“Good Value for Money, Clean & Friendly”
Review of Ambassadeur

Ambassadeur
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in St. Clement
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
“Good Value for Money, Clean & Friendly”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We had originally booked with another hotel through 3 X Travel on an all-inclusive basis (Bed Breakfast, Dinner with wine and a free bar from 6pm – 11pm) but were told a short time before departure we would be staying at The Ambassadeur Hotel for our 10 night walking holiday. With hindsight we were very happy about the move!
Check-in was friendly and efficient. Our room was a family room (for 2 of us) large light and airy, but because it over looked the pool and there were other rooms across the quad we had to keep the net curtains drawn. At that point we discussed asking if a room with a sea view was available, but decided £5 pppn was not justifiable on a budget holiday! The room was clean and well serviced every day, but definitely not 3*. Not a problem as we just wanted somewhere to sleep and get changed, and the bed was very comfortable.
The bar and dining room were 3* and the staff everywhere were friendly and professional. The food was varied and the quality excellent, but it did cross my mind that vegetarians were not well catered for at dinner. All the food was piping hot and served on hot plates. The restaurant staff worked exceptionally hard but always managed to be cheerful, and patient with the many elderly guests. Many thanks to our waiter Eddie for looking after us so well. The house wine included in our deal was very acceptable and the range of drinks available at the bar was excellent.
The busy main road between the hotel and the beach was a downside. There were regular buses to St Helier or a walk of between 1 and 1 ½ miles depending on the route taken. It was not pleasant walking on the pavement, but if the tide was out the sands were a good option, and then there was the choice of a short cut through approximately 300 yards of busy noisy tunnel or over the hill by Fort Regent.
Our biggest disappointment was the Wi-Fi availability. We had bought a netbook to be able to check work emails, Skype our daughter in New Zealand and generally keep in touch and were kindly provided with the username and pin required, by reception. What we were not told is that the router needs to be reset before it can be accessed. Assuming the fault was either something I was or was not doing, or the netbook, I spent a long time trying to gain access to the internet. Once the router had been reset we had no problem for around 15 minutes and then the link was lost which meant asking for the router to be rebooted again, and again. This only worked in or close to reception, not ideal. Wi Fi should be fully available or not at all, and I would have been happy to pay for a continuous service.
Wi Fi apart we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Ambassadeur and would highly recommend it. We have great memories of good food and wine, and we enjoyed meeting and talking to some lovely fellow guests.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Gelly88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2011

I have Just got back from my holiday at the Ambassadeur in Jersey and it was brilliant and will definatly be going back.
The location and price of the hotel is ideal about 2miles from St. Helier and right on the seafront, plus the hotel it self is of excellent standard.
The staff are all amazing all the girls and guys on the Res/Front desk are brilliant and will help you any which way that they can if its just local knowledge or even if you just fancy a quick chat they will all are very nice. The Half Board option is an absolute favourite from pork, duck soups plaice filllet and etc plus my fiancee who loves sea food said it was the best Plaice she has ever tasted.
Drinks are quite cheap at they hotel which was a pleasent surprise as down here is Essex it is an extortionate amount in our local.
There is also a outdoor swimming pool which was a little cold but we were able to brave and have a quick dip now and again.

Over all the hotel is well worth a visit it is a brilliant 3* and would highly reccomend anyone to go to this hotel and would recommend anyone to visit Jersey!!!

I booked through a service called Fly Jersey who werre very helpful

Callum

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Callum1988
Devon
Reviewed June 13, 2011

The position of the hotel is really lovely. Although quite a walk from town, buses are easy to catch if you want to go in, but I like this area and the beach is right opposite the entrance.
I trust Trip Advisor and had hoped (at last, in the Islands) to find a good hotel to stay in each time I visit, which caters for single visitors well. The reviews seemed good, so I gave it a try.

