“Dated and hitting above their perceived weight”
Review of Apollo Hotel

Apollo Hotel
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Dated and hitting above their perceived weight”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed here on business and as many before me so it seems, I found the location very good, being in the middle of St Helier but the rooms were extremely dated. I had to go and use an "ironing room" to iron a shirt on what appeared to have been an ironing board from the 40s.

I ordered room service and was told as it was à la carte dining there would be a wait, well it came fairly quickly, but to describe the mushroom and onion stroganoff and mixed salad that arrived à la carte was contravening the trade description act - it was a few vegetables in a sauce with boiled rice and the salad was plonked in a bowl.

They attempted to charge me a £2 tray charge as well which I refused to pay and which was taken off my bill.

Would I stay here again, no, the room was musty, the windows poorly insulated and the double bed was actually 2 singles together masquerading as a double

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Martin B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Duras, France
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed for a long weekend in June.
The staff are very helpful. The restaurant manager was particularly good.....he was excellent at his job. The food was tasty and it was nice to have a buffet breakfast.
The entrance is nice put the rooms are very tired and dated. The beds are like bricks and the pillows like pancakes! The trouser press was broken.
It was clean and presentable its just a shame that with a bit of investment it could be superb.

Room Tip: Try and get a balcony room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tonkatilly
Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My Sister in Law and I stayed at the Apollo 3-7 June 2012 and whilst it was probably the wettest and coldest weekend this year, we had a fabulous time.
One thing we could definitely NOT fault were the staff who were first class. Yes, I agree that certain areas could be updated but not many hotels are spending on this in the present climiate. That said, the hotel was spotless and bed was extremely comfortable.

The hotel is situated at the top end of St Helier but is in an ideal location. A short stroll through the shopping precinct brings you to the waterfront and restaurants etc are plentiful. Having said this, we ate at the hotel every night enjoying a superb meal in the restaurant on the first night and then transferring to the Viva Pizza restaurant within the hotel by the indoor pool. It took a while for the order to arrive because everything is freshly prepared but the food was superb as well as being reasonably priced. Chef even amended a couple of dishes for me!!

The Hotel recommended Waverley coaches for out transfers and they were spot on time and at £10 return fare each, good value. We also booked the Island coastal trip which was good value but let down by the weather. However, we were with a great bunch of fellow travellers and an excellent coach driver/guide and we had a thoroughly good time.

We even took the Noddy train from Liberation Square along the coast to St Aubens £7.50 each return). You had time to enjoy the area and for lunch. We decided to make our own way to the War Tunnels by Red Explorer bus (£1.70 single fare). However, I decided against going in due to a possible claustrophobic atmosphere and I didn't want to pay the £11.75 entrance in case I wasn't happy with the environment. I was informed that it was a good visit though but sadfy missed out on it.

A note to travellers, we paid a little more and travelled with British Airways and I am pleased that we did. For our retun flights, delays were everywhere due to severe storms but we were fed, watered, and kept fully informed of the situation and a plane was despatched as soon as able.

I enjoyed St Helier for our 'girlie' weekend but most of all the Apollo should be proud of their staff who clearly DO care about the guests.

Thank you............

Room Tip: We paid extra for a balcony room wich was good value for money
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Angela M
South West England
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed here in May 2012 on a Cricket weekend with a mixture of men & women. We found it both comfortable and ideally located for the shops and restaurants for a reasonable price. There is a nice garden with a pool which was great to relax around in the warm sunshine.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel were noisy, request room overlooking the pool.
1 Thank Mon35
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Apollo for 4 nights at the end of May 2012. It is centrally located and convenient, although not particularly disabled friendly. Staff were courteous and helpful. Our bedroom was clean, rather stuffy, not very soundproof, and very dated (c1970). Our bathroom was poor, with a broken mirror and loo seat, and few towel rails. Generally the facilities were adequate, with an excellent. Indoor pool (heated). Outdoor pool with water slide too cold to use. Breakfasts in the restaurant were good, but the evening meal, served buffet style, was very poor and not worth the £17 per head charge. We might consider staying there again, but only B&B. Overall about 2-3 star.

2 Thank Antony A
yorkshire
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The hotel is very conveniently located for St. Helier and is good value compared to many St. Helier hotels. The staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful and the general ambience of the hotel was pleasant and cheerful. Our room was spacious and very clean, the bed comfortable and we had everything we needed. The temperature was high due to a very welcome hot spell but opening the window meant we had traffic noise from 6am, so I would request a room which didn't overlook the road next time. The indoor pool was small but adequate and the facilities spotless. I didn't try the outdoor pool, but it was in a sunny garden and would be a great place to relax on the loungers provided, whether you swim or not. Breakfast offered a good range of buffet food and the service was attentive. All round, a good hotel experience.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms which overlook St. Saviours Road
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tabichops
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Arrived to a very friendly warm welcome on a chilly bank holiday weekend. The rooms are spacious and well equipped with King Size beds and the usual TV, courtesy tray etc. The hotel facilities were excellent also, with 2 pools, 2 bars, 2 restaurants etc so its very self contained. The only significant criticism was the dated bathroom with very low sink and what seemed like a 40watt lightbulb! On the + side again it is only 10 minutes walk into the heart of St. Helier and the breakfasts were the best we've had anywhere! I'd definitely return and think some reviews I've read are very unfairly harsh.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms overlooking the pool would be excellent on a sunny day.
2 Thank ACOL_10
Hotel De Normandie
Hotel De Normandie
#3 of 5 in St.Saviour
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey

Been to Apollo Hotel? Share your experiences!