“EXCELLENT HOTEL AND STAFF”

The Club Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Campbeltown, United Kingdom
“EXCELLENT HOTEL AND STAFF”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We holiday in Jersey every year normally staying in self catering out of town. We had the chance to return again this year for a few days last weekend and decided to spoil ourselves and stay at the Club in St Helier. We were not disappointed. Check in was very friendly - we had a very early flight and the chap on reception had our room ready for us by 11am. He then gave us a tour of the hotel and showed us to our room. The room was very well appointed and exceptionally clean. The bed was extremely comfortable - I can't remember ever sleeping so well in an hotel! We ate out most of the time but did have a meal one evening in the bar which was lovely. We used the pool and spa facilities on each day of our visit and special note to previous reviewer 'AlastairC749' - the hotel must have taken your review on board - the spa pool is now open to everyone from 8am/8pm. We will have no hesitation to return to the Club in the future.

3 Thank 740FIONA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Oxfordshire
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is not my favourite hotel, although I would probably stay again because of its convenient location - and it looks less like a prison than does the Radisson Blu. The room was comfortable and I got a decent night's sleep, however, the service at breakfast was not only very slow but the waitress's attitude was to say the least disinterested - even rude according to one of my colleagues. Trying to check-out was painful - they really should invest in an express check-out service for most guests are visiting on business and anxious to get their early flights. We very nearly missed our flight because on top of the slow check out, our taxi arrived to take six of us to the airport - yes it seated six but couldn't take our luggage - do they think I carry my spare clothes and cosmetics in my handbag? The taxi problem is probably not the hotel's fault, but, really, did they think we were going plane spotting? On the evening of our stay we had drinks in the bar together with some snacks - really very good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Minnie12359
Bournemouth
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We visited the hotel as a surprise visit to Jersey for my Husband's 40th birthday, and could not have been happier with the hotel choice (I had done extensive research before choosing this hotel, and also sought the advice of a friend who lives in Jersey). The hotel is tucked away, yet only a 5 minute walk to the main shopping area, and a slightly longer walk to Liberty Warf and the marina.
I had contacted the hotel before our stay to request a room with a view, and explained it was my Husband's birthday. We checked in and were very pleasantly surprised that we had been upgraded to a Junior Suite at no extra cost. To be honest, I think that we only gained a little more space in the room from the standard room booked, but it was a very welcome surprise all the same, and much appreciated. The room was contemporary, clean and well appointed with a mini bar, tea & coffee making facilities, Elemis toiletries, and robes. The bed was amazingly comfortable, we both had 2 really good night sleeps. The honesty bar is a great idea, and we made good use of it, and yes we were honest! The hotel and spa staff were friendly, courteous and ready to assist us during our stay.
Initially I had booked to eat at Bohemia, but cancelled as my Husband fancied a curry for his birthday instead. We walked across to Kaiyum's Mumbai in Grenville street and had a fabulous curry, only slightly spoiled by the noise from the bar downstairs, but to be recommended for curry fans.
Overall, we had an amazing, fabulous and relaxed 2 night stay at this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone willing to listen!

4 Thank DarrenandVick
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked to stay the Club recently as we enjoyed it so much the year before. I booked it as a surprise to propose to my girlfriend with a dinner reservation in Bohemia. Unfortunately on this occasion the stay wasn’t anywhere near as enjoyable (she did say yes which was the main thing). Whilst the hotel itself is still nice (we had a suite which was lovely), I find it unbelievable that if you book into a hotel & spa that as residents of the hotel you are not allowed to use the spa swimming pool unless it’s early in the morning or after 5pm (particularly at £350 per night). I had planned for us to spend a bit of time in the pool and steam room etc. during the afternoon however we were told by the spa lady that she was too busy doing treatments for us to use the pool and to come back at half 5 instead. we could clearly see on the video monitor (that watches the pool) that there was no one in the pool at all. Just to mention we are in our late 30s so can swim and don’t need a lifeguard or someone watching us for our safety. I mentioned this to hotel reception and was met with total indifference from the 2 young men. We have stayed in a lot of nice spas and this is never a problem or condition.

Upon checkout I was asked how our stay was, and when I mentioned this incident and how it had tainted our stay there was no apology or explanation, and I was merely presented with my £600 bill for 1 night & dinner, in silence. If you are going to ask how my stay went then at least comment when I say it wasn’t up to expectation, or don’t ask in the first place. I have since read all the communication from the hotel in full and there is a mention in the last page of the confirmation letter that the pool is only available after 5pm or in the morning, however this should be made clear *before* booking not once you’ve made your decision & booked the room, made the restaurant reservation etc etc. My letter to the Manager hasn’t been responded to so far (2 weeks). Sadly this tainted our stay and we probably won’t go back. The Grand (where we stayed the next 2 nights) is just up the road and has no such pool \ spa policy, and the staff are far more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Alastair C
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights. We recieved a very warm and friendly welcome and check in was without issue. Off reception there were 2 seating areas 1 with a 'honesty bar' and one leading out on to a terrace which would have been great in summer.

Our room was a good size with picture windows and juliette balcony. I'm not sure there are many great views from the hotel as its quite close to town. The decor was modern and the room very clean. The bed was gorgeously soft no trouble sleeping thats for sure !!! We also had a TV, mini bar, coffee making facilities, hairdryer and electronic safe.

The bathroom was spacious with bath and shower(s) over. We were provided with lovely fluffy white towels, robes and elemis toiletries. I did notice that the sink was rather low and I'm quite small myself !

In terms of food our first meal was eaten in their Michelin starred restaurant (seperate review) on our second evening we ate in the bar, the food was excellent and very reasonable priced. A good selection of food options from finger food to larger meals were available. The bar was quite small and on Friday evening it got quite busy but we always found a table.

Breakfast was also served in the bar area. This was continental breakfast with cereals, juice, fruit, yoghurts and toast. The coffee was amazing ! I was dissappointed in the lack of pastries but it was perfectly decent.

We didn't use the spa as we weren't there long enough, the outside pool area looked very well maintained, pretty gardens, a small pool for relaxing rather than exercise !

The hotel is a five minute walk into town and about a 10 min walk from the bus station. Its about 20-30 mins by taxi from the airport and fares ranged from £14.00 to £20.00.

St. Helier, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed one night in the hotel to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday, enjoying the use of the spa and Bohemia restaurant. It had been arranged as a surprise and the staff could not have been more accommodating, providing more than I had asked for. The spa staff were discrete in keeping the overnight stay a surprise, the hotel staff went to great lengths to decorate the room and the chef for dinner even decorated a plate with the words "Happy Birthday". Without fail, the staff were friendly, courteous and paid attention to the smallest detail, making our stay memorable. The facilities are to a very high standard and I cannot fault our stay in any way.

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I have been enjoying my stay at The Club. The hotel staff is very nice and the rooms are comfortable. The bedding is quite nice with a down comforter. The bathroom is a little odd the sinks are at an unusually low height. I am not particularly tall and I need to bed way over to shave or brush my teeth. Longer hours in the spa would be nice so that when I was out of work I might be able to enjoy the facilities which so far I have not. The continental breakfast is adequate but nothing special.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business