First impressions on the outside were very goofd, but check-in was a bit offhand.I had caught the ferry from Guernsey, which docked at 7.30pm and drove straight there, only to be told that dinner finished in 5 minutes so I had to check in fast and rush.
So I ran up to find a tiny, tiny bedroom and, with no chance to change, rushed to the dining room and was then seated at a horrible table right next to the sevice area.
Being (even after years of travelling alone) a bit self conscious eating alone in a busy place, and cross about thinking it didn't matter to seat me there, I asked to be moved and was then seated about 6 inches away from a romantic couple - even though the restaurant was half empty! I apologised to the couple and seated myself at a vacant table in a nice spot.

The waiter came and showed me the set menu, but it had only an omelette as a veggie option. Helpfully, he asked if the chef had anything else and a mushroom risotto was offered. When this arrived it was just really large chunks of rubbery mushroom with rice. I couldn't actually eat it as the mushroom had been fried in a pan which had meat in it, but that's because I'm a true veggie - others may have been ok about it.
I didn't want to upset the chef or waiter, as they had made an effort, but even a veggie lasagne would be fine.

The next evening, despite paying for half board, I ate out. No one seemed to notice.

Now the room - tiny, not even room for a wardrobe, so just had hooks screwed to the wall, very dated, single bed, blankets(!), but a reasonable bathroom - although the shower head bracket had broken.
I was told that other rooms were available, but I would have to pay for an upgrade, so I stuck it out.
The sachets of shampoo etc were so dated and cheap, plus the condiments were just so basic that it was like going back to the 60's, I just had to take a picture. This is sad and a few more pence spent on the guests would make so much difference.

Outside of the room, however, the bar was lovely, parking easy, all service staff lovely, position great, I had sun and the beach is perfect.

If singles (and veggies) could just be valued as much as the groups there, it would be a really nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't go alone
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank seashellgirlDevon
Dorset uk
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Clean bright lovely Hotel, food good, staff very helpful,Great

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jackie_bilbe
suffolk
Reviewed June 11, 2011

the hotel was nicely situated across the road from a beach, there was a good bus service a short distance along the road. the hotel was comfortable and clean, the rooms were a good size and the beds and bathroom were what you wanted clean and tidy. the food was good with a varied menu each day, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and the entertainment is what you would expect. we enjoyed our stay the only faults and this would be picky, was the road outside was busy at times, and we sometimes had to wait for our meals but the staff shortage was being sorted whilst we were there. we were impressed with jersey we found it a friendly and clean island and would like to return one day.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank monkfishSuffolk
bournemouth
Reviewed May 19, 2011

We have just returned from 5 nights at the Ambassadeur Hotel in Jersey.
We thought all the staff were polite, friendly, and professional.
Our room (N3 on the 2nd floor with a lovely sea view) was very comfortable with a bathroom that appeared to be brand new. Despite being above the function room (see some earlier reviews) we heard no noise from the 2 events taking place during our stay - and we slept with the window open. We were also not disturbed by traffic.
We stayed on a half-board basis and thought the food very good. Our server was a delight and a credit to the hotel.
We took our car and appreciated the spacious car park at the rear of the hotel. From our conversations with other guests getting around by bus is very easy from this location.
We enjoyed our stay very much and hope to return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dorsetchristine
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Back at this Hotel for the second time in 6 months and it didnt let us down. OK the room we had was a wee bit tired, however it was kept spotless by maid service. Beds comfortable, food great and plenty of it.
I phoned to ask for a room on the ground floor as I now use a stick to aid walking. I was given room on first floor, near lift. It was perfect ,I even had a sea view and veranda for which I did not have to pay. This hotel goes the extra mile for its guests.
The only complaint I may make was the noise from the various functions which took place while we were there but it is a Hotel and has to take its business where it can.
All in all a great place to be!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
#6 of 32 in St. Helier
Hotel De Normandie
Hotel De Normandie
#4 of 5 in St.Saviour

Been to Ambassadeur? Share your experiences!