“Lovely location!”
Review of De L'etang

De L'etang
Ranked #1 of 21 St. Helier B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Let me start by saying that the guest house is across the road from the beach and a steady 10-15 minutes walk into St Helier, so the location is fantastic. Upon arriving, we were greeted by the lovely, friendly owners and allocated room 14 on the second floor (a climb that may not suit the infirm!). The room was a nice double; a good size and very clean. The bathroom is compact but it has a roomy shower stall and the sink being in the actual room meant we weren't under each other's feet when trying to get ready to go out. The sheets on the bed were very clean but the bed itself has maybe seen better days - flat, old pillows and feeling bedsprings through the mattress left us feeling tired and achy in the mornings....having said that, the fantastic full English breakfast soon perked us up! Cooked to perfection, generous portions (4 slices bacon!), variations (beans one day, then hash browns)...couldn't fault the food.
This Guest house has a popular bar and restaurant, and seems to always be quite busy. Sometimes these sounds drifted up to us, even on the second floor at the back of the property, but for the main part, we had peace and quiet.
The price was extremely reasonable for the location and we thought it was brilliant value for money. Almost a 5 out of 5 but the poor sleep quality and the fact they provide a kettle and cups but no tea or coffee lost it a star! Would I return? Absolutely. Would I recommend? Definitely. The owners are lovely, genuine people who always had a kind word and we felt very much at home, and it seemed evident everyone else did too.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the property may be quieter due to the main road and the bar at the front. Of...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank NottinghamLisa

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Good points - Good location on the seafront and a short walk to a selection of restaurant. The proprietors John and Rebecca are friendly and helpful. Excellent well cooked breakfast although limited choice. Very good food in the small restaurant, well cooked and plentiful. Rooms are clean but basic.
Negatives - shower room/toilet the size of a wardrobe. Paper thin walls so you can hear every grunt, groan and sigh going on in adjacent rooms. Very lively bar which becomes a nuisance because of the noise if you want to get to sleep before 12.30am.Also, late night revellers returning in the early hours will disturb you even if they are trying to be quiet.
This place is cheap compared to a lot of other places in St Helier so if you are on a budget you will have to put up with the negatives. however if you are looking for a quiet break in pleasant surroundings go somewhere else.
If John and Rebecca could turf out all the non residents from the bar by 10.30, then it may be a different story. However this is unlikely to happen.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were only there a couple of nights. The location and cost decided my booking. A very good choice. The staff were friendly and helpful. The view from our window was what being at the seaside should be. The 60s songs in the bar on Friday night were great fun, a bit of a sing along and a dance. The room was what was needed for stay, comfy bed, clean linen and a shower. As for being no tea and coffee in the room, didn't even realise it until we were checking out, after all who needs tea and coffee when you are on holiday? Saturday night we let ourselves back in with no problem well after midnight. I would certainly go back if I'm ever in Jersey again. The 70s décor has been mentioned in reviews. I was really looking forward to it and slightly disappointed it wasn't as 70s as I'd come to expect (no avocado sinks in sight). To me it was 'normal', but that may be my age!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank J0444
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Our first visit to Jersey and what a stay! 3 days at The De L'Etang but could easily have been 3 weeks. 5 Star welcome and service. Lots of laughs and excellent food all at 3 star prices. John & Rebecca (owners) plus all the staff made our Jersey visit brilliant. Staying at The De L'Etang is a must and we can't wait to go back. ~ Geoff & Ann Southend-on-Sea, Essex England

Room Tip: Don't look around, just book The De L'Etang
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Geoff G
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I chose De L'etang from the internet as position and price. I was concerned that all would be exact, as it was to be a Surprise 30th Anniversary Present for my wife. I need not have worried. The Hotel was absolutely "spot-on" We were met by Rebecca (Owner) and instantly made at "home" The Hotel is a family run place. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the room. It was well fitted out but, if you want your own "morning/afternoon-cuppa" you will have to pick some supplies yourself. Later we met John; Owner and SUPER COOK !!!! Breakfast was a MEAL to last the day !!! Good choice and plenty of it. I booked B&B so that we would not be "locked-into" meals that may not have been up to standard. Should have NEVER feared. The evening meals; (we had six of them!!); were spot-on !!! Again, lots of choice, well cooked, (not wishy-washy veg:) and good value for money. To round the night off, we spent in the small friendly bar. We met some really lovely "local-people" there who used the bar, as a regular haunt. As we had driven up from the south of Spain, they were MORE than intrigued by our adventures !!! All in all, Our 30th Anniversary was made VERY SPECIAL by the owners. Many thanks to Both.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank LosRomanesJohn
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I spent 4 nights at the De Létang at the beginning of March 2012.

This hotel is rated 3 stars. The owners are extremely polite, the breakfast is good, the room and bathroom were very, very clean and, finally the bed was comfortable. There is a little bar where we spent some time cosy time in the evening.

De L'etang's location is about 10-12 minutes walk to the city center.

In the cons department I'll mention that you won't find coffee or tea in your room so remember to take some with you. Maybe I could mention too, that the room has some 70's feeling as other reviewer mentioned elsewhere.

We were looking for a hotel with sea view but we really didn't want to pay the price that other hotels (fairly enough with more stars) in St Helier were asking for. So it was a big surprise to see that room 15 with sea view and own balcony cost 60 £ per room per night.

So all in all I think we got extremely good value for money: wake up with that nice view and you will understand!

This is not the Four Seasons but it has its heart in the right place!

Room Tip: Remember: room 15 if sea view is your priority!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Oscar L
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I stayed at De L'Etang for a family wedding. The owners were really welcoming and went to a lot of trouble to make sure everybody was comfortable. We ate in their restaurant once, where the food was super. Though my room at the front was clean and spacious, the noise on my first night was awful as I had to be up early the next morning. There was a party in the bar and I had to turn up my tv to try and relax and then eventually resorted to putting in my flight earplugs to get some sleep! I don't understand early check out times. Everywhere I have travelled abroad checkout is midday so 10 am seems pretty early to me though we were allowed to put our belongings in the lounge for a couple of hours. The view of the bay from my window was beautiful. My daughter and her partner, who had a room a the back, were woken early one morning by people arguing in the kitchen below but fortunately they thought it was quite funny.

Room Tip: The front room/s have a lovely view of the bay.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family