I got a great deal to stay at L'Horizon and wasn't disappointed. The bus stop right outside and easy access to walks made the trip possible without having to spend a fortune. There are a few very affordable restaurants within a 5min walk away too.
The room was fantastic, especially given the price I paid (about £50/night for 4 nights - off season special through Expedia). Breakfast was good, even for a vegetarian like me. There were passable veggie sausages even!
And then, I checked out... And found I was going to be charged for three newspapers. (Proof: http://imgur.com/peJ65bz)
When I'd checked in, I was asked: "would you like a paper in the morning?" I was delighted to get a paper and said yes, asking for an FT. I love hotels that leave a paper for you in the morning. It was a great start.
Back to checking out, I explained that I hadn't expected to be charged as nothing was said about that at check in and the woman at the front desk offered to query this with her manager. I also offered to give all the papers back, which is of course ridiculous, but so is being charged without warning in a high end hotel.
She came back saying that the manager said they have to charge me for them. "No way, really?" I asked. "I'm sorry, maybe if it was some other time, but with the fire alarm and everything..." They had just had a mandatory fire alarm test but I don't think that should play a role in whether or not you get charged for something that you hadn't been told will cost you.
In summary, this is a very nice hotel. There are some great off season deals. You don't need a car to stay here. But be warned, there are at least some charges (hopefully just this one!) that they don't tell you about before you've incurred them and they'll hold you to it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1850 by George Hicks, a colonel in the Bengal Army, the building has an almost Mediterranean feel yet the hotel itself is unmistakably British. The interior is calm and elegant, full of space and light, while the outside impresses with its beautiful terrace and the view over golden sand and crystal clear waters. We believe in taking things easy here, with a strong focus on leisure: something we like to think we are good at! One of the highlights of the four star L'Horizon Beach Hotel is the new spa, which includes six treatment rooms, a relaxation area, pedicure and manicure area and sleep room. With 106 bedrooms and three restaurants, the hotel offers the ideal setting for an intimate break, a romantic wedding and (as it is just 10 minutes from Jersey airport) an inspiring meeting venue. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- l`Horizon Hotel And Spa
- Horizon Hotel Jersey l
- l Horizon Hotel St Brelade
- Lhorizon Hotel Jersey
- L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa Jersey/St. Brelade