“Ok, but not as good as last time & poor pool policy”

The Club Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Ok, but not as good as last time & poor pool policy”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked to stay the Club recently as we enjoyed it so much the year before. I booked it as a surprise to propose to my girlfriend with a dinner reservation in Bohemia. Unfortunately on this occasion the stay wasn’t anywhere near as enjoyable (she did say yes which was the main thing). Whilst the hotel itself is still nice (we had a suite which was lovely), I find it unbelievable that if you book into a hotel & spa that as residents of the hotel you are not allowed to use the spa swimming pool unless it’s early in the morning or after 5pm (particularly at £350 per night). I had planned for us to spend a bit of time in the pool and steam room etc. during the afternoon however we were told by the spa lady that she was too busy doing treatments for us to use the pool and to come back at half 5 instead. we could clearly see on the video monitor (that watches the pool) that there was no one in the pool at all. Just to mention we are in our late 30s so can swim and don’t need a lifeguard or someone watching us for our safety. I mentioned this to hotel reception and was met with total indifference from the 2 young men. We have stayed in a lot of nice spas and this is never a problem or condition.

Upon checkout I was asked how our stay was, and when I mentioned this incident and how it had tainted our stay there was no apology or explanation, and I was merely presented with my £600 bill for 1 night & dinner, in silence. If you are going to ask how my stay went then at least comment when I say it wasn’t up to expectation, or don’t ask in the first place. I have since read all the communication from the hotel in full and there is a mention in the last page of the confirmation letter that the pool is only available after 5pm or in the morning, however this should be made clear *before* booking not once you’ve made your decision & booked the room, made the restaurant reservation etc etc. My letter to the Manager hasn’t been responded to so far (2 weeks). Sadly this tainted our stay and we probably won’t go back. The Grand (where we stayed the next 2 nights) is just up the road and has no such pool \ spa policy, and the staff are far more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Alastair C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights. We recieved a very warm and friendly welcome and check in was without issue. Off reception there were 2 seating areas 1 with a 'honesty bar' and one leading out on to a terrace which would have been great in summer.

Our room was a good size with picture windows and juliette balcony. I'm not sure there are many great views from the hotel as its quite close to town. The decor was modern and the room very clean. The bed was gorgeously soft no trouble sleeping thats for sure !!! We also had a TV, mini bar, coffee making facilities, hairdryer and electronic safe.

The bathroom was spacious with bath and shower(s) over. We were provided with lovely fluffy white towels, robes and elemis toiletries. I did notice that the sink was rather low and I'm quite small myself !

In terms of food our first meal was eaten in their Michelin starred restaurant (seperate review) on our second evening we ate in the bar, the food was excellent and very reasonable priced. A good selection of food options from finger food to larger meals were available. The bar was quite small and on Friday evening it got quite busy but we always found a table.

Breakfast was also served in the bar area. This was continental breakfast with cereals, juice, fruit, yoghurts and toast. The coffee was amazing ! I was dissappointed in the lack of pastries but it was perfectly decent.

We didn't use the spa as we weren't there long enough, the outside pool area looked very well maintained, pretty gardens, a small pool for relaxing rather than exercise !

The hotel is a five minute walk into town and about a 10 min walk from the bus station. Its about 20-30 mins by taxi from the airport and fares ranged from £14.00 to £20.00.

St. Helier, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed one night in the hotel to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday, enjoying the use of the spa and Bohemia restaurant. It had been arranged as a surprise and the staff could not have been more accommodating, providing more than I had asked for. The spa staff were discrete in keeping the overnight stay a surprise, the hotel staff went to great lengths to decorate the room and the chef for dinner even decorated a plate with the words "Happy Birthday". Without fail, the staff were friendly, courteous and paid attention to the smallest detail, making our stay memorable. The facilities are to a very high standard and I cannot fault our stay in any way.

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I have been enjoying my stay at The Club. The hotel staff is very nice and the rooms are comfortable. The bedding is quite nice with a down comforter. The bathroom is a little odd the sinks are at an unusually low height. I am not particularly tall and I need to bed way over to shave or brush my teeth. Longer hours in the spa would be nice so that when I was out of work I might be able to enjoy the facilities which so far I have not. The continental breakfast is adequate but nothing special.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Carshalton,Surrey
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Had 3 great nights here in late October and had a great time.
We had a wonderful welcome and introduction to the hotel and spa on arrival.
The room was comfortable with all the facilities required and more if you wanted to pay for them!
We had a wonderful spa treatment each (as part of our package) and had a fresh continental breakfast each morning.

We also treated ourselves to a meal at Bohemia which ,although pricey,was fantastic - especially the dessert for 2!

Jersey is also a great place for a long weekend with other fantastic pubs and bars - go check it out!

Room Tip: try the crab shack in St Brelade - fresh food at great prices
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a fantastic two nights in Jersey at this hotel, everything was perfect from the simple checking in and out to the room and public areas.
There is a lovely small bar that ran on trust just beside the outdoor pool area which was great to sit in and felt very secluded with small tables which the bar staff would come out and clean up regularly.
The room was smallish but ample and well equipped with everything we needed.
We had a meal in the restaurant which although expensive was worth every penny, I have no issue with paying the price for fantastic food. The waiter service was perfect as were the timings between courses, it is highly rated for a reason.
We were having a first romantic break as a couple and had a fantastic time in the hotel, restaurant and Jersey as a whole. St Hellier was lovely, great quaint shops and great bars...just be careful going to the castle...if like us u don't keep a VERY close eye on the tide you will very quickly find yourself sprinting through knee deep water! We found it funny but others might not :)
We will be back to relive our first break, glad we spent it there (Oct 2011)

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Mhairilogan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

As others have already commented this is a really nice and comfortable hotel. We stayed for two nights and were impressed by the general level of room comfort and facilities but there were a few areas that prevented us giving this a 5 out of 5. The hotel reception made us feel welcome with the offer of complimentary champagne on arrival and fresh shortbread in the room. The room itself was a good size with a well-stocked mini bar and all the usual things you'd expect to find as well as free wi-fi internet access. However, the TV is a little difficult to operate requiring two separate controllers. The bathroom comes with complimentary elemis spa toiletries but is a little dark inside and i found the washbasins quite low (i'm only 5ft 8in).

Room service was excellent and there was a good range of meals available either in the downstairs restaurant or delivered to your room. However, breakfast was disappointing. There was a very limited selection and despite being a spa resort there were no skimmed or fat free milk and i was left unclear as to whether a cooked breakfast was available and if so what it was. It was not offered on the first day but was the second without specifying what it consisted of. However, the yoghurts, muesli and cold meat and cheeses offered were good.

There are an extensive range of spa facilities available (for an additional fee) although we did not use these. Overall a very good hotel but still with room for improvement.