We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, arriving on 13th September and checking out on 15th. The purpose of the trip was a short break to celebrate our anniversary.
Before booking a hotel, as always, we checked Trip Advisor – the majority of the feedback for the Hampshire Hotel was very positive. We paid £80 per night, which included breakfast.
We travelled from Poole to St. Helier with Condor Ferries as foot passengers. This cost us £120 return (for both of us). We were surprised that the Catamaran stops briefly at St.Peter Port in Guernsey, as it wasn’t obvious from Condor’s website. This wasn’t an issue, and in fact was a pleasant surprise, although due to a delay getting along side the berth, we arrived in Jersey 30 minutes late.
Pricing on board the Catamaran for food was expensive – drinks were reasonable. It was nice to have allocated seats. There is a shop on-board supposedly selling newspapers and magazines, but on both journeys there were no newspapers.
On arrival in St.Helier, we decided to walk to the hotel which takes about 20 minutes – you can collect a free map in the main building at the port. Check in was smooth and the receptionist very helpful. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant that night and booked a table – In fact, the food was so good that we ate there the following night too.
We stayed in room 40. It’s on the third floor. It was clean and spacious with an en suite (toiletries refreshed daily). It had TV and tea/coffee making facilities. The hotel has a small lift – supposedly for 4 persons. – although we feel that this is a tad optimistic and it would be a bit of a squeeze. It is also a bit ‘urgent’ when setting off and stopping, so don’t be alarmed!
The bar area is spacious and clean, the staff polite and the prices not too expensive for a hotel. To the rear of the bar is an outdoor heated swimming pool – we didn’t use it, as it wasn’t the best weather.
The food in the restaurant was excellent. They have a fixed menu (£18.95), which varies from day to day. We would definitely recommend the mussels. The service was brilliant – the staff were attentive, friendly and polite.
We took some time to explore the island. In our view the local bus (operates from Liberation Station – 15 mins walk) is the best and cheapest method. You can pick up a free timetable and the buses run regularly and were on time. There are two price structures, £1.20 and £1.70 (per person, each way). The latter relates to ‘long’ journeys (but this is anywhere on the island, so far as we could tell). We travelled to Gorey Bay on the Friday, with the intention of visiting Mont Orgueil Castle. On arrival (around 3:30) we discovered that it would cost us over £11 each, and especially as time was short, decided this was too expensive.
On Saturday we took the bus to the War Tunnels and then on to La Mare Wine Yard – both highly recommended. The tunnels cost £11.20 each for adults. The Wine yard tour and tasting was £9.50 each. Our only criticism of the Wine Yard was that we arrived early afternoon with the intention of eating lunch. We were told that due to a wedding the restaurant would close at 14:00 – we had to rush a rather expensive sandwich to get onto the tour that we’d chosen.
Our journey home was not the best – A rough crossing. You can’t blame Condor for the weather, but be warned that if the weather’s not great, you will feel very sick!!!
All in all, we had a lovely time and would highly recommend this hotel. Should we return to St.Helier we would definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy your stay at the the newly refurbished Hampshire Hotel. Warm soothing tones, natural woods and tiled floors have transformed the hotel into a colonial style oasis in the heart of St Helier. Each of the 42 bedrooms extends the promise of comfort and rest. Plus, families can benefit from interconnecting suites. Upgraded with flat screen TVs and free WI-FI Internet access, it’s an ideal base for the business traveller too. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hampshire Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Legacy Hampshire St Helier
- Hotel Legacy Hampshire
- Hampshire Hotel Jersey/St. Helier