“Very Good Hotel”

Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Washington, United Kingdom
“Very Good Hotel”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Nice modern hotel with clean and tidy rooms. Pleasant staff, good breakfast and only a short walk into the town centre past a few bars and restaurants. Could have been excellent if our room (room 101) hadn't faced the kitchens and the extractor fan wasn't running most of the night. (The food did smell nice though).
Would go back again...

Room Tip: Try and avoid the rooms facing the kitchens.
1 Thank Mike O
Stephenclipp, Owner at The Inn Boutique, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Mike O

Thanks for your great review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted you would like to stay with us again and please let us know when booking you would like a room away from the kitchen,

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Stephen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have just returned from 5 days at The Inn. We also booked for my parents. My step father has far from good health and as we were already on the island we popped in 2 days before my parents arrived to see if it would be possible for them to book in early as their ferry landed at 8.30am and my step father would need to rest. The receptionist could not have been more helpful and despite the hotel being really booked up she jiggled things around so that no one was in my parents room the night before they arrived. She warned me that this might change as a booking would not be turned away but hopefully it would mean that an early check in would be possible. My parents checked in about 9.00am and someone portered their bags for them. They were really happy with their room (and as my step father was unwell on a couple of days and was confined to bed this was a good thing). When we arrived later in the day we were assigned to Langtry. This room is right next to the lift (which was having problems at the time and making a horrid noise) and directly overlooks the road so is noisy and as my husband is a light sleeper not ideal. But from his point of view the bed was the biggest problem. He has arthritis and the bed is very low in this room and the space around it is quite narrow so not great for his mobility issues (lovely bathroom though). Spoke to reception and the only room left was a penthouse suite on floor 3, which was offered and accepted. This is a lovely room, airy and cool. Yes there is some road noise even here (but it is to be expected in a town) and is not overly intrusive. Beds are really comfortable and everything was clean and modern. The car park is small and parking is a bit tricky but in St Helier a car park is the exception not the rule, so even having one is a big plus. The staff were brilliant and were always willing to go the extra mile, even bringing the car round for my parents to load their luggage easily on the last day and I got the impression they cared about their job and their customers - even down to asking how my step father was on the days he didn't come down for breakfast . Felt more like I was in a comfortable home rather than a hotel. We ate in the hotel restaurant twice and had room service once and the food was excellent. My husband was disappointed that the creme brulee had run out on the sunday night but one was specially prepared for him at breakfast on the day we left as a surprise (and yes he ate it all on top of a cooked breakfast). The care and dedication of the staff make this hotel something special. I doubt any other hotel in St Helier could match the customer service of The Inn. What else can I say except thanks to everyone who helped make our stay go so smoothly

Room Tip: Penthouse suites are amazing if you can get one. Specify a quiet room at time of booking as main ro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ktigger
Stephenclipp, Owner at The Inn Boutique, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Hi ktigger

I really appreciate your wonderful review and I am so pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you also for communicating with us you circumstances. I am delighted we were able to assist with the early check in and finding a suitable room for your stepfather.

When guests have special requirements we will always do our best to facilitate them and I appreciate you pointing this out in your review along with you great comments about or restaurant and staff who I know will be delighted by your comments.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed for the weekend on the Gold Package, and would recommend it.
The rooms are very good, with nice little touches and the breakfast was excellent. Diner one night as part of the package was ok.
I did pass on a comment about the bagel used for the indulgence, please do not use frozen bagels or learn how to defrost them, as I am a bagel lover and the one served was rock hard.

There are many nice little touches the hotel make, which is over and above the 3 stars they say the hotel is.
The staff were very helpful and friendly. Ignore a previous poster saying it is up hill. The walk into St Helier was easy.

2 Thank keltoshe
Stephenclipp, Owner at The Inn Boutique, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hi keltoshe

Thanks for your great review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay and the Gold Package.

Thanks for letting us know about the Bagel issue and if course I must apologies. I will pass this on to our head chef so he can talk to his breakfast team about it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I also appreciate you mentioning the ease of the walk into town

I hope we can welcome you back soon

Yorkshire
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We only stayed one night (unfortunatley) but the service we received was top quality. We had gone to do the Jersey half marathon which had an early start. We asked if an early breakfast was possible (6.30) this was meet with "no problem" and it wasn't. The hotel is a short walk from the centre for us not an issue.
The hotel was clean and our room had probably been decorated in the recent past and had a comfortable bed plus good bathroom with good towels and toliteries.
We didn't us it but the resturant and bar looked welcoming, its best assest is the staff helpful and is also good value.

