“An exceptionally good hotel”
Review of Monterey Hotel

Monterey Hotel
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Reviewed July 4, 2011

The Montery is an exceptionally well-run hotel. Particularly the staff are excellent: friendly, helpful, and available. Absolutely nothing was a problem. I cannot remember the last time I experienced such good service, in a hotel or anywhere. The hotel itself was clean, well-appointed, and everything worked as it should. There is a nice swimming pool, gym equipment (if that's your thing) and lounge. The breakfasts are generous and the dinners quite good. The table service was also of a good standard. Finally, it's fairly close to the centre of town, and not too expensive. I just hope they don't go and change anything.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank charles300566
ManagerJersey, Manager at Monterey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments. We do work hard to meet the needs of our guests and are pleased that this enhanced your stay. We do indeed seek to provide good value and we are grateful that you felt that we met this aim for you. Thank you for your custom and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Monterey Jersey at some point soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

We spent 7 nights here and were very pleased with our choice of hotel. Short walk into the centre of town and we never had a problem parking at the hotel. Decor a little dated, but the staff more than made up for this. Food excellent with a good choice and having booked half board, very good value. Best thing about this hotel, the staff.

2  Thank maggieal10
ManagerJersey, Manager at Monterey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

We are grateful for your positive feedback in respect of our staff at the Monterey Hotel. These comments are very much appreciated by our team at the hotel. Thank you.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights in June and were very impressed.

The service from every member of staff we encountered was impeccable. They were always very polite and helpful.

The room was of a reasonable size, there was ample storage space, mirrors and a hairdrier and the bed was comfortable. We had asked for a room away from the traffic and were not disappointed.

The bathroom was a fair size; I have seen smaller! It was clean, the towels were soft and toiletries were provided. The shower was quite powerful and there was always plenty of hot water.

Breakfast was more than ample with a large choice of cooked and contintal dishes and plenty of tea and coffee. We ate in the bar on two evenings and for the price the meals were very good, but not exceptional. However, the cheese and pickle sandwich was a little disappointing. I had expected more cheese and pickle and less lettuce, but now I am just being 'picky'!

The hotel is located about 15 mins brisk walk from Liberation Square which seemed a bit of a drag after a day out walking, but there seemed to be few hotels much closer. There is a bus (No 23) which passes the hotel, but I'm not sure how often. There is also no view as it is in a built-up area. There are restaurants closer than this. Mino's was an interesting one! I would certainly return there.

The weather could not entice me into the outdoor pool, although on a hot day perhaps I could have been tempted. We did not use the indoor pool or the gym because we were too busy outdoors, so I cannot comment on those.

Most of all I liked the fact that after a whole day out walking and sight-seeing I knew I could look forward to a comfortable, clean hotel in which I could relax.

There is nothing I disliked about the hotel. I just wish it could be closer to the centre and with a sea-view!!!

2  Thank jitterbugYork
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Stayed here as part of a wedding party, though the wedding venue was elsewhere on the island, the staff at the Monterey were helpful beyond the call of duty. Some of the rooms maybe a little dated in decor, however, they are comfortable, all facilities that you want are there, but any shortcomings in the rooms (let's be honest, it's only decor) were more that balanced out by the helpful "can do" attitude of the staff.

Would I recommend this for your Jersey stay? Definitely!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank VoiceOnRadio
ManagerJersey, Manager at Monterey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

We are grateful for your feedback and are pleased that you would happily recommend our hotel.

Our guest bedrooms are deliberately fairly traditional. Whilst enjoyment of style and decor is to some extent a subjective judgement, we are pleased that you also felt able to give Monterey high scores in respect of service, value and facilities. Thank you.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a five day break in jersey staying at the Monterey in St Helier. We chose this Hotel because of it's great reviews.We were not disappointed. The hotel was spotless, with french windows opening out onto the pool area was lovely and comfortable with a flat screen television and tea and coffee facilities. The Jacuzzi and indoor pool and sauna were great. I had them almost to myself during my visit and made full se of the excellent facilities.We opted for half board and the three course evening meals were superb whilst the breakfast included full english (Bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, sausage and toast. There was cereal, fruit, yoghurts,cold ham and cheese. If this wasn't enough you could order kippers or boiled or poached eggs!
Because my husband is suffering from cancer he needs to be encouraged to eat properly.The chef and our waiter Sorin helped to adjust the meals to suit him. Not that they needed much adjusting.
I wanted this to be a special holiday. The Monterey helped to make it EXTRA special.

