“So close yet so far”

Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I got a great rate for a 2 night stay but the room was disappoining and certainly not 5 star. There were so many things wrong with this hotel but the service and the spa are outstanding.
What this place needs is someone to get hold of it and decorate it, stay in the rooms and see what the customers see or you won't get many return guests... another thing that wound me up was the poor concierge who keep hold of your car keys and are constantly moving it about to block the car park or change the car parking space!? 5 Star!?

Room Tip: sea view rooms have good views, choose 117 but NOT 115
2  Thank ADwinelover
MelissaCrowther, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of Grand Jersey. I have taken on board your comments and suggestions and will discuss these with the rest of the team in order to move forward.

I would like to thank you for your kind words concerning our Spa and the service you received.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Grand Jersey in the future.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

was so excited to be going to a 5* hotel,however from the moment we struggled through the revolving doors with our luggage it was quite clear nothing was 5*. "where were the concierge/porters to assist? not good enough!
was DISAPPOINTED WITH the dark decor of room & the size,we had paid extra for park view balcony & it was actually smallest hotel room we've ever stayed in.
were given a set time for dinner as we had booked half board & there was no negotiating/flexibility on the time having asked twice.(hello service-5* treatment-where are you?)
had booked 7 nights half board,having ate in "victorias" for 6 nights just couldnt face it on last night & ate out of the hotel in a pub/inn which was 5* in all aspects compared to this.
food at dinner-totally average-nothing a la carte about it, also lacked any atmosphere in restaurant no-one eg waiters interacted with us, only person who stood out & was not robotic in reply/responses was the male sommelier who seemed genuinely friendly,polite & helpful. the whole restaurant seemed to lack any leadership or example on how to treat/serve guests.cant tell you how disappointed we were with the service throughout & the food at night.
best part by far was the selection & quality of breakfast,however again service lacked care,leadership & atmosphere. would not return-have stayed with the seymour establishments in jersey before who showed more 5* than anything in this hotel.

2  Thank petrapanLondon

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of Grand Jersey with us, we appreciate your constructive comments as they allow us to see where we can improve.

I apologise that you did not experience our usual five star standards during your stay, please rest assured I have shared your comments with the team and we will work to address the issues you have raised.

I do hope that you will return to Grand Jersey in the future for an improved experience and a true reflection of our five star service.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Stayed in this Hotel last weeek, excellent service in all departments,
rooms, bars / lounge area, concierge and reception. Our arrival
was efficently processed and we really enjoyed our stay.
It says on the brochure 5 star, but that would be stretching it
I feel 4.5 stars would be more accurate.
Food in the dining room and bar was excellent, the spa i first class,wifi througout the
hotel and free uswe of a computer made it all very enjoyable.and the locatrion
on the Esplanade being within walking distance of the town etc
is very hard to beat. Valet parking or our rental car was a great bonus.
We have booked for next year again.

Room Tip: Seaviews are the ultimate room, followed by garden view rooms all rooms are the same size on each f...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank andrew551498

Dear guest,

I cannot thank you enough for your outstanding review of Grand Jersey, I sincerely appreciate your comments and have shared these with the rest of the team.
We sincerely look forward to seeing you at Grand Jersey again soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2011

We chose this hotel not only for it's quality but also for it's location as the purpose of our visit was to see the Jersey Airshow which would take place directly in front of the hotel.On arrival we were checked in and given a quick tour by the receptionist to familiarise us with the facilities. A nice touch. Our room, was a Deluxe Park View, a very good size with a full size bath and shower and reasonable views of the sea, a tip worth remembering.The hotel was very clean and the staff were helpful and polite.The food in the restaurant was of a high standard although very expensive. It is more affordable to venture out to other restaurants. (The Old Smugglers Inn at Ouaisne Bay has become a firm favourite , see separate review).The only negative point was that a private party took over the lounge bar and terrace to watch the display. We booked the hotel with a view to using this terrace ourselves but at no time were we informed that this area was privately booked. We therefore walked to the seafront to watch the display,but as the weather resulted in it being cancelled we returned to the hotel with the intention of having lunch in the lounge instead but found it crammed full with some very "intoxicated" people from the party.This gave us the feeling that the facilities we had paid for were denied to us.The upside to this was that we enjoyed a superb champagne tea in our room.The room service was very prompt.

