WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“If I had to choose only one hotel to stay in from now on, this would be it” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Atlantic Hotel

The Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in St. Brelade
UK
“If I had to choose only one hotel to stay in from now on, this would be it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2009

I've stayed at the Atlantic several times before, both before and after its renovation and it has continued to get better and better over the years.
I think the huge number of 5* reviews say it all.
Since the restaurant revamp and with the present chef, the food is some of the best I've experienced in my travels in many top hotels and restaurants around the world. I notice the only poor review this hotel has ever received related to the food ... all I can say is that anyone who resorts to takeaways when staying here must have been raised on an exclusive diet of Macdonalds! The food is fantastic, imaginative, of high quality and makes excellent use of local produce and specialities. The taste of Jersey menu, available during certain weeks of the year as part of the Island food festival is a treat not to be missed.
The rooms are beautiful, immaculate and well designed and yet retain enough homely touches to avoid that "airport chain, business hotel" feel.
The swimming pools, both indoor and outdoor are beautiful and much better sized than all but the most "spa orientated" hotels tend to offer. The gardens and sea view rooms have lovely views, and even those overlooking the golf course are lovely.
Staff are very professional, attentive and yet friendly, avoiding that so common stuffy attitude of some top hotels.
One final point, the hotel is brilliant at ensuring that any special events being held at the hotel, weddings, conferences etc do not affect the other hotel guests. Service and facilities never suffer and hotel guests are hardly aware if an event is taking place.

• Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2009

Stayed here for two nights for business meetings and have to say it was one of the best hotels I have experienced in Jersey. Nothing was too much trouble, the staff were excellent, the General Manager was superb and the food in the restaurant second to none.

The location over looking St Ouens Bay is idyllic and if you like golf then you are right on the La Moye course. Indoor and outdoor swimming pools as well.

Business facilities were good with all of our needs and requests catered for.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Harpenden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

I have wonderful memories of this hotel, it was beautiful, set in an idyllic location. I can't put into words how brilliant the staff were. They were their for your every need and always smiling. The food was beyond belief, it was
delicious and served up from people with excellent manners in an atmosphere that was so relaxing. The accommodation was also excellent.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RosieHarpenden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

Our first trip to Jersey couldn't have been better planned with all of our four days being filled with sunshine.
We couldn't have felt happier when we were shown to our light and airy sea view room, a generous upgrade on behalf of the hotel. Our room, in fact the hotel itself, was slightly redolent of 1930's style but with modern day comforts.
We felt very much "beside the sea" as one would expect staying at a hotel called the Atlantic but not necessarily in March. The ceiling to floor windows meant you could sit and look at the sea out of the chill of the wind and I was particularly grateful for the the chaise longue and made good use of it looking out across St Ouens Bay,
We were very comfortable with everything well thought out. There was ample storage, good lighting a discreetly hidden away hospitality tray, a bowl of fruit, bottled water, and we particularly liked the calm shades of blues and beiges in the colour scheme.
The granite bathroom was first class with excellent lighting, a top class shower and the so important fresh fluffy towels and bath sheets. Amenities by Molton Brown were generously replaced and restocked twice a day when the room was very well serviced.

Breakfast was good seved in the lovely dining room.
Public rooms are a joy with much emphasis placed on wood, stone and contrasting textures. Every corner had somewhere calm and interesting to sit and there is much carefully chosen art and many objet d'arts to look at.
We loved the location, peaceful but not isolated and close to the charming resort of St Brelade.
Staff were very well trained, hospitable and generous with their time. Just one member of staff''s manner grated slightly after dining on the second evening.
Dinner was very good although I am not a "foodie" so I won''t say more than that but all around everyone seemed very happy during all three nights.
The restaurant is Michelin starred so let that speak for itself.

We recommend "The Atlantic" to anyone who needs a relaxing break. Our package was extremely good value for money and Jersey is a an interesting destination with a marvellous coastline.
This 4* hotel provided us with service and attention to detail that exceeeded our expectations and I am the first to admit my expectations are always high as I carefully research every accommodation we are going to stay in for time is precious.
Congratulations !

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Contessa
cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2009

