“Dinner with family”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2014

On business in Jersey, I met up here with my aunt Doreen, cousin Peter and his wife, Eve. They have lived here for 40 years and have been regulars at the restaurant but it was my first experience. The staff are friendly and very professional in their service standards.
We were served drinks and canapés while we waited for our table and Peter chose an excellent Aloxe-Corton from the extensive (if a little expensive) wine list. My starter was a special of scallops which was excellent - big, fresh and cooked to perfection, i.e. very quickly in a hot pan. Saltimbocca for main course was very good and more than enough so no need for dessert.
If you are in St Helier, this is one of the best place to go for an authentic, quality eating experience.

1  Thank Graham C

Reviewed April 7, 2014

The food choice was vast and certainly catered for all of our family requirements, however, it was lacking in service, we had 3-4 different waiters, none of whom really seemed to care. We had told them in advance that it was a special family meal yet no mention of this was made during the Evening which was a shame.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

My favourite Restaurant in Jersey - and by a good margin. One of the very few places that are still properly run; with every member of staff doing a completely professional job. We had a roast of lamb, sliced off the bone in front of us: unbeatable taste. The business lunch during the week is excellent value, too.

1  Thank Peter P
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We were recommended to try this restaurant by the Consierge at our hotel and he was right in saying that it could be difficult to find. It is on a pleasant, but quiet, side road and beyond a small hanging sign was anonymous. We received a warm welcome with staff buzzing around us (perhaps because we were the first Diners of the evening) and we settled in the Lounge area for drinks and canapes. Impressive trays of the Chef's special starters. The place began to fill up and it was clear that they have loyal regular customers.
We were showed around a corner to the restaurant area with crisp white Table cloths and Napkins - it certainly looked the part. we had chosen from the chefs specials for our starters and had the full silver service as our plates were prepared. Similarly I had chosen (from a varied and eclectic menu) an old fashioned Steak Diane. This was cooked at our table and was delicious. The wine list is extensive and, unlike many Italian restaurants includes a lot of wines from both the old and new worlds. However we rarely spend more than £30-40 on a bottle of wine at a restaurant and this significantly limited our choice (there was a lot of wine in the three figures category.

As expected, by the service and quality of food, the bill was significantly higher than the average Italian at £150 for the two of us plus tip. The bill was a little difficult to follow at first (it seems that side dishes were listed under misc.!) but the most irritating item was the 10% service charge. I don't need to be told how much I appreciate the service and I resented it - especially as the price per dish was not cheap (except of course when it is a large party-when adding a charge to the bill ensures that service is considered). In fact I would have tipped closer to 15% for the service that we enjoyed and was so irritated that I limited the tip to what they "demanded". A shame. at the end of a very pleasant evening it left a sour taste.

Would I go again? I'm not sure. The service and the food is very good but it is very expensive (we ate at Michelin starred establishments during our holiday and they were less expensive - especially the wine lists!) and we did resent the service charge demanded.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Went there on a recommendation from a local & was not disappointed. The whole experience was spot on from the warm welcome, the service throughout & the food & drink. Could not fault this restaurant & would recommend any visitor to St Helier seeks it out.

1  Thank MikePurton