“The Inn place to be”

Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Bristol, United Kingdom
“The Inn place to be”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

This is a stylish boutique hotel on the edge of the town. It is just about walkable, up a bit of a hill. Rooms are tastefully furnished and bathroom very modern with walk-in rainshower. The cooked breakfast is the real highlight, everything fresh and cooked to order, with the special 'Inn' potatoes. We liked having a tea/coffee making tray, free wi-fi and in-room safe. We ate in the bar most evenings and the food and service very good.

Only downsides, as other Tripadvisors have stated, is that the building is very close to the road, hence a fair bit of traffic noise, although it all went quiet in the middle of the night.

In summary, we felt it exceeded its three stars, and was is an ideal spot for us to get into the town and explore Jersey.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed here for one night on 25th June, hotel was great. We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant as it was recommended to us, the food was very good and not too pricey. Our room was excellent, clean and comfortable.
The staff in the hotel were very helpful and efficient. Overall we had a great stay here, and some excellent cocktails in the bar!

• Stayed June 2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Stylishly designed budget hotel with boutique aspirations. Terribly efficient and friendly staff if in a somewhat duff location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lynnedunham, General Manager at The Inn Boutique, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Dear EmmaSO966

Thanks for your review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at THE INN. I just thought I needed to touch on a couple of your comments.First of all your use of the word "Budget" to describe THE INN. When I think of a Budget Hotel, the likes of Travelodges and Premier Inn's come to mind and that would not at all be an accurate reflection of THE INN. Of course I do agree with the title of your review and think that fits the bill when describing us.
Regarding your comment about our location, this is not the view of the vast majority of our guests whose general feedback is that the 10 minute walk into town and our central position makes the whole island easily accessible, which they really like.

Hope you will visit us again soon.

Regards

Lynne
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2011

As a regular traveller to the island every month my hotel is paid for each time I travel and having stayed in the Radisson for the past 6 months I was asked to try The Inn as an alternative as I think it saved the company few pounds and had been promoted to them.

I was neither dissatisfied nor particularly impressed. I stayed on two occasions, the room the first time was better than the second but i believe i had ben put in to a superior room on that occasion. I stay in hundreds of hotels all over the place and this is in many ways one of the better ones, comfortable bed, clean and obviously nice new linen, new furniture and decoration etc. The show in the first room was particularly good but just satisfactory in the second. I didn't have breakfast so i can't comment on that however I did eat dinner on the first occasion - I had a fillet steak, this was perfectly satisfactory but I wouldn't say it reflected the slightly inflated price particularly, I was sort of expecting something quite special and that didn't happen, although i would stress there was nothing wrong with it.

The rooms (or at least the two i stayed in) were particularly small, in my opinion quite cosy really, i don't need to dance around or swing a cat so i have no problem with that although these were on the small side of small!

The bed was genuinely very comfortable indeed and the linen and pillows equally as nice.

My negative views unfortunately relate to the lack of sleep i got due to the noise, on the first night I stayed it was extremely busy downstairs intthe bar, very VERY noisy and the room was simply too close to all that for me to stand any chance of the evening nap I attempted. The second stay was worse unfortunately: the room backed onto the main road and I was woken by pretty much every car that went past all night and early morning. NOT the fault of the hotel I might add but equally, they could recognise this and put in sound-proof double glazing or something to aleviate the issue - and it IS a BIG issue!

The other negative point i have is that although there was nothing particularly bad about the welcome and service, it did seem a bit pretentious - the staff I dealt with seemed to feel that the place was something really very special and whilst I can see that effort is being made, it doesn't scream ultra-special to me over and above what most other decent hotels are doing. I rang reception to ask for room service at a slightly borderline time just before the kitchen closed and was spoken to like I'd asked them to bring me the head of a dead cow! My message to the hotel is, "whilst you're generally as helpful and accomodating as you can be, there's a little bit of an attitude at times and you cannot expect your customers to know everything about your particular hotel, it would be nice if a little politeness replaced the objections I encountered when i was presumed to have read all the information available to me - customers are often busy too and dont get the time to read what you can and cant do".

My message to prospective customers is "stay here - it IS a really nice place, but be sure to request a room that is out of the way and not on the main road side of the building, expect to be welcomed but potentially in a rather contemporary and perhaps slightly pretentious manner"!

I'm afraid I am staying back at the Radisson now as what i get for the money is just that little bit better. I'd be happy to try here again at some point though assuming the invite is a little warmer.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank monster-traveller
Lynnedunham, General Manager at The Inn Boutique, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear Monster-Traveller.
Guest feedback is very important to us and I have read with interest your comments.

Regarding your bedrooms, we do have a small number over the bar, but I am surprised that you were disturbed as there is sound proofing and although our bar is usually busy anything that generates a lot of noise does not go on late into the night.

Most town hotels suffer from road noise and unfortunately we are no different, however all bedrooms do have double glazing, which does help eliminate this.

We do have a number of room types and these include a couple of wonderful , large Penthouse Suites at the top of the hotel which are very quiet and you will probably find at most times they would be priced similar to standard rooms at some of the islands more pricy establishments.

Regarding your other comments, my team and I pride ourselves on offering a friendly and efficient service that is totally focused on our guests needs. This is reflected in the vast majority of comments both on review sites and also on our own questionnaires

It really is difficult for me to comment further on your review as we don’t know who you are and some of your criticisms are rather general. As you are a regular visitor to Jersey, if you do have a few minutes spare next time you are over, could I ask you to come in for a coffee so we can have a chat, discuss specific incidents and I can try to understand why you feel the way you do about our hotel.

You can either call me on 01534 722239 or email me Lynne@theinnjersey.com to arrange a time convenient to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Lynne
Clevedon, North Somerset
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Another great stay, very helpful staff, clean room with a nice shower. As a lone business traveller the location is great for St Helier and the Staff always make you feel welcome. The bar area is friendly with great food negating the need to find a restaraunt or you can eat in the air conditioned restaraunt. Free car parking just across the road. My third visit and I will be back again. If you are a light sleeper request a room away from the road.

• Stayed June 2011
Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2011

You won't find a better "b&b" in jersey. It was more like a nice hotel than a b&b. Couldn't fault it.

A 10 minute stroll and you're in st hellier, would definitely recommend to a friend.

• Stayed May 2011
Lynnedunham, General Manager at The Inn Boutique, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful review and I am so delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at THE INN.

I thought it was worth pointing out that although we appear in this section of Trip Advisor we are in fact a full service hotel, graded Hotel 3 Star by Visit Britain and the only one in Jersey to be awarded a Gold accolade.

We only offer Bed and Breakfast rates to allow our guests total flexibility and freedom to eat from our various menus either in our restaurant or bar and also enjoy the numerous eateries Jersey offers.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I was looking for a quiet comfortable room for 2 nights and found exactly what I was looking for. The place is clean, welcoming and as lively as you want without being intrusive if you need peace and quiet. The bar and restaurant were busy and the breakfast was generous and comprehensive. Staff were attentive and friendly.
Overall I was entirely satisfied and would not have complained if the price had been much higher.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business