“great food”

Ranked #27 of 228 Restaurants in St. Helier
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: In the heart of town you'll find our bustling restaurant and terrace bar: delicious food to warm your heart and delight your palate, from Irish and British meats to local seafood cooked to order. In the historic Weighbridge area, next to the Jersey Museum, you’ll find one of the most popular restaurants in St Helier. Locals affectionately refer to the spot as the 'Museum Brasserie'; a cosy retreat with vibrant food in a lively atmosphere. Here business people discuss the markets over lunch and in the summer the Terrace Bar lights up and turns into a hot spot where people chill out with good tunes with friends. Dinner is either a set menu or a la carte. Fusions of fish and Eastern spices make the food exciting and delicious. This is the place to go for good hearty food with some unexpected twists. The desserts are to die for!
Belfast, United Kingdom
“great food”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

i had the ploughmans lunchboard it was a fantastic variety of scotch egg,chicken liver parfait,pork pie, cheese, various pickles and accompaniments.A great find in jersey as a lot of menus are much the same.the service was excellent accept for a tendency to hover by some staff.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Sean M
Gavin F, General Manager at Merchant House Brasserie, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Hi Sean M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this great review!

I'm really glad to see that you enjoyed your Ploughmans Board. My favourite parts are definitely the chicken liver parfait, the pork pie and the Scotch hens egg too, particularly as they are all home-made which is a rare occurrence outside of a high quality butchers shop. If you're keen on fish then I highly recommend our 'Fruits of the Sea Board' for your next visit (if you're ever over again from Belfast that is!). As I have mentioned many times it's one of my favourites!

Thank you for the kind comment about our menu too. We've tried very hard to create a good mix of favourites with a twist like our ever popular Boards as well as some more adventurous dishes.

As for the service I am very apologetic that you felt that the staff were hovering. We have a service ethos of 'friendly, present, attentive but not overbearing' across the Dolan Group which I am proud to say is a balance that we usually hit spot on but we were obviously being a little too attentive on this occasion so I will have a word with the team and make sure that this it doesn't happen again.

Please do let me know when you're back in the island (the number's 510069) and I will be more than happy to arrange some sun and a nice table so you can taste some other dishes on the menu.

Many thanks again and I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Yours Sincerely,

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and location”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Booking couldn't have been any easier. Did it on line on the same day based on previous reviews.
Great location. From the moment we stepped in we were made to feel welcome. Sat outside which was lovely. Food was first class especially the seafood. Prices are not cheap but not expensive neither for the quality of the food.
Staff were efficient and considerate.
Highly recommend it.

• Visited July 2014
Gavin F, General Manager at Merchant House Brasserie, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Hi Sue R,

Many thanks for taking the time to post this great review.

I'm very happy that you like our online booking system. Along with the traditional methods we do try to make it as easy as possible to book in a way that suits you so I'm glad to see that we've hit the mark!

We're blessed in Jersey with some really fantastic seafood so I'm thrilled that you enjoyed yours on our terrace. While I may be blowing our own horn there are very few settings in St. Helier that are as idyllic as ours to enjoy some good fresh produce so i'm happy the sun was out to add that extra little something to your experience.

Please don't hesitate to call me personally at the restaurant if you happen to find yourself back on the island and I'll try and arrange some sun for you again!

Kind Regards,

Jersey, United Kingdom
“An excellent meal”
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Very warm July evening and they had their outsides eating deployed to best advantage. A good crowd of customers eating outside. Staff cheerful and attentive and the meal very very good. Duck egg salad with black pudding terrific and sea bream special lovely. Round off with an unusual but very good tarte tatin and we were very pleased eaters.

Visited July 2014
Hi John73_11

First and foremost thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

I'm very happy that our terrace was to your liking and that you got to take advantage of it. We've been really lucky with the weather this year so following a slight re-furb (that we're still in the process of doing!) it's naturally been extremely popular.I can't help but feel like I'm in the South of France when I'm at work (a reasonably priced version mind you!), especially when we have our new Inferno heaters on so who needs to go away for holidays? :)

I'm a big fan of the Poached Duck egg and Stornoway Black Pudding salad myself and the Catch of the Day never fails to please so I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed it too.

We've actually got a new desert menu on at the moment so if you liked the quirky Tarte Tatin you'll love our new Earl Grey Panna Cotta (or the Menthol Strawberry Sundae if you fancy something lighter). With no exaggeration it...is...phenomenal...you simply have to try it.

Please do not hesitate to give me a call on 510069 if you would like to make a booking and hopefully we'll be lucky enough to continue this great weather!

Kind regards,

Clifton, United Kingdom
“Very lush”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Situated next too the Jersey museum. This restaurant has a great table seating outside. Service was good. Foot was brilliant, platter boards are worthwhile. Fish is fresh, caught that morning by the good old Jersey fisherman. Salads are fresh. All round food is great and healthy. Great hangout.

1 Thank KvHeerden
Hi Halkyn14

Many thanks for your gleaming review!

I'm thrilled to hear that you found your meal 'very lush' as you described and that the service as well as the food hit the mark.

Our Boards are always extremely popular (and are one of my personal favourites as I love the fact that you get a little taste of everything from them) so I'm very happy to see that you enjoyed it too :)

When the weather's out I can only agree that our terrace is a lovely place to hangout and have some 'me' time during the day as well as the night.

We're in the middle of a re-furb inside too so if you're ever in our neck of the woods again please let me know by phoning me on 510069 or e-mailing me at gavin.farmer@dolanhotels.com so I can hangout inside too.

Best wishes and many thanks again for the great review,

Reading, United Kingdom
“Nice food but service could have been better.”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We had dinner on Wednesday 2nd. July & the restaurant was quiet ( however, the following two evenings were fully booked).
Food & wine were fine but the service left something to be desired. Not sure what it would be like when they're busy.
Looking at the other reviews it does seem that slow service is a common theme --- shame because in all other respects this is a nice place to eat.

Dear RonRG6,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review.

I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed the food and the wine during your visit and very sorry that you found the service to be slow.

We were experiencing some slight issues with regards to our new menu and the speed of service at that time but I am happy to say that they have been resolved and that slow service is no longer a problem!

If you are back on the island Please let me know by calling me personally on 510069 and I will make sure that you leave with expectations exceeded!

Many thanks again and warm regards from a sunny Jersey,