“Sleepy hotel”

St. Brelades Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in St. Brelade
Reviewed December 13, 2013

stayed at this hotel september 2013,lovely hotel and magnificant location right on the bay,
fall out of bed and you are in the sea!.this hotel has had a recent refurb,with no expense spared
nice rooms, lounges,furniture,bar area all tastefully done but hotel does have its faults.Dozy
dining roof staff,who forget your porridge when ordered,or tea or coffee,one was unsure what
eggs benedict was,he had to go and ask!.on the plus side an excellent breakfast buffet style
but they never served fried bread once in nine mornings,and choice of breads could be a little
more imaginative.we never had dinner in hotel we always eat out,so cannot comment on this,otherwise,rooms spotless along with,all other amenities.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tony J, Manager at St. Brelades Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear Christopher

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review of the St Brelades Bay Hotel. We appreciate the positive comments you have made and apologise if we failed to deliver the breakfast service that was expected. We always aim to maintain a consistent superior service for all our guests and we consider feedback from guests such as yourself, vitally important to enable us to maintain and improve of standards of service.

We hope that this incident does not deter you from returning to us, we would also like to take the oppurtunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for St. Brelades Bay Hotel

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I booked a one night stay on a dinner bed & breakfast basis. I then phoned the hotel again to say the booking was for my wife's 60th birthday. St Brelades Bay really pulled out the stops to make the stay so special, the suite was just magnificent, there was rose petals in the shape of a heart, flowers & chocolates, the evening meal & breakfast were lovely & the staff very friendly. We had a lovely time, thank you very much.

Room Tip: Les Minquiers is madnificent
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Trevor

Thank you for your recent review of us here at the St Brelades Bay Hotel, we are very happy to receive your comments and we are very please to hear that your wife enjoyed her birthday treat.

We would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the team at the Bay and hope to welcome you back in the new year.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I first stayed in the hotel in 1959 at the age of six and then returned annually with my parents 1961 to 1974. My last visit was in 1988. My wife bought me a surprise holiday to celebrate my 60th Birthday in September 2013, and to say that we thoroughly enjoyed our five night stay would be an understatement - of course there have been changes - but for me nothing can equate to the sense of delight in walking into the Dining room to take up our table to find that Leo, the "Maitre D", was STILL in charge!

So many happy memories of my childhood holidays with my parents .... and the many family friends we knew and met through our holidays at the Hotel. I was taught to swim and dive in the "old" pool by the resident Australian Lifeguards. Our Summer holidays always coincided with my exam results - so scanning the post boxes/roomkey holders in reception became a daily event!

Yes the hotel has passed into new ownership but for me this has not had a detrimental effect on the hotel I knew and loved retaining its atmosphere and welcome. In the "old" days, we stayed on full board ... this time on Half Board and found the Dinner very good value for money and a plentiful choice such that in five days we never ate the same Starter, Main or Dessert.

Many years ago I recall Leo organising a Jersey Crab for my 18th Birthday - now Jersey Lobster is on the menu at no extra cost!

By an amazing co-incidence, and with no prior knowledge by the office staff, we were even allocated the same seaview balcony room used by my parents each year - I can only extend my thanks to them and all the hotel staff, for making the special holiday so enjoyable.

I suppose it did not come as any surprise to find the same Pianist playing in the Dining Room during Dinner - after all those years - but then St.Brelades Bay Hotel is no ordinary hotel - and given that its many regulars, whom we had the pleasure to meet, keep returning - this only confirms my opinion that it is one of Jersey's treasures, and long may it continue!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Robin

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review of the St Brelades Bay Hotel. It is always a pleasure to hear comments from regular guests who have been visiting the hotel for many years. It is great to hear that you still enjoy the hotel and that it brings back many good memory's for you. At exam results time of year we still get many families awaiting the post mans arrival in the morning. Which is always one of the highlights of the year to see happy parents and families in reception jumping out of their seats as the Jersey Post van pulls up to the front door.

We would like to take the oppurtunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Leo, Dougie the Pianist and the rest of the bay team

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed overnight for a function and had an enjoyable time. The public rooms are very nice and the staff were, without exception, helpful and friendly. The lighting in the main dining room and the function suite needs to be looked at by the management as it is bright, stark and somewhat lacking in atmosphere. This could easily be resolved and would enhance the restaurants considerably with the use of candles and dimmed chandeliers. The food for a function of seventy people was first class and the Beef Wellington was tender and delicious.
My main disappointment was with the room. Admittedly we had a reduced overnight rate due to the function and we opted for a sea view room. This was on the first floor, room 14. The room was pleasantly furnished with a spacious bathroom but was small, such that we kept tripping over ourselves! There was also a dangerous step from the bedroom into the bathroom which, in the middle of the night, particularly after a few drinks, could prove extremely problematic. My main concern however was with exterior noise to the room. This came from the corridors and, significantly, the room above where the floor boards creaked constantly. Friends in another room along the same corridor complained of the same problem. For one night the room was acceptable but if I was allocated that room for a week, I would have requested a change of room or moved hotels. In fairness, when going to breakfast the next morning, we passed rooms with open doors being cleaned and they looked delightful and far more spacious than ours.The message is to book the best category room you can, or request a room on as high a floor as possible. The sea views were very nice but the door to the almost communal balcony was small and obstructed the view - the L'Horizon wins hands down if it is a view of St. Brelade's Bay you are after.
Breakfast the next morning was fine, standard buffet but with a good selection. The fruits were good, the hot food, with the exception of the sausages, not so good but very acceptable.
I left with the feeling that the hotel was very pleasant if you get the right room, has very nice public areas and overall, serves good food. The fitness suite that we didn't use looked to be good.
If I was staying for a week's holiday I would be particularly choosy about the room I booked or was allocated, but for an overnight stay it fitted the purpose, despite the drawbacks I have mentioned above.

Room Tip: Book the largest room you can afford and go for a high floor with a sea view. Avoid rooms along the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bob1949
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We booked the hotel in November for only one night, as we were visiting relations for a surprise party the next day. I was so impressed by the decor and grand feel,yet delighted by the warm reception of the staff. They knew we were only there for one night and yet could not have been more attentive. The room was one of their standard ones, with no view to rave about,but that was my choice. The room and bathroom were beautifully presented and we have often paid twice the price for a lot less. The food was excellent off the set menu,not to mention breakfast.The only down side we had only one night there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Spent time at this hotel in the summer when i was at a wedding there. The hotel was absolutely gorgeous and right across the road from the beach, so very easily accessible.
The hotel had a very grand and elegant feel about it but also felt very welcoming and warm... a lovely mix!
The food served was delicious and the staff were quick to help and provide a solution to the few minor issues that crept up.
I would definently reccomend a stay here and would also recommend it for weddings - they hotel did a great job at putting on a lovely and perfect day.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Beezer83
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed here in April 2013. Rooms and communal areas are beautifully decorated and facilities are what you would expect. The views are stunning and the location is excellent. The food in the restaurant was very average however and there are much better places to eat in Jersey. Didn't use the fitness facilities so can't comment on these.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in St.Saviour
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#6 of 32 in St. Helier

Been to St. Brelades Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!