“EXCELLENT HOTEL”

Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in St. Helier
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a week at Grand Jersey St Helier. We had a thoroughly good time. The room and bathroom were a bit basic although it was a de luxe room with sea view. The sea-view was teriffic and the staff everywhere were always helpful, kind and considerate. They arranged a hire car for us and without question they always parked it for us in their carpark. The hotel food was brilliant and providing you didn't go in the posh restaurant, not too expensive. There were plenty of good restaurants within easy walking distance. The concierge would always ring the restaurant for us and arrange for us to eat out !!

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a room with a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,733)

Reviewed May 27, 2012

Once again stayed at the Grand Jersey on business. Once again I failed to make use of the spa so I won't comment on that!

I booked a sea view room and was upgraded to a suite which was a nice touch but not that useful for a business trip. The suite was absolutely huge and the front room faces the sea which leaves the bedroom to be quite dark and cosy - thus easy to sleep.

Breakfast delcious as before and staff very helpful.

Only complain would be the wifi which is basically useless as it is so slow.

I'll definitely be back

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
MelissaCrowther, General Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank your for your constructive comments regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased that as a returning corporate guest you are satisified with your room allocation - regarding the wi-fi situation, this is now in the process of being upgraded throughout the entire hotel and therefore, by the time of your next visit, this will no longer be an issue.

I very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future, and it would be wonderful if you can allow some extra time for you to make use of our award winning spa - if we can be of any assistance organising this then please contact us prior to your visit.

Reviewed May 16, 2012

we stay for a long weekend , amazing place , very good room with sea view.
very clean , very professional staff always with a smile.
lovely swimming pool , jacuzy and sauna ,
everything nearby , amazing views .

Room Tip: best we stay , sea view .
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your long weekend at Grand Jersey recently.

Our staff are always extremely pleased to hear when guests have received great customer service and I will be sure to pass your compliments on to them.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Jersey in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Stayed at The Grand last year with my Mum for her 80th Birthday and returned in May with my husband. The staff are lovely, very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is worthy of the 5 stars. The spa is a great treat. The hotel has a list of DVD's to choose from and so we took advantage of this and used the private cinema one evening. One of the restaurants Tassili has a michelin star and we treated ourselves to a meal there. We opted for the three course and I went for the wine flight, which provides a glass of wine to compliment the courses. What a wonderful experience and reasonably priced too. You even get to see the chef at the pass via a video link which was fascinating. The hotel overlooks Elizabeth Castle and is a short walk into town. There is a bus stop almost outside. The breakfast is buffet style and there is a great variety. Our room overlooked the park. Only downside was we were near the lift and stairs and some bright spark knocked on our door in the small hours as a joke. We could also hear the tv from the room next door which was a pain but was turned down when we complained. There is a fridge in the room and ample tea, coffee, still or sparkling water and a safe in each room. There are also blackout curtains and our room was well appointed with nice bathroom. Really enjoyed ourselves. Thanks to all concerned. We had a lovely belated Anniversary break.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from lift and stairs, as this seems to be the target room for jokers knocking on...

Dear guest,

I am delighted that you have had another wonderful stay at Grand Jersey - it is always lovely to welcome back guests year after year and we as a hotel always strive to offer an exceptional customer service - especially when we know that guests are celebrating birthdays, anniversaries etc!

I am so pleased that you had the opportunity to experience our Michelin star restaurant, Tassili - and I am sure you that you will returning home with wonderful memories from your anniversary break.

I very much hope that we will be seeing you again next year and I would personally like to meet you when you do return.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I rarely go back to the same hotel twice as I love staying somewhere new and different. It says a lot then that this was, in fact, our third visit to The Grand Hotel. What is it that makes us return?

First of all, it has to be its location. It is so easy to get to from the Port or Airport and is at a real vantage point for touring all parts of the island as you can access the roads to the north, west and east from just outside the hotel. The view of Elizabeth Castle is wonderful as is the view from the side rooms of the park. Traffic may pass but due to the low speed limits in Jersey, it is rarely a disturbance.

Second must be the atmosphere. There is such a consistency in the staff – either staying for long periods or returning. This gives a friendly air and always a warm welcome when one visits. It makes us feel valued as guests rather than merely customers.

