“Sorted!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Unawatuna

Unawatuna
Ranked #19 of 221 Restaurants in St. Helier
Cuisines: Asian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This is the cooking that chef Sudu learned as a child. Armed with his mother's homemade spices (she sends them over every two to three weeks) Sudu set to work, introducing a slice of Sri Lanka, and the cuisine he loves, to foodies around the island. The authentic decor - a team effort, which both Sudu and his partner worked hard to create, sets the backdrop for his first big adventure - Unawatuna - an original name to represent the unique cuisine.
Jersey, Channel Islands
“Sorted!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We visited Unawatuna several months ago and I wrote a positive review but was somewhat critical of the atmosphere that this new restaurant had created. Four of us went again this week and full marks to the owner, my concerns have been sorted.
Food was again impressive with a new range of starters. We went for the tempura prawns, ribs and crab - all delicious, the ribs in particular are amongst the best I've tasted.
We all ordered the 3 taster curries for 2 so had a selection of six various curries covering vegetarian, chicken, fish etc - all were delicious and served with a generous serving of rice on each place.
The atmosphere has been transformed, gone is the 'Take Five' piped music, candles are on every table and the lighting has been dimmed so that the restaurant creates a cosy and inviting ambiance.
The food is much tastier and lighter than the traditional Indian restaurant and we will definitely return. If you like spicy food and haven't tried Sri Lankan give Unawatuna a try. First class!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Bob1949
UnawatunaRestaurant, Manager at Unawatuna, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you very much for you second review. We appreciate that you came back after your first visit and that you were able to see the changes that were made to contribute to the experience.
See you again soon.

Jersey, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

Have been meaning to try Unawatuna for some time and have never got round to it. Rang up on spec and they managed to fit us in at short notice if we could vacate the table by a certain time (which might seem a bit cheeky but makes perfect sense if you are trying to accommodate customers rather than turning them away and was no bother whatsoever to us.) The place has been decorated in a really tasteful and cosy way and was very inviting. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. Have never had Sri Lankan cuisine before but if you are partial to other South Asian foods (from Indian to Thai) it will be familiar but still different. The spice blends were particularly good and each curry we tried (3 curry taster is a good idea) was quite different though I should mention that none was particularly hot (spice wise) which may well be a theme of Sri Lankan food, I don't know and next time I will ask. The starters were delicious, coconut tempura prawns and fish balls. We only had beer but the Lion & Lion stout were a revelation! Would definitely recommend visiting, it is certainly no more pricey than any other comparable restaurant in Jersey and probably better value than most. We will be back.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It took us a while to decorate and arrange the restaurant to make it cosy so we are happy to see that it has paid off. The Taste of Sri Lanka ( 3 curries to share) was created to give our customers the opportunity to try more than 1 curry each and enjoy the food as it would be served in Sri Lanka. The Lion beer was an addition that was made to contribute to the experience and I am glad this made a difference to you.
We look forward to welcome you again and have a great experience.
UK
“Fabulous! Best vegetarian food on Island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Authentic Sri Lankan food, very well presented and such helpful and professional staff. We opted for the 3 curries to share offer which was a winner. If you are after vegetarian food that is interesting, tasty and substantial then this is the restaurant to go to. Sadly nearly all the Island's restaurants give no thought to vegetarian dishes so you either get an over-priced risotto or something with goat's cheese. The food at Unawatuna is fabulous for veggies, thank you so much!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank mossie17
I am glad to see that you are enjoying our traditional Sri Lankan cuisine (Our Vegetarian Curries) and I hope that you come back and try the rest of our menu & Specials.
jersey
“Beautiful each and every time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

We went to Unawatuna tonight, and were told it was our tenth visit! It only opened in October and we knew we had visited a lot, but didn't realise it was our tenth visit already :)

I went with my partner and our 19 month old son (who is always so welcome there). Tonight my son had the coconut tempura king prawn starter as usual, it's his favourite. Myself and my partner had the "Taste of Sri Lanka" menu. It's £15 pp (min 2 ppl) and you get 3 curries, 2 rice and 4 mini coconut roti with raita. We opted for the pork, fish and chicken and mango for our 3 curries. The chicken and mango (along with pork and pineapple) was the special tonight, and wow! It really was special! When I heard "chicken and mango" I immediately thought of a sickly sweet Indian curry of the same name I had once had, but when it arrived I was very pleasantly surprised! It had the same depth of a curry with all the usual complexed mix of Sri Lankan spices, but with the lovely twist of mango which added sweetness only in those mouthfuls.
We also ordered the Jersey greens with sun dried tuna and Dahl as side dishes (because we are piggies) and as usual I left so full I could barely walk home! To top off our fantastic evening (we had lovely wine, but that's not what I was going to say) the staff were, once again, great with our toddler, entertaining him for most of the evening which meant the world to us. Thank you once again Unawatuna!

Thank you for your review and visiting us over & over again. It is our pleasure to look after our customer the best way we can and we look forward to welcome you here many more times.
St. Helier, United Kingdom
“Very expensive for little atmosphere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had not booked but walked past and it looked pretty empty for a Saturday night at 6pm. We were told we could eat in but had to leave by 8.15pm. This was fine. Within five minutes of the menus being taken away, our small starter arrived. 2 x fish cakes with dips. No explanation of what the dips were and still not sure after tasting them! Within 2 minutes of finishing, our plates were taken and 5 more minutes and our mains were in front of us. I chose the large chicken curry because it came with rice. I should have ordered the small curry with a portion of rice on the side due to it being £1 cheaper and the size of the large curry being quite small. My boyfriend ordered the special which was a surf and turf curry. This consisted of 3 King prawns and a cheap braising steak with some sauce. His curry cost a ridiculous £17.50 which was shocking considering the size of the portion. We were out of the door within an hour of getting our menu and still had to get a snack later in the evening. I will not be going back and will be letting people know how disappointing the experience was.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AmyLouS82
UnawatunaRestaurant, General Manager at Unawatuna, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your recent experience with us. The restaurant was fully booked the night you came. We open at 6pm, hence the restaurant not looking very busy and most of our bookings are between 7.30pm and 8.30pm. All the food description is on our menu however I will ensure that in the future the staff explain the dish when serving it. Since we have opened in October, 99% of our feedback has been positive and with every feedback we try to improve and meet all our customers expectation. Our Surf & Turf curry is a lot larger than our other currys and is one of our most popular dish. I would have been more than happy to chat on the night and for you to share your concerns with me at the time. I sincerely hope that you will be coming back and let us exceed your expectation on this next visit.
Kind Regards