“Came up trumps at short notice!”
Review of Hotel de France

Hotel de France
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in St. Helier
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Came up trumps at short notice!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our Aurigny flight to Guernsey from Gatwick yesterday evening had to divert to Jersey as thick fog in Guernsey prevented our being able to land there. Aurigny crew sprang into action as it became clear that the weather was not going to improve, and with Jersey ground staff sorted out overnight accommodation for the 60+. passengers at the Hotel de France. Coaches were speedily dispatched to transfer us to the hotel; upon arrival we were checked in by pleasant, cheerful staff and informed that dinner was available for us all in the Orangery (courtesy Aurigny who also picked up the hotel tab). We were informed that the coaches would pick us up at 7.30am to return us to the airport, 60+ of us sat down and had a very tasty two course dinner served by efficient friendly staff. I was amazed that it was possible to cater for our number at such short notice. I tootled off to my room with a glass of wine in time to watch Match of the Day and got up in time to get the coach back to the airport. I really feel the hotel and its staff deserve congratulations and a big thankyou for dealing with this influx of stranded passengers at short notice with efficiency and charm.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Worcester, UK
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Having got a deal for one night, we were OK with a room without a view. The room was a good size and clean; parking was easy and the food & service in the Bistro was excellent. The location was handy for the ferry port and our early checkout was smooth.

• Stayed September 2013
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

When we arrived at this hotel in our rental car, I went inside to find someone to help with our luggage and was immediately impressed with the very elegant and spacious foyer, which unlike some four stars built in the 1860's had been immaculately maintained. This we were to discover applied to all the common areas throughout the property. The receptionist could not have been no helpful and a porter was immediately located. He took charge of our cases and directed us to the covered car park which is immediately next to the hotel.

On checking in, we asked if a room was available with a safe, one was in the newest part of the hotel at an additional charge of £50 per day. We were then given the choice of our standard room as booked, or the upgrade to the spa wing. We were then taken to see both. The standard room was quite large and very comfortably furnished, and we were very impressed. We then looked at the spa wing room, which was even larger, had the safe we wanted, and a balcony. It also had a vast bathroom with with walk in shower. A fine room and worth the extra which we selected to stay in.

We were at this property for two weeks and found much to impress us.

The ala carte breakfast is fantastic, the poached haddock with two perfectly poached eggs set us up for the day and equalled any we have enjoyed anywhere. The buffet is amazing with all the ingredients to create a fine English breakfast. plus abundant sliced ham and smoked slamon to helpyourself to.

We dined in the Aroma bistro style restaurand on perhaps six occasions and were on each occasion delighted with the food we were served, and the wine list. The very special things about this hotel are the exceptional service provided by all staff in all areas, and the value offered by the menus and wine list. Additionally the bar in the evenings if very professionally staffed, offers and fine selection of spirits and cocktails, all at quite modest price levels. Unusual for a hotel bar in our experience.

In fact the only negative was the standard of room cleaning, which needs addressing.

A great two weeks, and we will go back.

Room Tip: Worth the extra for a spa wing room.
Manchester
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel is located a short walk from St Helier. Parking, as with anywhere in St Helier, is very tight, and I ended up in the medical centre about 200 yds from the hotel. I was lucky - it was the last space. I think next time I will get taxis ! The hotel is tucked behind the medical centre which is a bit of an eyesore. However, the hotel is lovely and is done in a French chateau style. Check in was swift and efficient. My single room booked on booking.com was very clean and really quiet, which I really appreciated. The free wi-fi was very fast and enabled me to work during the evening. I ate in the Brasserie (Aroma I think - anyway the one near the spa area). It was very busy and bustling with a good atmosphere. Service and food were excellent and reasonably priced. Breakfast was included and was very good. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The previous review that says to choose your room carefully could not have been more accurate. We have just returned from a 5 night stay at the hotel and although we had a lovely time I feel the need to write this review about the issues we had especially with the rooms. The hotel photos on the internet look amazing but when you arrive this hotel is hidden behind a monstrosity of a building which is such a shame. The reception area restores your faith that the hotel will be lovely but the bedrooms then let you down again. This was a belated honeymoon with our 15 month old daughter. Having been to Jersey loads of times we decided to stay near St Helier in order to walk into town for dinner every evening. Having booked our room I decided to call the reservation line to ask for an upgrade to a spa room. This was declined due to 'insurance issues' which I subsequently discovered was actually code for 'no children allowed'. I then asked for a room with a view of the garden ideally with a balcony. I was offered a patio. We arrived to find our 'garden room' was on the opposite side of the hotel from the garden and looked at a 12ft tall wall. We asked to be moved. The staff were very obliging and moved us a few floors up which meant we could now see over the 12ft wall and into peoples gardens, not the garden room I requested when I booked. The room was not good either. It was like walking into a room at a Premier Inn (which if you are paying Premier Inn prices you don't mind - paying Hotel De France prices, you do mind). It was dated, small, unwelcoming and already had a double bed and a single bed in it, we then needed to add a cot! We wouldn't have been able to move! I again requested a new room. I had booked a garden view room with space for a cot and we were just not getting it. We were then offered an executive room as an alternative with what we believed to be a one off upgrade charge. This room was fine. Big enough and clean. Although, for an executive room I have no idea what more it offers other than a bit more floor space.
I still don't understand why we were told only certain rooms could have cots in them which is why they struggled to place us. My parents joined us for a few days and their room was nice, smaller than the executive room but ok. It would have fitted us and a cot in perfectly fine so the staff could have saved a lot of time by giving us one of those rooms initially. I get the feeling the families with younger children are all banished to the far end of the hotel and put in the not very nice rooms.
We then had issues with our bill when the upgrade fee we thought we paid once was actually per night but the receptionist did provide excellent service when resolving this issue.
The pool and spa area is great and a real asset to the hotel and if this wasn't there I honestly don't think this hotel should be a 4*. It needs to spend some money renovating the rooms and bringing it up to the standard of a luxury hotel that it markets itself to be. We don't mind paying for quality. However, this hotel is overpriced for what you get. But, praise where it's due, the staff were lovely, loads of choice at breakfast and we did have a great holiday.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank KFBliss
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel was really good. Service good, staff friendly, food at both Restaurants good quality. Not much bad to say about this one and glad I chose it!
Close enough to St Helier, about a 10 minute walk, I am fit so it was the best way for me. Enough to keep me occupied. I like travelling alone so this suited me fine apart from the weather on a couple of the days.
The Spa was amazing and I treated myself to a treatment which was wonderful! Gym facilities better than most places I have stayed and the pool was great!
Achieved what I wanted and would definitely recommend this one.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade if you are a single traveller - that was a bit of a disappointment but didn't re...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wendy D
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Lovely hotel, just what we wanted. Good size rooms lovely view over the town ad bay. Breakfast is great, wonderful choice. Staff all pleasant. Good food in the bars too. Spa is great, lovely pool ad sauna etc. the only downside was the weather, which was cloud and rain most days, but even the weather could not spoil a lovely week. Free parking too at the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor to get the view.