“Nice weekend break”

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
London, United Kingdom
“Nice weekend break”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We spend the weekend at the Royal Yacht Hotel in St Helier. The hotel’s location is central next to Liberation Square from which bus number 15 connects the town with the airport. Our room was located in the old part of the hotel on the top floor. It had a slight slope near the exterior wall and offered a nice view over the harbour. Despite facing the busy square it was generally very quiet in the room. In the bathroom the slope turned out to be a problem as showering was simply impossible. A bath is not a problem.
Overall the room was clean and well maintained. We also had breakfast at the Sirocco restaurant which was very nice. By in large, it has been a nice stay and the staff at the hotel was very friendly.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matt84London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Arrived on a Friday with six mates for a lads weekend and were well looked after with excellent food, drink and the spa well what can I say outstanding. Service also excellent a nice place to recharge the batteries

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank BMD001
Bromsgrove
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights at the beginning of August. I booked the trip as I had been to Jersey before many years ago. We had a room on the 4th floor towards the back and we were not bothered by the noise mentioned in some reviews - that was great as I could have been very bothered by it.
Check in process was smooth and reception were helpful.
The plus points for the hotel are its position so close to the centre of St Helier, plenty of restaurants and bars in the vicinity. Our Gold room was comfortable and clean as were all the communal areas. I also really enjoyed the Spa area. The pool was great and I enjoyed the foot spa, the sauna is a great size not the usual postage stamp. The outside bar seating areas are great for people watching. We ate in the Sirocco restaurant one evening and the food was excellent. See separate review.

The negatives - the breakfast buffet wasn't great, most things were lukewarm. Best thing was the freshly cooked omelettes and the egg chefs do a great job. The toast was soggy and underdone a fault of many hotels but the coffee was great.

Also they tend to have the balcony doors open in the restaurant which can cause quite a draft. The second morning we asked to sit away from them.

Having said earlier in the review that our room was quiet that was apart from all the bottles from the bar being emptied out I suppose into the recycling bins and with busy bars there were lots of bottles!! They really should not do it so early in the morning.

The front of the hotel does get very noisy particularly at the weekends and therefore I would definitely recommend not to have a room near the front or at the front even though I expect they are the best rooms you would get little in the way of sleep.

All in all though a really good trip and if you want to stay in St Helier then a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Room at the back and high floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CazBromsgrove
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I've stayed here twice now and have not been disappointed on either occasion. The rooms are comfortably furnished and well presented. The bathrooms are modern and the showers good with plenty of fluffy white towels to hand. In terms of location this hotel is very central. Staff are helpful and polite. The pool is good - haven't tried the spa yet but hope to another time. My rooms have been quite a walk from the lift involving additional steps so moving in and out with cases could be a little bit of an obstacle course - not an issue for me but if you lack mobility you may need help. Overall a very pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the atrium side are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Triggerhart
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2014

My wife & I booked for a long weekend. We were very impressed with the reception staff, very efficient & helpful. Our room was in the old part of the hotel, silver double room. It was on the top floor in what would have been the loft originally. The floor had a slight slope near the exterior wall but that didn't bother us. The rooms are very small with just a double bed. I would normally expect a king size bed in a 4 star but no way would,one fit in these silver rooms.

Anyway the hotel was just a base for the weekend so we weren't too bothered by the small room as it was a lovely modern room & very clean. Breakfast in Sirocco restaurant was top notch! Can't fault it, we had lovely weather and had breakfast on the balcony for 2 out of 3 mornings.

My wife & I loved the spa!! After our days out we would come back & hit the spa for an hour before going out for the evening. Really relaxing & clean - top notch. Makes the price of stay worth it.

Now the bad part. The royal yacht is in a great location on the Marina, you can walk anywhere in the centre of St Hellier within 10 minutes. Therefore it's many bars are very popular come the weekend. So it is lively, our room was at the back so we could not hear anything & were not disturbed by any noise. As I said the bars are very busy & it is beyond me as to why. The service from the bar staff even when it's not busy times is atrocious. From their attitude to how they even poor a pint of Guinness this lot are a joke & wouldn't last 5 minutes in my local let alone a four star hotel. As you are preying Central London prices in the bar I would expect good service to say the least. By all means stay at the royal yacht but go for a drink elsewhere!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel to avoid noise from the ground floor bars. We booked on Book...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank neilyd
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed here for 10 nights in April and as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary we booked one of the suites at the top. We were not disappointed, the suite was large with a huge lounge and dining area that would easily accommodate 6 people, a large bedroom and beautiful ensuite bathroom with walk in wardrobe. We also had a huge balcony that wraps all the way around the suite, with jacuzzi Nothing was too much trouble and we were looked after very well, including a bottle of champagne on arrival. We had the pleasure to meet one of the hotel managers, Claudio Abreu who looked after us exceptionally. We would not hesitate to stay here again, we had a lovely time.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better if you want less noise as there is a busy bar on the ground floor. A...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue B
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Great hotel for a 3 night stay for 6 adults and 1 child. We arrived to check in and the staff are so friendly on check-in. I had asked for 3 rooms beside each other away from the front which is very noisy at weekends . This they obliged. We had rooms looking on to the Museum. We had double deluxe rooms and everything was catered for in the rooms. Big rooms and big balcony's with 2 rattan chairs and a rattan table. Only problem with the rooms we where above the night club and the boom went on until 2.00am. Thanks goodness it was only for the one night. I did mention it at reception and they took the number of the room. Didn't here anything more about it. A small niggle, I thought the selection of fruit could have been greater at breakfast. Plenty of cooked food on offer. Tea and toast was served at your table, toast was cold and one morning the pot of tea was cold. Cleaning staff do an excellent job and friendly as well. The Hotel is very central to shops and harbour. All the family loved the hotel and vowed to return. A nice touch from the hotel I commend them for this, my daughter and hubby overslept on the morning we where leaving and the staff ushered them down to the patio area and served breakfast to them with no extra charge. A nice gesture.

Room Tip: Not Floor 2 room 227 on a Saturday night. Above nightclub.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family