“I will return”

Ranked #44 of 234 Restaurants in St. Helier
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A stunning 200 seat venue located right on the Marina close to the Radisson Hotel overlooking Elizabeth Castle and the whole of St Aubins Bay. This very popular but diverse venue caters for Breakfast, Morning Coffee, Lunch, It's famous and award winning afternoon tea through to a innovative and fresh dinner menu. It's Marina Bar is a great place to watch the world go by, often with live music. Just a stunning place to watch the world go by. You haven't seen Jersey until you visit Tiffin!
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Tiffins

For no real reason I was prepared to be underwhelmed, this attitude threatened to degenerate into a mega sulk when I was told the barman had gone home so I couldn't have a Dry Martini.

However I was wrong, I wasn't overwhelmed, but whelmed is more than adequate for a post cinema meal late on a Sunday evening.

Tiffin occupies about fifty acres on the ground floor of a mixed development in the St Helier Waterfront. A friend who is an ace Spanish style guitarist plays there at the weekends and has been waffling on for ages about how good it is.

The reception from the staff was personal and warm. From the Table d' Hotel menu we chose pork terrine, prawn cocktail for starters, then for the main course, fillet steak and fish and chips, dessert was an exercise in murder by chocolate fudge!

Starters, ok is perhaps the best description. Prawn cocktail was enjoyed by my partner. The terrine had an overriding taste of English Mustard which was not really very pleasant, however the chutney and the beetroot sauce were good making a valiant effort to mask the mustard.

The Main Courses, were altogether a different kettle of fish and much ether by far.

The fillet had texture and was cooked as ordered to a medium rare. There were masses of chips and a hole wadge of garlic butter on top of the steak.

I am not a fillet fan, but this steak converted me, fillet is often 'pappy', lacking in texture and taste. This steak was well matured and you know you were eating it.

Chips, home made and bountiful!

Fish, chips and mushy peas. Now the smallest thing can turn a meal and the mushy peas were the best 'post marrowfat' that I have ever tasted. Moist and sweet and mushy, a small but very important thumbs up.

Chips as with the fillet were home made and I think 'buffalo fries' in any event very good.

Cod in batter; my dedication to this dish is such that I had made my own the night before and honestly consider it the best on the island, sorry for the arrogance.

So ordering it here less than 24 hrs later was in all honesty me setting Tiffins up to fail. An invitation to go home masochistically satisfied wallowing in dissatisfaction.

Not so, the batter was crisp and dry, the fish, moist and full of steam, not fat. This was a good piece of fried fish and as such a rarity!

Dessert was, well, a trip to dark chocolate heaven, a bitter chocolate fudge cake, not cloyingly sweet as is often the case.

Double espresso was good with more chocolate things.

I really enjoyed this meal and would enjoin others to get down there to eat and listen to my mate Simon on his guitar.

The staff got the balance just right and the joint owner a lady in a red dress was a great host.

They even found a warm Liberation Ale for me to make up for the lack of a Martini.

This was not at all what I expected. Most restaurants in these locations are corporate theme joints. Tiffin isn't, it is run by the owners, Ok there are a few rough edges in some places, but that is being picky.

Tiffins deserves our patronage and success.

In the immortal words of Douglas MacArthur, 'I will return'.

1  Thank AndyJ61
blendit, Owner at Tiffin Jersey, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you, and also thank you for the fun and honesty of your review! Some days we do wish we had forty acres here to accommodate all the lovely guests we get , always makes us sad when we have to turn people away despite having close to 200 covers.
We will continue to surprise and delight and work hard on every aspect of this stunning venue. As you say, we are not a big often soulless corporate offering, but a venue that is very much driven by its owners and the passionate team they employ.
We look forward to your return. A dry Martini awaits!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Slow service. Came for breakfast with children and they had run out of croissants. Ordered a flat white coffee and it was just an Americano with milk. Took 25 minutes to take our order. Other than that, a memorable visit

blendit, Owner at Tiffin Jersey, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

It's a shame you felt let down, but please remember the reason we are so busy and popular is that we make nearly everything in house fresh and cater for thousands every week. If we run out of croissants it's because they are popular and not something we just grab out of the freezer which would be such any easy option. The morning you visited was packed to the rafters with close to hundred plus eating breakfast.
Sorry we disappointed you, but we will never change our desire to bake fresh.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Lovely afternoon tea with lovely friends in beautiful setting and staff very attentive. Would recommend restaurant.

1  Thank Elizabeth A

Thank you. This last three days we have sat close to 500 guests for afternoon tea, which will give you anyone an idea of popular and delightful it is.
We hope very much to see you soon, and thank you for taking the time to write in!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Tiffin is tucked just out of the main shopping square of St Helier, we were sat in the inside terrace with stunning views over the harbour. A great selection of choices if a little pricy. Service was good and food tasted great.

blendit, Owner at Tiffin Jersey, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Thank you for your review. Tiffin is fast becoming the premier venue for Jersey for many reasons and we are obviously pleased you enjoyed your visit. Sadly there are those who find this hard to accept and attempt to discolour the true experience here as you will see from the review below, but these very see through reviews are becoming few and far between and reviews such as yours and all the others around you only help give the first time reader a real idea of the magic of Tiffin. 2000-3000 guests per week tells its own story!
We will keep working hard for all our lovely guests and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I would say is was actually bording on the poor side of poor. It's OK is you want a huge hit of sugar. Everything was far far too sweet and sickly (and I have a sweet tooth). Three small finger sandwiches, which were dried at the edges and quite bland. Then three sweet scones that weren't even accompanied with clotted cream. Was basically a small pot of chantilly cream that was flavoured with vanilla. Then the top layer was a diabetics nightmare. Absoutley no subtlety used with flavourings - just one huge hit of sugar. The only redeeming features are the speciality tea, the Malbec Rose and the staff. Which is why I gave it poor and not terrible.

If it had not been for the fact that I was being taken there as a surprise treat, the whole lot would have gone back there and then and I wouldn't have stayed. They even managed to mess the booking up as they didn't have us listed, but found a name that looked similar so gave us that table instead.

If you want a real treat and a quality afternoon tea than go to the St Brelade Bay hotel instead. They really know how to put on an afternoon tea that is high in quality. May be more expensive, but it's far better than this poor fare that was delivered. Will most certainly not be back to try anything else they may have to offer.

3  Thank nigs_h

Anyone reading this when it is surrounded by glowing reports on the afternoon tea we serve, coupled with blatant advertising for another establishment will quickly realise the agenda here. Kindly ignore.