4  Thank timetraveller8
Reviewed June 18, 2011

Fourth stay at this hotel, Standard even better, hotel clean and tidy at all times, Facilities as good as ever. Restaurant and Bar staff very helpful,Restaurant Manageress Anna stands out as a credit to the team. Food well presented and plenty of choice. Hotel well sited,short walk from town. This made our anniversary holiday very special, We will certainly be back next year.

2  Thank brian_griffin1
Reviewed June 15, 2011

My wife and I are becoming pretty seasoned hotel stayers. We've stayed in mostly 3 and 4 stars hotels so you build up a pretty good sense of what is good and bad value.

First impressions were good, we were able to park quite easily (this deteriorated later on in our stay as we had to use the parking to the side of the hotel, the parking spaces are a little snug and it took us nearly 10 minutes to park one evening as we tried to shoehorn ourselves in). The reception was pleasant enough. It was clean, nicely laid out and the staff were polite and friendly.

We took a small lift up to our floor and made our way through the long winding corridor. We did find the vast amount of doors a little frustrating especially when you first arrive with all your luggage, I think there were 4 doors between the stairwell and our room (311). This maybe unavoidable due to fire precautions but still. Worth bearing in mind if you are over laden to maybe do it in stages. We also found the corridor particularly around rooms 308-10 there was a really strong smell of cigarettes which was odd in a non-smoking hotel.

As for the room, everything you'd expect from a 3 star. The bed was equivalent to super king-size; it was a linked bed as the hard edges were evident in the middle. Pleasantly enough decorated and plenty of storage including draws and a wardrobe and a desk. The bathroom was clean and ample for our stay despite the shower being a little underpowered. Be aware of the lack of power points, there was just one plug socket as the telly, hairdryer and kettle were all hardwired. We had to choose whether to recharge camera batteries or our phone. Also the lack of iron which I thought most hotels had these days. There is access to an iron in a room on floor 1.

As noted in the hotel facilities they do have a gym and 2 swimming pools. The outside pool was not really in use as the weather for the most part was a little dreary. However we did get the opportunity to use the indoor pool. The pool was adequate and warm enough. The Spa was a nice touch and seated half a dozen max. The steam room was more of a plastic cubicle that had been placed as an afterthought but no complaints on its functionality. The gym was poor; reception did admit it was small. It had a rowing machine with a wobbly seat, a bike with an ill fitting saddle and straps missing from the pedals (I constantly kept sliding off the seat). The two cross trainers were however ok. The last piece of equipment was an Abs roller. They could have done with aircon or a fan and a water tower. They are limited on space but a treadmill and renewed kit maybe useful.

Moving onto the restaurant, we only used this for breakfast and no complaints there at all. The waiters/waitresses were pretty attentive and supplied coffee/tea/toast pretty much as soon as we arrived. The food on offer was fairly standard. There was always enough and nicely cooked. We had heard good things about the food but ate out on all bar one night. The other night we got room service; we were not rewarded for our laziness. We went for the prawn starter, then I had the Monterey Burger and my wife the Pasta bolognaise. I would say the food took around 45 minutes to an hour to arrive but we were advised that they were busy. The prawn starter was very nice. However the main meals were both very disappointing. My Burger was paper thin and tasted of nothing, the Salsa and cheese were almost non-existent, the bap, cheap and floury, the french fries were almost cold. My wife's bolognaise was pretty tasteless also. Bearing in mind the combined cost was over £25.00 we were both left less than satisfied. We did advise reception of our disappointment the following day and they seemed attentive and apologetic. At the end of our stay we did raise it again and we were advised regarding the burger that they would be discussing it with their supplier. We felt it was another opportunity to apologise and potentially make things right by the way of giving us a some money off the meal even as a token gesture but nothing was forthcoming

As a smal note the hotel offers free wireless internet however for the most part we found it very slow or sometimes unuseable.

Despite some of our negative comments I would say that as 3 star it does what it has to without excelling. Bearing in mind cost which was important to us when booking you can't go wrong. Most people would not book a hotel just because of a gym and you'd not use room service on a regular basis with a capable well reviewed restaurant on-site and plenty of options just a short walk into town (15 minutes). Try it, I don't think you'll be entirely disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagerJersey, Manager at Monterey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2011

Thank you for recommending others to try the Monterey. We are proud of our hotel and constantly strive to improve our service and facilities.

By way of note, our gym equipment was recently serviced by a leading provider and your few minor comments have been noted.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your room service but we were not aware that this was an issue for you at the time. Had you immediately made us aware of matters we would have provided an alternative choice. Our catering is very popular at the hotel and customer feedback is important to us. Thank you.