The staff at The Atlantic make it what it is. The ambiance in the hotel is efficient and friendly rather than obsequious and stuffy which many hotels of this calibre have.
The restaurant is truely world class with impeccable service, wonderful food (with one expection see at the end of this review )The sommelier is superb. I never found out his name but he was wonderful at recommending wines and taking a genuine interest in your tastes.
I booked our four night stay, starting on New Years Eve, for a present for my husband and we did have a lovely, relaxing and romantic time. I do feel however that there are parts of the hotel where there is room for improvement and this mainly relates to the accomodation.
I booked The Atlantic Suite, which is their best room. It is a large two roomed suite with a large bathroom, cloakroom and a small kitchen with a sink, kettle and fridge off the drawing room .
The suite is furnished well, if a little old fashioned but comfortable . However there are things that I feel let it down and I will list these in the hope that they are noted by the management,
On first entering the room I noticed a large splodge of bird dropping on the outside of the patio doors leading from the bedroom. I certainly didn't look fresh and my immediate thought was as this was a ground floor room it should have been cleaned prior to our arrival. It remained like that throughout our stay.
The room was cleaned and serviced well but when the maid came in in the evening for the turn-down service she would only attend to the bedroom and bathroom. I do think as we were in a suite the cushions in the drawing room should have been "puffed up" and the tea cups just rinsed out that we had left on the coffee table and put back in the kitchen. This was never done and when we have stayed in suites in other hotels, the turn-down service includes tidying the whole suite and not just turning down the beds. I am not saying I expected a spring clean but these small things should have been attended to in the whole suite.
The bathroom is large but badly designed. The walk in shower cubicle is very small and right by the door. The shower has only a fixed head which is very old fashioned and useless for a small woman. Most deluxe hotels have overhead rainshowers and a separate shower on a sliding hand rail which is far more practical if you want to shower but not get your hair wet.
The bath was quite small too but it was designed to fit in an alcove. I didn't mind this but it too had no hand shower. In fact it had been removed because there was a part under the mixer tap where a shower had been once and if you moved a lever the water poured out of this hole instead of the taps. I would hope it is replaced as I hate baths without shower attachments.
There was a minibar in the bedroom and the fridge in the kitchen had soft drinks in it but only UHT small milk sachets. Again I would expect a small carton of fresh milk if they provide a fridge. The icebox in the freezer compartment was completey frosted up, again I thought this neglectful and gave the impressiion the suite was rarely used.
Tea and coffee were in sachets too, again a hotel of this calibre should provide a cafetier or perculator with fresh coffee in the room.
The only fruit in the fruitbowl were four celementines and not very fresh ones, again considering this was the best room in the best hotel in Jersey you would have expected some special finishing touches, such as qualtiy fresh fruit and some biscuits in a cookie jar. No chocolates on the pillows at night, which I wasn't that bothered about really but again I felt the room completely lacked personal touches you normally get in deluxe hotels, even in standard rooms.
There was a televison both of the rooms but againthey were the old fashioned type, not flat screen which was not a problem but I do think the drawing room should have had a dvd player, and a CD player. If you look at other hotels on Jersey several have upgraded the tv's in the room to flat screen with dvd players.

The leisure club is small and basic, I do think they would benefit from making it into more of a small spa with beauty treatments or just massages. It was open from 8-12 on New Years day which I thought a bit of a silly time considering the late night. I would have thought 9-1 or 10-2 would have been better.

Breakfasts were lovely, a good selection of fresh fruit and yogart, porridge etc and then you can have a fully cooked Jersey breakfast.. I found it hard to understand why smoked salmon and scrambled eggs had a £10 supplement when it takes far less time to prepare than the full Jersey. I did have smoked salmon as a starter on one night and it was good but not spectacular so why the £10 supplement at breakfast?

The only complaint we had with the restaurant was when we ordered cheese and biscuits. What arrived was two small oatcakes and a breadroll sliced into four. I don't eat bread and asked for some more biscuits but was told there were no more.
The next night we both ordered cheese and biscuits and said we didn't want bread but just biscuits. Four small oatcakes arrived between two of us, we asked for more and were again told there were no more. I really think a top class restaurant like this in a five star hotel should not be slicing bread rolls to serve with cheese and really should provide special biscuits to have with cheese which are not limited to two per person.

Despite the above, I stand by what I said at the start of this review. The Atlantic is a lovely hotel, the staff are really special and the dining experience, if you don't order cheese, is "world class". Last year we stayed at The Bath Priory and the food was just not in the same league as The Atlantic.
Overall this was a lovely romantic break, I will return to The Atlantic and would recommend it anyone visiting Jersey. However it does lack the "special touches" that you do get in other five star hotels and therefore I would be tempted to try Longville Manor or one of the other luxury hotels on the island, before returning to The Atlantic.

• Liked — The excellent service in the restaurant and the wonderful food
  • Disliked — Lack of special touches and attention to detail in our suite, plus the lack of biscuitts with cheese
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank slj60
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2008

We went there with our family to celebrate a birthday - having been before. As usual the standard was excellent. The staff couldn't do enough for us (there were 7 of us in total including 2 children (15 and 10). The hotel is in a secluded spot with breathtaking views of the sea and lovely bay below. The restaurant was as usual excellent and everyone enjoyed the fresh food and choice. We would have liked to have had the specially prepared local dishes on the sat eve but the whole table had to have it and with 7 people incl 2 children this was too restrictive. I don't think there is a better hotel on the island!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank TMS666
ENGLISHMAN ABROAD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

We had holidayed in Jersey many times when our sons were young children so my wife and I took a week to re-visit old haunts.

Enjoyed a wonderful week of comfort, relaxation and attentive service at the Atlantic situated in pleasant grounds next to La Moya Golf Club and overlooking St. Ouens bay. The hotel is light, bright and airey but not too big to be impersonal with outside and indoor pools and a small gym.

All staff were friendly, helpful and efficient and made a point of greeting you whenever they met you. Our room had a sea view, overlooking the poolside terrace and was spacious, clean and well maintained. Each room has a small balcony where you can stand but not sit. The rooms overlooking the golf course are of the same standard and possibly a better option only because if there is a function on the poolside terrace the noise and chatter rises to your room.

We arrived on a Saturday and had not booked dinner to find the hotel restaurant was fully booked. (Popular with non residents).
Without a car until the next day the staff therefore served us a lovely meal in a private recess of the library where we received every possible courtesy from the most attentive waiters.

The same staff (a mix of Frenchman and Italians) served us breakfast each day in the very pleasant restaurant and the same high standard of service and courtesy was maintained throughout. We dined out in the evenings but the popularity of the restaurant testified to the quality of the food and service.
The breakfast buffet was substantial and varied (this is an important meal for us as we only take a snack at lunchtime) and the "cook to order" service was excellent.

One of the girls in the Island Tourist Information Centre told us the Atlantic was one of their top hotels and we would agree.

Highly recommended and we would stay there again.

• Liked — Great room, excellent service and location, friendly efficient staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
#5 of 16 in St. Brelade
Somerville Hotel
Somerville Hotel
#2 of 4 in St. Aubin

Been to The Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!