“Exceptional service!”

Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Montreal, Canada
“Exceptional service!”
Reviewed November 6, 2007

The Norfolk Lodge Hotel was extremely surprising! We booked because of the low prices, but were impressed by the outstanding service we recieved. Every staff member we encountered was friendly, professional, knowlegeable and really did go out of their way to help us. I would especially like to thank the manager of the hotel... he was funny and took every opportunity to make sure our stay was enjoyable.

The accomadations themselves were nothing special, but adequate. The room was actually quite a decent size, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom however was very small, and there was no window OR fan to let out steam. The shower was very powerful though, and no lack of hot water. The room was always cleaned very well.

I would certainly recommend paying for the meal service. The food was surprisingly good, and the waiters were excellent (even though some could barely speak English)! The bar and lounge beside the restaurant were also nice.

The location of the hotel was good, although it is hard NOT to have a good location in tiny St. Helier. The area around the hotel was nothing special.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to absolutely anyone! Even people who are used to staying in more expensive hotels would not be disappointed. If AMAZING service is what you're looking for (and rather mediocre rooms aren't too big of a concern), then this hotel is perfect!

• Liked — Amazing service.
  • Disliked — Poor bathrooms (but really not much to complain about!).
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank greg_91

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Hungarian first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2007

I stayed here 25 to 30 Sept at Norfolk LODGE hotel in Jersey the food and staff and manager was excellent and staff always had a polite smile and hello and felt this hotel was very home from home and welcoming to you helpful and the dinners were superb consisting of various fish dishes, meat turkey duck etc and the deserts puddings were to die for i found out my favourite is banoffe pot which was scrumptiouliscious if that is the correct way to spell it

Judging by the many thankyou cards from happy guests on mantlepiece i felt many folk had had a happy nice stay here like me the only downside was it was a long way from town centre but there were buses and coach trips from hotel and this hotel had a nice atmosphere though small it was immaculate had lovely indoor large swimming pool and entertainment and roof top garden too and various lounges to relax in and will definately recommend this hotel to friends etc as a good place to stay

• Liked — the staff and management and food in dining room hotel and the swimming pool and reception etc
  • Disliked — nothing i disliked about this hotel as i prefer this hotel on rouge bouilion jersey to others in jersey in st helier
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank Jerseyfan
dublin
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I have just returned from a week in Jersey the was 15 rooms in total in our party who travelled from Ireland for a wedding. From the moment we walked into the Norfolk lodge to the moment we left the staff could not have been more helpful. A member of our party had to be taken to hospital due to an epileptic fit and the staff could not a have been more professional or efficient.
The rooms were dated but spotlessly clean they were serviced daily with towels changed every day. I could not fault the cleanliness of the hotel. Breakfast was of a reasonable standard and the bar was stacked with the usual english ales and largers. All in all we got what we paid for it was indeed cheap but also cheerful, what more can you ask for???

• Liked — The professionalism of the staff
  • Disliked — The dtaed decor
  • Stayed August 2007
3 Thank DublinSunworshipper
chichester
Reviewed August 11, 2007

Staff were friendly mostly Polish.

Hotel was very dated. Good king sized beds freshly laundered linen. Bathroom was not up to standard. Really old shower. Dressing tables etc, circa 1970's.

Breakfast good choice and well cooked but dining room very large with lots of people.

This hotel would probably appeal to older people as the decor is traditional. Was ok for a very short trip but would have been disappointed if this was my main holiday hotel. Quite a walk into town.

• Liked — friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — dated hotel
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank psycho_7
ManagerJersey, Manager at Norfolk Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2008
We have a mix of staff from a variety of countries and our hotel is Investor in People accredited.

A great number of our bedrooms are new as we refurbish bedrooms and bathrooms every year during the winter months, when the hotel is closed. Refurbished and hence more modern bedrooms may be requested when booking but we work hard to ensure all bedrooms are clean and well maintained.

We are grateful for your comments about the quality of our linen and breakfast arrangements. Our housekeeper and head chef have been with us for many years at the hotel and work hard to maintain standards and meet the needs of our guests.

The 10 minute walk to the town centre is flat but a bus stop is located outside the hotel and a public bus service serves the town if needed.

I hope that this is all helpful information.

Fernando de Castro
Glasgow
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Myself, partner and our daughter stayed at the Norfolk Lodge Hotel for one week (B&B).

The hotel is in a good location, plenty of parking, aside from the management I found the staff genuinely pleasant. The access for disabled people is inadequate . The breakfast was decent, where you could help yourself to fruit juices, cereal, toast and a full cooked breakfast. The waiting staff were very efficient and brought you the tea/coffee and toast soon after you were seated.

The room(47) was small and basic with ageing decor. The bed sheets felt gritty and the bed covers were old and shabby. There was a bath with a mixing taps for a shower, that varied between simply not working to a weak jet coming from the shower whilst water continued to come full blast out of the taps. So at best you would have an unsatisfactory shower whilst standing ankle deep in water; not good especially if you have any balance problems, which many of the hotels guests would have.

That evening I complained to the very polite receptionist who said she would get on to it straight away. The next day we were moved to another room across the way but not before having a surreal experience with the manger where he tried to demonstrate that the shower was indeed working fine, when it just wasn't. I mentioned to him that I had paid for a room with a working shower and that is what I expected. He then moved us, but not before letting us know how busy the hotel was and this was the only other room available. He went on to say that couple who were supposed to stay here would have to go into the room with the broken shower. This episode made me feel like an employee not a guest. Throughout the week there were to be a few comings and goings from room 47. Clearly the people who came after us were also unhappy with the shower.