Thirdly, there is a calmness. At breakfast service, certain ways have changed. There seems less of a hurry to be all things to all people and this has meant that the service runs far more smoothly and for the diner is so much more enjoyable. Instead of rushing to get toast and pots of coffee to each table, guests can make their own toast while fresh, hot, coffee is replenished regularly. It means there is less frustration waiting for items to arrive and staff being caught serving when they could be clearing off and resetting.

And fourthly – and most importantly, I believe – there is a refreshing attitude to the hotel industry. There is no smugness to this place – there is no feeling that they have achieved a particular standard and style that they want and you can like it or lump it. This is a hotel which exhibits that rare attitude of wanting to learn and keep improving. It asks for comments and when constructive, acts on them. It always makes me smile when I see something I suggested taken on board – a simple thing like saying that Afternoon Tea would look better served on the traditional stand rather than on one plate and next visit, I see waiters passing with traditional stands. A hotel that listens *and* acts is a rare thing indeed!

Any downsides to this visit? Two things. Firstly, dealing with the girl at Reservations was frustrating and at times, infuriating. I was trying to get the most suitable package for us but gave up in the end and booked through another site rather than the one on the Hotel website. I did email to say this and added that, had I not wanted to stay specifically at The Grand Hotel, I would have gone elsewhere. Making a booking should not be such hard work and exacerbating. And secondly, the dust levels in the bedroom was very high. There was a layer of dust on most surfaces and my travelling companion had an allergic reaction, waking up with breathing difficulties and a swollen face. We had alerted the hotel in advance that we were both asthmatic and while synthetic bedclothes were supplied, extra care could have been taken to see that the place had been adequately dusted.

Will we be back? Absolutely!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MGMcShane

Dear Mr McShane,

Thank you for your comments and such wonderful feedback. We, as a hotel, strive to excel in all areas of customer service, excellent food and fabulous spa experiences and I am so pleased that these have been recognised and appreciated following your recent stay.

We do listen to everything guests feed back to us, good and bad, and I just wanted to assure you that I will be reviewing the reservations/booking system with the aim to improve this following your comments. The same applies to your comments regarding dust levels in the bedroom.

I am so pleased that you had yet another great stay, and I very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

This property is greatly overrated as a luxury hotel. The rooms are dreadfully small, the bathrooms are bigger in a motel and the decor is more suited to Blackpool! We moved rooms twice and the windows were mostly broken, could not control room temperature if you could open a window there was a noisy fan running all night!
The positive side is the staff who are helpful throughout . As for much of Jersy, the staff are nearly all of E European extraction and communication is not always fully understood. In summary, overrated and overpriced.

2  Thank Barry B

Dear Barry,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and for your constructive comments relating to our bedrooms/bathroom sizes. We are very aware of both of these issues and are currently working on ideas to increase and improve the decor of both and this will come into action in the foreseable future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to feedback your thoughts to us - this is very much appreciated, listened to and actioned where possible.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

I just fell in love the Grand. It has quirky layout and is much larger than it seems from the outside.

Glad I opted for a seaview room... the view over the bay doesn't disappoint and was a real stress buster. Bedroom was modern and well-decorate in duck egg green. Free internet is a nice touch, but was slow (even the fixed line broadband) and clunky and could do with a booster.

The staff I met were all warm and friendly, especially the concierge and reception staff, who clearly enjoy their jobs. Didn't eat in either restaurant, but ordered room service twice - both arrived quickly and were piping hot.

The room service breakfast was simply amazing! If like me you're often left staring at a tiny plate and solitary crossaint thinking, 'did I just pay £X for that'... then you won't be disappointed here. The food on Jersey is hard to beat and it was nice to see orangey-yellow eggs, decent black pudding and (thank you...) fried bread.

It was pouring with rain when we landed so got a taxi from the airport (£11). Was less rainy for return trip so walked 10 minutes to Liberation Station to catch the number 15 bus - from Stand I - for £1.70.

Room Tip: Seaview rooms overlook St. Aubin bay. Other rooms have "garden" view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Dear Shaun,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, quality of breakfast and the service that you received during your stay - I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the rest of the team.

I take on board your comments regarding our wi-fi and just thought I'd let you know that we are currently updating this throughout the hotel (public areas and rooms) will all have fast, constant connection by the end of this month. We are fully aware that this has been an issue for many of our guests in the past and so we are delighted to be able to offer this improved service going forward.

I very much hope that we will see you again in the future and I look forward to meeting you on your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helier
#14 of 31 in St. Helier
The Inn Boutique
The Inn Boutique
#4 of 31 in St. Helier

Been to Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!