“Espetada ??? ”

Ranked #69 of 250 Restaurants in St. Helier
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This delightful country inn is situated opposite the local church, which dates back to the 13th Century and is situated in the picturesque Parish of St Mary's
Reviewed November 5, 2017 via mobile

We end up in this pub after a ride on ours bikes .
Looking at the menu we decided to order 2 epetadas . A beef one for my 10 years old son and a gambas and beef for me and my husband to share .
The espetadas cames with chips rice and salads .
I asked to cook the beef medium /rare so I was expecting a piece of meat grilled from the outside and cutting it along I was expecting to see a brownish color on the meat becoming red with some blood in the core .
The meat was kind of a stew / boiled meat very gummy with no taste and that surely hasn't seen any grilling!!
On top of that the chips weren't good enough very gummy / floppy as well .
Rice ok ( its just plain raise how you can get wrong ? )
Then The waiters came and ask the ritual question : " is everything ok? " at this point I ve asked how they cooked the meat and she then admitted that the meat after being marinated goes into the oven after a quick trip on the grill !!!!
In the oven ????
No apologies from anyone just a manager concerned on the fact that I've eaten the meat and so she could not do anything more .
1 )I haven't told her my feedback as I wanted her to remake my dish ( if a dish doesn't comes right from the kitchen the 1st time it's very unusual that it will be right the second one.
2 ) I wanted to let her know that this is not an espetada . If I read espetada on the menu I expecting a certain quality that the dish as to cover .
If you are cooking something different you can but call it differently ( stew meet on a stick ?)
3) chips weren't good enough very floppy or if not they were burned.
4) when we entered in the pub after the waiter gave us a table the manager asked me ( before I've even took my jacket off!!!) if I wanted a bottle of wine as she wanted to know if she had to keep the glasses on the table .
Well this happens quite often in jersey. I'm Italian and , in Italy, but I think it's the same for France or Spain ... Europe in general, you can not know if you want wine before you order your food . No one in Italy would ask you if you want wine before you sit down first ! Second you need to know the menu and every one else tastes before you can answer to this basic but tricky question.
I don't order a bottle of wine to drink it I order the right wine that goes with the right food . Drinking wine it's like a walk in the park . You can't enjoy the nature of you close your eyes .

1  Thank SoBra767

Reviewed October 20, 2017

Visited here last week for a meal - it wasn't anything out of the ordinary and not necessarily somewhere I'd go out of my way to go back to. Was OK.

Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

We went with a group of friends and they had a deal on that included 3 courses and a glass of wine for £20. This turned out to be great value and brilliant food. The portion sizes were great and the food had some real flavour to it. What makes it even better is when the glass of wine is of good quality and the service from the staff couldn't be faulted. All in all a great evening. Thanks.

Reviewed September 30, 2017

We had lovely meal, plenty for twenty menu, and it was. The steak was spot on.
We were celebrating Mum's 90th birthday and we had a great time, the staff were helpful and happy just like the manager Vivi, a great atmosphere.
Thank you, we will definitely visit again.

2  Thank petitmenage
Reviewed September 29, 2017

We had been to this inn many times before, but this time, found it was under new management and staff.
We had a really warm welcome and settled down in comfortable chairs near the huge traditional g granite fireplace. Drinks were quickly brought to the table and we spent a long time perusing the extensive menu.
The manageress was extremely friendly and introduced us to her chef husband.
As expected, our dishes were of high standard, well presented and highly delicious.
we followed our mains with excellent sweets and coffee.
The ambience of this inn was superlative and the whole meal delightful.
We intend to re-visit on our next visit to Jersey with our son.

1  Thank Vulcan707a