“Great hotel, but they charge for newspapers with no warning”

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St. Brelade
“Great hotel, but they charge for newspapers with no warning”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I got a great deal to stay at L'Horizon and wasn't disappointed. The bus stop right outside and easy access to walks made the trip possible without having to spend a fortune. There are a few very affordable restaurants within a 5min walk away too.

The room was fantastic, especially given the price I paid (about £50/night for 4 nights - off season special through Expedia). Breakfast was good, even for a vegetarian like me. There were passable veggie sausages even!

And then, I checked out... And found I was going to be charged for three newspapers. (Proof: http://imgur.com/peJ65bz)

When I'd checked in, I was asked: "would you like a paper in the morning?" I was delighted to get a paper and said yes, asking for an FT. I love hotels that leave a paper for you in the morning. It was a great start.

Back to checking out, I explained that I hadn't expected to be charged as nothing was said about that at check in and the woman at the front desk offered to query this with her manager. I also offered to give all the papers back, which is of course ridiculous, but so is being charged without warning in a high end hotel.

She came back saying that the manager said they have to charge me for them. "No way, really?" I asked. "I'm sorry, maybe if it was some other time, but with the fire alarm and everything..." They had just had a mandatory fire alarm test but I don't think that should play a role in whether or not you get charged for something that you hadn't been told will cost you.

In summary, this is a very nice hotel. There are some great off season deals. You don't need a car to stay here. But be warned, there are at least some charges (hopefully just this one!) that they don't tell you about before you've incurred them and they'll hold you to it!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank LSPollack
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hi

Thank you for the review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I am apologise that there was a slight issue that otherwise would have ruined an enjoyable break.

I am sorry that you feel the charges for the papers were misleading, offering a newspaper on check in is part of the service that we offer. I have experienced hotels that offer a complimentary newspaper, but they do normally state “would you like a complimentary newspaper”. We do ask guests if they would like a drink without stating that we will charge for that drink. I hope my answer doesn’t sound in any way patronising but I would not like to state that I would review a policy if I was not intending to.

I hope that this will not deter you from using the hotel in the future and hope that you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed for Friday and Saturday night during February 2014. The hotel had a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere and was very clean . The staff provided an excellent service and the facilities were up to date and in great condition. The view over St Brelades Bay is brilliant, especially from the jacuzzi in the spa and our room. Some signs of age but overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view and balcony, it's worth it!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hi

Thank you for the review of L’Horizon.

I am delighted that you enjoyed stay and that you found the staff to provide excellent service.

We are always refurbishing the hotel but I am sorry if you spotted a few areas that we have missed. I shall look harder.

We hope that you have the opportunity to return soon.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hotel is showing some signs of age,but overall it is a great place to stay,you have great views across the beach and the facilities are all that you could wish for on a break. we went during the recent bad weather 4th to 7th of February 2014,and the room in which we were in first had new double glazed windows,however one of the windows was not fitted well and the wind was howling through with quite some noise,on speaking to the staff,we were allocated another room,and apologies were given.
The staff were very friendly and would always say hello,the service in the bar and at breakfast time, was always speedy and with a smile,the food whether from room service or in the breakfast room was of an excellent standard and hot.
The beds are very comfy and the duvets although thin very very warm,
All in all the hotel has a lot to offer and we will go back without hesitation,and is a good base location for either a business or pleasure trip

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms have better tv reception
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Nothing short of excellent can describe our recent visit to L'Horizon Hotel and Spa in Jersey. Such a wonderful location with amazing views of St. Brelade's Bay, beach and Atlantic from our balcony. Only a short taxi drive from the airport and 20 min bus ride into St. Helier. The bus stop is outside the hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful without being intrusive. We enjoyed treatments in the Spa (the frangipani wrap was dreamy) as well as regular workouts in the gym and the salt water pool. If you want treatments book them early as when the hotel gets busy you may not get the treatment slot times you want. I used the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and they were clean. We paid for half-board which included breakfast and evening meal. The breakfast choices included continental selections, cooked options (the vegetarian breakfast was lovely). Lots of food!! We had afternoon tea with Champagne served in the Atlantic room which was great. Evening meals were served in the Grill and Crystal rooms. If you wish to eat in the hotel please make sure you book early. Food choices were varied and as we had chosen half-board we could choose between The Table D'Hote or A La Carte menus. We chose Table D'Hote each evening and were not disappointed. All-in-all: yummy food and great service from the staff. We had pre-dinner drinks in the lounge and were disappointed that the pianist was not present during our stay. My sister and I were celebrating her 60th birthday and the complimentary bottle of wine and card from the hotel manager were a lovely touch and greatly appreciated (thank you). There was a turn down service offered each night and a complimentary newsletter featuring events in the hotel or locally (great idea). I would recommend this hotel. I should mention that due to the recent floods? one part of the hotel did smell damp. There were apology notices and remedial work was planned. We cannot wait until we get the chance to go back. The only negative was the weather (lots of rain and high winds) but as this is not controlled by the hotel, we forgive you!!

Room Tip: We requested the ocean view rooms on second or third floor. The first floor ones have a high wall w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2014

From the second we arrived until we left we were very well looked after in L'Horizon Hotel & Spa, Jersey. I stayed there with my fiance Hannah and we both said we couldn't have picked a better hotel in Jersey. The view from our balcony across St Brelade's Bay is one of the best balcony views you will see in the British Isles, the tide when it's in is only meters away making the view even more incredible.

The breakfast, afternoon tea and evening meal in the hotel were all presented very nicely and the options were varied. Breakfast included a large continental selection and a freshly cooked individual breakfast which would feed a small army! The evening meal was also very well presented with a nice wine selection to go with it.

The spa which my fiance experienced was excellent, the massage I'm told was one of the best she's ever had. I had a dip in the salt water pool and tried the sauna & steam room which were very clean and well maintained.

The bar staff and reception were always on hand and polite, as were the room staff offering a turn down service etc.

We are already planning a return journey in the summer, and I don't usually say that about many places!

Room Tip: Deluxe Sea view is a must, the views are fantastic.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leewhitehouse81
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

Visited for a wedding this weekend and decided to stay the whole weekend.
Lovely staff on arrival, amazing bed and clean room.

We dined in the restaurant on the Friday which was enjoyable and I especially enjoyed the lounge pianist.
The wedding was well organised and breakfast was lovely with lots of choice.
The only reason I have marked this review down from five star is due to the bar service. We found it to be quite slow from sitting down to eventually getting our drinks and also when ordering the same drink we got charged three different amounts. We had to raise this issue with a Manager.
I would consider this hotel again when revisiting Jersey.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SpinningJen
Dear Spinning Jenny

Thank you for the review of L’Horizon. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us but disappointed that the bar service let us down. I it is great that you had the opportunity to raise this issue with one of our managers. We really appreciate it when people discuss any problems with us face to face but it shouldn’t have been a problem in the first place.

I am glad that the wedding went well and that you enjoyed the break. We hope that you have the opportunity to come back and visit us soon.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Despite mid winter this hotel has it all. The right location on the south island beach with uninterrupted views over the Atlantic. Large dining and bar facilities. The indoor salt water pool is warm and quiet. 10 minutes from the airport and from St Helier with no traffic noise. Very good staff service in the restaurant and reception.

Room Tip: first floor balcony south facing
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Clive B
Dear Clive

Thank you for the review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the positive comments. We hope that you have the opportunity to come back soon and relax.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Brelade
#1 of 32 in St. Helier
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#5 of 32 in St. Helier

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!