It soon became apparent that one of the main features of this hotel is the lack of any noise proving. There was a young family staying above us, but it sounded more like a family of dancing bears and not because they were particularly noise. The snoring from the guest in the room next to us was also loud and clear. We were near to the staff quarters and could hear them, however that was not a problem as it was usually laughing and generally hilarity. If a door was shut firmly it cause a loud bang.

That night we decided we would try the hotel restaurant. BIG MISTAKE! We decided to have the roast beef. It was undercooked and none of us could chew our through it. We just ended up eating the vegetables and gravy. I let the very polite restaurant manger know and he could not have been more sorry. It just as well saying sorry and being polite costs nothing because if it did, The Norfolk lodge would be more a hostel than a hotel.

Another noticeable feature was the attitude of the manager to the junior staff. Anytime I seen him he was indiscreetly haranguing them. My partner found him holding a staff meeting in the reception area for all to hear. Hardly the place.

This is a two star hotel and in my opinion is at the lower end of that scale. There are two certainties in my life; Death and I won't be staying at the Norfolk lodge hotel again.

• Liked — The junior staff genuine manner
  • Disliked — The systematic corner cutting shone through
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Alfie1923
ManagerJersey, Managing Director at Norfolk Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2008
Thank you for the general good comments about our location, parking, staff and breakfast arrangements. These are appreciated. Below are noted some of the upgrading works during our annual refurbishment works this past closed season.

We are a long-standing local family business and my family are physically based at this hotel each day. We do respond to client comments and constantly replace items including soft furnishings. A quarter of the hotel’s 101 bedrooms have received new soft furnishings this winter and all bedrooms have had attention in recent years. Over the past few months fifteen bathrooms have been completely stripped-out and refurbished ready for the season ahead, including both occupied by this reviewer. Refurbishment work occurs every year at the hotel. By way of note, many bathrooms on the ground floor have been converted from bath to wide entry shower to assist access for clients with mobility issues.

Our manager, Fernando de Castro, the long standing General Manager at the hotel, is dedicated to his hotel and his staff. I feel other reviews will also attest to his record on hospitality and his ability especially in relation to families visiting us. Readers may wish to note that he took the hotel through its accreditation process for Investors in People, which is a rare award for a seasonal hotel of this type.

Our hotel is also assessed each year by Visit Britain Quality Assured assessors and has an excellent report from last year under the new UK unified hotel grading scheme.

In respect of the restaurant, the client is correct that the beef served one evening was tough. We offer a very popular carvery on two or three evenings per week. This was the only occasion that tougher beef was served as a choice and to my knowledge the only evening that our clients ate an evening meal with us. I apologise but this matter was beyond our control on the night. It was caused by the supply that particular day being tough and was notified to our butcher and the supply was brought back to the correct standard for the next carvery evening.

I hope that my response clarifies matters.

Seamus Morvan
Morvan Hotels
Cardiff Wales
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Have just returned from three nights at the Norfolk Lodge. We booked the flight and hotel just over 24hrs before our visit to Jersey. I thought we might get a poor room due to the late booking in high season. However the room we had was large, very clean and quiet. The thing that will stand out from this visit is the friendliness of the staff , good food and very efficient service, something lacking in many hotels these days.
We booked B&B and went out the first night, had a poor meal and dined in the last two nights, best thing we did the evening meal was really good value.
The hotel has a nice indoor pool, and there is some evening entertainment, which suits the older guest.
The hotel is set at the back of the town and the shopping area and sea front are a ten minute walk away.
If you don,t fancy driving Jersey has a very good public transport system and you can reach any of the beaches for £1.50 this is also the fare from the airport to town.
I would stay in the hotel again if I visited Jersey.

• Liked — Quality of service from staff
  • Disliked — Our bathroom was small.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tafftraveller
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Right, firstly this is not a 5 star hotel and as such it shouldn't be reviewed as such, some other reviews about this hotel have been unfair in my opinion, where the reviewer may have been expecting the something this hotel is not pretending to be.

Firstly, the staff are excellent. Every one we encountered was friendly and courteous, often above and beyond expectations. I was a bit distressed for the first day of our stay as BA had temporarily misplaced my suitcase and Ewa on reception couldn't do enough to help, including offering to phone the airport and assuring me she would contact me on my mobile as soon as it arrived.

I liked the way the hotel manager, Fernando Di Castro, was seemingly omnipresent in the hotel. He didn't hide in an office, he was often behind reception or helping in the dining room, greeting guests whenever he passed them.

On the subject of the restaurant, it was excellent. Cereals, Fruit, Toast, full english of high quality and continental breakfasts complimented by delicious fresh coffee (whatever you may read elsewhere) or tea. In the evenings, the 3 course menu plus coffee offered superb value at £12 a head, and was cooked to a high standard with several interesting and imaginative choices each night.

The room was very spacious and light, with tea and coffee facilities and an en suite. It's a shame the TV didn't have teletext, but when on holiday you're not going to be watching it much anyway.

The car parking is ample here, which was a main reason for choosing it as we were hiring a car for the stay. This is well worth doing to see the best parts of the island.

It's an added bonus that you can use the facilities at the other Morvan Family Hotels during your stay, and I found the WiFi at the Monterey just round the corner very helpful.

The hotel does cater for older clientele generally, so if you're younger (like myself and my girlfriend) you probably won't appreciate the evening entertainment. But St Helier town centre is only a walk away.

I think all in all the experience with the Norfolk Lodge was a very pleasant one. If you want a worry free stay with friendly staff and good facilities, at good value for money, you can't go wrong here.

As a final tip, if you want a good evening meal, the Lighthouse Restaurant at Corbiere was exceptional at very good prices with high quality food served in generous portions by polite staff. Not only that, the views of the sunset from the restaurant were breathtaking. It's a "must try" if you visit the island.

• Liked — Friendliness of staff and value for money
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple