“gem of a restaurant”

Ranked #17 of 238 Restaurants in St. Helier
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

What a shame we only found this on our last night in Jersey. The food was excellent and the waiter happy to please us. The polenta was amazing, so light on the inside with a crispy outside. I asked how the chef managed it and was told he added cabbage!

1  Thank 368hilary

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We ate twice here and on both nights the food was excellent quality. The food is piping hot and comes with rice, fries and vegetables. I have a good appetite but both nights I had to leave food, the portions were that good.
The service is very good too, with the only blemish, and I am being picky, was the waiters did not really enter into conversation......could be because they were rushed off their feet.

On both nights we had two 3 course meals with drinks which averaged £50 per night. On the second night I ordered the chicken hotspot.....brilliant and bottomless. When I started to eat I was 12 stone, halfway through the bottomless hotspot I was up to 14 stone. I, as you probably guessed, could not finish it.

1  Thank SportyChris
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We liked this Bistro so much we dined there our first and last nights, simply because the food was fantastic, and it was certainly no one-off!

The emphasis is on Portugese dishes at this lovely restaurant, and the quality of the ingredients is very high.

They can be justifiably proud of their chef at Mano's.

The restaurant itself is spotless, light and contemporary inside, with a selection of large and small tables to sit most size groups down to dining couples.

We arrived on a busy Saturday evening, and a table for two was quickly found for us. Our orders were taken, and we enjoyed a leisurely glass of wine whilst waiting for the starter. I chose scallops with bacon and garlic butter. I wasn't disappointed. The scallops were juicy, moist and beautifully cooked. The portion size for a starter was generous, with four large scallops complete with corals. My partner chose a crab dish, which again was beautifully presented and very generous. Our meat main dishes were tender and tasty, and there was a very good selection of dishes and wines to choose from.

The average starter price was from £6.95 to around £10.00 and the average meat main course was between £14.00 and £18.00. There were also pasta dishes available.

Most dishes were served with vegetables or rice, and again, portions were generous. There is a good selection of desserts.

The owner clearly cares passionately about the way his restaurant is run, which is efficiently and warmly - the restaurant staff are friendly and attentive without being intrusive, and nothing is too much trouble.

There is an outdoor seating area available for those who like to dine al fresco.

A baby shower was taking place on the Saturday evening when we first dined at this restaurant, and the staff took immense care getting everything on the table just so.

There is something for everyone here. I dont think this restaurant will disappoint, and it's something a cut above the usual. Give it a try and I suspect you may be hooked. I would definitely make a point of visiting this little gem again if I return to Jersey.

1  Thank Scotchontherocks88
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We found this bistro by accident , seeing other people heading in to the corner of a square we followed and found this superb bistro. it was busy on a Tuesday evening!! having never sampled Portugeuse food before we wernt sure what to expect. Make sure your hungry when you visit as the portions are enormous. great value for mioney.

1  Thank keithbr13
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant a number of times and our last visit did not disappoint. Amazing as always. Food excellent, great service and a friendly atmosphere, what more can you ask for.This is By far the best restaurant in Jersey and i look forward to visiting again soon.

1  Thank Claire D