60 years ago. Staff are very friendly/homely and will help when you need it. The rooms are very clean even if they are old. The bathroom was a bit cramped, shower not the most powerful but just about adequate. The breakfast was great, very filling and service was superb. Location is excellent. I enjoyed my stay.

• Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Mornington for two nights on a little break away. The hotel was lovely and quaint with 70s (?) dated decoration that gives it such a charm! The bed was comfortable and shower powerful but the bathroom was slightly on the small side. All the staff were fantastic and welcoming and at breakfast the croissants were delicious. We had a lovely stay and definitely would return!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

The abundance of positive reviews about this hotel were very misleading. We stayed here for 3 nights and left feeling disappointed and ripped off. I have a lot to say about this hotel.

The hotel is in a good location, close to the city centre, beach and Howard Davis park. The reception staff were friendly during the brief interaction we had with them (however upon checking out we weren’t asked how our stay was - perhaps they try to ignore negative feedback). These were pretty much the only good points.

Our room, although spacious, and the hotel overall, was very old fashioned and in need of an update. Whilst objectively the decor of a hotel doesn’t necessarily determine the quality of your stay, it certainly didn’t improve it as I felt I was staying in a nursing home. Everything in our room was green for some reason, the halls were wood chip/ cork board, and we had an avocado bath suite. Our room was on the very top floor and actually smelled like an attic. The stairs/hallways were extremely narrow, creaky and quite claustrophobic. Although others have described their rooms as impeccably clean, ours was not. The random shelf which held the teabags (opposite side of the room to the kettle) was covered in dust and my bed sheets were stained. The floors were also very creaky, as were the beds, and I had a mattress spring poking into my back. Furthermore, the walls are extremely thin. This meant that we could hear people in the room next to us talking/sneezing/showering. Our room was also on a busy main road which meant there was a constant stream of very audible traffic at all times of the day and night. Our curtains were also not blackout, therefore our room was light and noisy and we basically didn’t sleep.

Our bathroom was ridiculous as well. Our toilet would randomly gain and lose the flush function. Therefore, when you went to the toilet, you didn’t know when you were going to be able to flush it. Also, our shower was in a bath (fine), but the shower screen could not be pulled back due to the placement of the sink and the shower head was directly under the taps. Therefore, to have a shower, you had to get into the bath, lean under the shower head, and then turn both the hot and cold taps and hope you weren’t scalded or frozen. Even once you’d adjusted the temperature, the shower would randomly become extremely hot or cold at any time.

Lastly, many of the reviewers have raved about the breakfast. I do not share this enthusiasm. The breakfast consisted of tea/coffee, croissants, cereal, ham and cheese, fruit and yoghurts. Although these tasted nice, the options were limited and there were no cooked/warm options (I’m not even demanding a full English, simply a boiled egg would have been nice). It wasn’t self service either, so you had to wait for someone to bring you cereal, then a croissant, then a plate of ham, etc. and it was all very regimental.

I have no idea how this hotel is rated so highly. I really wished I’d had a nice stay here but unfortunately that wasn’t the case. We paid £95 per night and it was definitely not worth that (I would be reluctant to even pay £20). Will not return and will not recommend.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 1, 2018

We spent six nights here during very hot weather. The only real negative aspect was the lack of air-conditioning. Everything else was fine. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful - we were given an early breakfast on our departure day, plus one of the excellent lemon Jersey yoghurts to take home. The cold breakfast was unusual (a choice of platters) but plentiful, with cereals, toast, croissants, yoghurts etc. We enjoyed being very close to a very nice park and not too far away from the bus station. We requested a room at the rear, and got one, though it was still quite noisy with having to have the windows wide open because of the heat. Overall a very pleasant stay.

Date of stay: August 2018