“Bohemia - really impressed with Steve Smith!”

Bohemia Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bohemia Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 225 Restaurants in St. Helier
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Steve Smith at Bohemia receives rave review from one of the world’s top food critics July 2013Steve Smith and his team at Bohemia are over the moon as the Michelin-starred restaurant has been scored 16/20 by food critic Andy Hayler on his acclaimed food review website andyhayler com Bohemia is one of only 20 restaurants in the UK in the last year to be awarded such a high score beating several 2 Michelin star restaurants like Joel Rubicon and Michael Wignall at the Latymer.Andy Hayler is one of the world’s most respected food critics and the only man to have eaten in all three Michelin star restaurants across the globe in just one year.Interestingly Hayler is also one of only a handful of critics who never accepts a free meal, always covering the cost of his meal, he ensures that his reports are fully subjective.When at Bohemia Andy Hayler opted for Steve Smith’s pescatarian tasting menu, though he swapped one course in order to try some meat as well. His review describes each dish in detail commenting, “Lobster with pea purée was served with pistachios and smoked butter foam. This was a very good dish, the local lobster tender and the pistachios adding a useful texture contrast.” And; “I had chicken with girolles, pea purée, sugar snap peas, mushroom purée and a Madeira sauce. The chicken, unlike so many served on restaurant tables in Britain, had good flavour, the sauce lifted the dish and the pea purée was also good; seasoning was very accurate, as it was throughout this meal.”He summarises the experience by saying, “This was an excellent meal.”Commenting on the review Bohemia Head Chef Steve Smith said, “I am absolutely thrilled that Bohemia has been rated so highly by such an acclaimed food critic as Andy Hayler. It is pleasing to know that our ethos of looking after our guests, offering quality and value for money; and on a technical level focusing on precision, balance and depth of flavour is recognized as the key to an outstanding dining experience.”In recent years Jersey has struggled to gain the attention and recognition afforded to other destinations by leading food critics. However it seems that the tide has now turned and not only are critics visiting the Island but its superior establishments are making an indelible mark as demonstrated by this latest achievement for Bohemia.Lawrence Huggler owner of Bohemia added, “To see the fantastic feedback Steve Smith and Bohemia has had from both locals and visitors to Jersey has been amazing and to then get a review from not just a world leading food critic but one whose reviews I personally respect so much is particularly special. Steve’s team in the kitchen and Dimitri’s front of house team have really raised the bar in Jersey and it is great to positive recognition of this.”
Jersey
“Bohemia - really impressed with Steve Smith!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I have been a regular visitor to Bohemia and always enjoyed Shaun's food (although admittedly the menu hadn't changed much for a while). I was interested to find out what changes Steve Smith would make. We went for the tasting menu and were really impressed. The food is exciting, the presentation is stunning and the whole experience was great with some really nice touches. Thanks to Dimitri for looking after us, as always, and the cocktails! I would highly recommend giving Bohemia a try.

• Polish first
St. Helier, United Kingdom
“Going down hill”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We eat at Bohemia 2or 3 times a year and have always loved it. We went a couple of weeks ago and were not impressed. The menu format has changed and you can now have a minimum of 6 courses going up the prestige menu (which we had) which is 12 courses if you count the canopies and costs £85.

Pros:

Crab canopie was lovely
Smoked haddock ok
Foie gras was delicious
Scallop was very good
Sea bass very good
Rhubarb very good
The waitress who served us the food was professional and friendly ad the maitre d was pleasant enough.

Cons

They only had 4 or 5 rose wines and didn't have the one we ordered. Not the worst thing but we placed the order whilst sat in the bar. As we had finished our cocktails we asked to have it in the bar but it never arrived and we were left for 20 minutes without a drink.

The area we were sat in was by the window and quite chilly. It didn't bother me but my wife only had a flimsy dress on and even with the portable heater they had rolled in she was still uncomfortably cold.

They offer seaweed or salted butter and although we asked for salted were given seaweed - certainly an acquired taste! On the plus side the bread was lovely and served in a warm sack which was nice.

As you would expect they pour the wine for you and don't leave it at the table. One of my real pet hates is when they let your glass run dry - this happened 3 times during the meal which is very poor.

We got the wrong main course - said sirloin steak on the menu and we served venison which neither of us liked. We did mention this and a replacement was offered but we didn't want to wait.

They ran out of lobster but didn't tell us at the time of ordering which was annoying. On the plus side the sea bass we had instead was delicious.

As there are so many courses it takes AGES to get through them. We sat at just after 8.30pm and got our last course at midnight -longest meal I have ever had!

You may think I'm being overly picky and if these things had happened in a standard restaurant i wouldn't have minded half as much. However, when a meal for 2 costs £240 you really should be expecting a faultless dining experience and not one littered with such basic issues.

We decided to mention some of these points after we had paid the bill but got a fairly defensive response to what was supposed to be constructive feedback. Not the best service really.

I will still return at least once more as the chef is obviously talented and there was some exceptional cooking on the menu but they need to sort out the mistakes and for my taste have more consistency across all the courses and not have highs and lows

• Visited February 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“AMAZING! MICHELIN STAR AT ITS BEST!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Amazing. Food gorgeous, so fresh and delicious. Staff very nice but the food is the main point. Accommodated my vegetarian needs very well! Really lovely, would love to return but very pricey!

• Visited March 2012
London, United Kingdom
“There are others that are MUCH better !”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I was on a short visit and had dinner here with friends. The waiting staff were so "up themselves" you would not believe it ! The food was good but nothing at all special and he evening was spoiled by the terrible service attitude/

One of my guests was a retired multi millionaire and a household name. He said it reminded him of a day he had at Butlins when he as a child. Would I go back ?Not even if it was free !!

Visited February 2013
Jersey
“Even better than before”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've always loved Bohemia, food was consistently great and the service is second to none in the island, so I was a little anxious when Steve Smith came in. I shouldn't have been - we had the tasting menu and the food was stellar.

• Visited February 2013