Hi geoffrun

Thanks for your great review. I am delighted your enjoyed your short stay with us and hopefully we can welcome you back soon for a bit longer.

All our staff read these reviews and I know they will be delighted by your comments.

I also hope you enjoyed the Half Marathon. I was also running - the last bit wasn't too easy was it?

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel does its very best to give you a very good and enjoyable stay. Our room (a 'superior' room) was not large but was comfortable, well furnished and very clean. The ensuite bathroom was first class. The hotel staff and service were, without exception, excellent. Breakfasts were very good although there was a strange illogicality in the pricing - the 'full breakfast' (included in the cost of a bed & breakfast stay) is £13.95 and other options (kippers or Denver omelette or scrambled agg & smoked salmon) were £7.95 or so each, but if, as a bed & breakfast guest you chose one of these cheaper options and did not have the 'full breakfast' (already paid for at £13.95) a charge of £4 is added to your bill. So effectively you are paying £17.95 (£13.95 + £4) for a breakfast costing £7.95. Apologies for 'banging on' but it just seemed totally illogical and kippers or the omelette would have been a nice change (but not at £17.95!) We ate one other meal in the hotel which was also very good. There is a slight problem with the hotel parking (although a big plus that there is a car park) because it is tight and easy to get blocked in but the hotel are very prompt in shuffling cars around to make sure you are not delayed. It is a 'town hotel' on a relatively busy road which can be noisy if you leave your room windows open but with the windows closed there is no noise problem. We had some disturbance from too loud music one evening from the bar which was immediately below our room (it stopped at midnight and was Ella Fitzgerald who, luckily, is a favourite of ours!). We mentioned it to the staff and had no problem any other night. All in all we enjoyed our stay and think it was good value. We would recommend the hotel.

1 Thank PhilipWinter
Stephenclipp, Owner at The Inn Boutique, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Hi PhiipWinter

Thank you so much for your great review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at THE INN.

I am sorry you felt a bit bemused by the fact we charge extra for A la carte breakfast items and I will try to explain the reasons best I can.

Our average nightly rate is on the low side for the overall standards we offer. These rates include both English and Continental breakfast which although is included, it is hugely discounted from the price a member of the public would pay if they just came in for breakfast.

Although our breakfast has a very large choice, we like to offer some additional items. These items cost us more to produce and therefore we put them on our A la carte selection. If we did not charge extra for them unfortunately we would not be able to offer them.

You will find this practice is the norm in many hotels.

Sorry about Ella disturbing you one night and thank you for informing us.

I am so pleased you would recommend us and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Stephen.
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Booked in on the day I need a single room . Nice surprise as I had not heard of this Hotel before or read any reviews. Checking in was easy and the Bar served food until about 9:15 pm so was able to get food and a drink in the bar quite late.
Found the Hotel nice and clean staff very helpful and overall what I paid reflected the service and standard of the Hotel.
Breakfast was to a reasonable standard although I did ask for white toast and got brown toast. Not a major issue as there was plenty of choice in the breakfast menu.

Downside - Not a great deal of parking , although the staff are helpful in shunting cars around . Not a lot more the Hotel can do about the parking. Decoration; there are a couple of areas such as the room I was in where the decorating could be of a better standard but in general the Hotel looks good.
Smokers: Little area in the back for smokers so they cater as well as they can for smokers .

Highlight : For me the ambiance of the bar which plays fantastic jazz music from Jazz fm along with the decor of the bar with a good choice of food & drink.

I would recommend this Hotel for the business visitors and short term holiday makers.
I would of course be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank aaronglenn
Hi aaronglenn

Thanks so much for your great review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Pleased you like the music! We do in fact play Radio Stations Popjazz Radio and Soft Classic Rock which can be found on the internet.

Sorry about the toast and hope we sorted it for you.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

switzerland
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The hotel staff was very friendly, helpful and allowing us to stay a few hours more without to pay a fee. The room was clean but small for two. We had a view to a wall from the next building and it smells a little bit from the citchen below. But in general, a good and cheap hotel for a night or two. Furthermore we could walk to down town. Everything in walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Stephenclipp, Owner at The Inn Boutique, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hi Eathealthy

Thank you so much for you review .I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and pointed out the value we offer.

My team were delighted to assist you with your late departure and appreciate your comments as they all read these reviews.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.