To sum up, overall we were happy with our choice and would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe park view as this also gives you a sea view.
1  Thank MERLION04

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences of Grand Jersey with us, we are most grateful for your wonderful comments.
I have shared your review with the rest of the team who are equally as pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us.
I have also taken your points on board regarding the Air Display, please rest assured we will address these issues for future events.
Thank you again for your review, I hope to see you at Grand Jersey again soon.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed September 8, 2011

We were able to get into our room on arrival.Had a nice room looking over to the castle.
Used the spa area each day, and had treatments on 2 days found the staff really great in there. Good food in the resturant and also room service.
We were on the Diamond & Pearl week end which was really special, well organised and great fun.We did book an extra night. I will visit again I am sure may even take my husband next time. In all the staff were very nice a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Very comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us at Grand Jersey and thank you for sharing this experience with others.
I have passed your wonderful comments on to the Spa team who are very grateful for your remarks.
I hope you enjoyed the indulgent 'Diamonds and Pearls' tours around Jersey and I will of course pass your comments on to the other establishments involved.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Jersey in the future.

Eamonn Elliott

Reviewed September 7, 2011

My elderly parents and I arrived at this hotel on Saturday morning. I had booked a single room for myself and on opening the door of the bedroom was nearly choked by the smell of smoke. It was sickly. I am not a smoker and the website stated no rooms available for smokers! Imagine my horror to then discover a tiny, pokey and dark room with a bed like a hammock - soft with a hole in the middle. The carpet was filthy and I found hairs in the sink of a bathroom you could hardly close the door of. The bath was about half the length of a normal one and no hot water came from the sink tap. I had a word with the receptionist who apologised and offered me an up-grade the following day when they had some available rooms. So, stuck in my little box-room, I nearly cried myself to sleep (fitfully). The smell of smoke was nearly unbearable.They should be embarrassed to expect anyone to PAY to stay in ROOM 5 as it was an utter disgrace. I stayed in the "upgraded" bedroom the next night which was okay but claustrophobic being dark and masculine in decor.
We ate in the brasserie which was extremely good, breakfast was ordinary. I moved hotels for the last two nights of the holiday.
I found the waiters hard work as they are not natives and seemed to have very little engagement with customers.
This hotel could do with some direction from the top in my opinion. Go stay at the Atlantic and see how they treat people......... So, before anyone from the hotel leaves a little reply saying I should have mentioned all this at the time, I DID and received very little for my effort.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank nicolaCo_CorkIreland

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Grand Jersey with us. I appreciate the constructive comments you have raised and rest assured these will not be taken lightly.

I have discussed the points you raised with the relevant departments and we will aim to rectify the issues you have raised immediately.

I would like to thank you for your compliments of Victorias Brasserie and hope you will return to Grand Jersey for an improved experience in the future.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Lovely hotel with luxury bathroom together with lovely toiletries. The beds were the most comfortable that I have ever slept in a hotel. The facilities in the room were excellent, as they were throughout the rest of the hotel. The choice at breakfast was wide and varied to cover every taste
The level of service was very professional, helpful and very friendly. I would like to especially thank Carmel, Eva, Dennis and Hugo who helped to make our stay so enjoyable. It was my birthday during my stay so the birthday card and bowl of fruit was such a lovely touch. We would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin H

Dear guest,

We are extremely grateful for your lovely review of Grand Jersey. I have of course passed your comments on to the team and Carmel, Eva, Dennis and Hugo have asked me to pass on their sincere thanks for your kind words.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Grand Jersey again in the future, perhaps for another birthday celebration!

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Helier
#1 of 5 in St.Saviour
The Inn Boutique
The Inn Boutique
#5 of 32 in St. Helier

Been to Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!