“Absolutely wonderful”

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in St. Brelade
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Yet another amazing hotel from the Handpicked chain. The staff at L'Horizon cannot do enough for you and the view from an Ocean View room is the best view we've ever had, worldwide. St Brelades Bay is said to be the best in Europe and we'd have to agree. Comfortable, classy and such a relaxing place. The food is fantastic. We went with a 6 year old and a 1 year old baby. We were made to feel incredible welcome and the children had an absolute ball. Really loved it. Would recommend all elements. A 4 star rating is incorrect though - it should be graded as a 5 star. We also stayed a couple of nights at The Grand in St Helier which is meant to be a 5 and should be a 3 at the most. Jersey really does need to update and re-evaluate it's hotel ratings and reviews. L'Horizon undoubtedly the best place to stay on the island, for both hotel and location. Well done Handpicked. You do it every time. A really cut above.

Room Tip: Go for Ocean View if possible but all room designs and space good.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Fiona L
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Hi Fiona,

Thank you for the review on Tripadvisor.

High praise indeed as “best view you have ever had worldwide”. I couldn’t agree more with your comments about the bay, it is a very special place. I am pleased that the children enjoyed the experience as well.

We hope that you are able to come back soon.

I am sorry that you had some bad experiences elsewhere, I can only presume that they were having a bad day.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights over the weekend with my girlfriend. The hotel made us very welcome on arrival and the room was very nice (highly recommend a sea view room as the view is spectacular in a morning, also upgrade to deluxe for a better balcony). We had dinner on the first night which was part of the deal. The food was lovely and the service was excellent, however even though our deal included a bottle of rose we did not have this and when we asked they brought over a bottle of wine which was then charged for.
Apart from that small mishap the hotel is very nice and I would definatley recommend a stay here (just make sure if you are planning to arrange one of the deals, make sure you get what you pay for)

I would also like to comment that our bedsheets were not changed throughout our stay, the bed was just re-made - we found this quite unhygienic

Room Tip: get a sea view room!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie084
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Jamie

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy one of the deluxe rooms with a sea view.

I have read your comment about the wine, if this is something that you would like to discuss with me further then please do get in touch. I also noted your comment about the bed linen, we do change the bed linen every other day for any guests that are staying multiple nights, therefore if you had stayed another night then it would have been changed.

Thank you for the positive comments about the food and the service.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to L’Horizon soon.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

First time on Jersey and thoroughly enjoyed our five night stay at this hotel. You really need a sea view to fully appreciate the hotel at best. Waking up to the views and having a drink on the balcony in the evening were the highlight of our stay.
Great staff , very friendly and attentive. We had a couple of meals on the terrace which were fine and reasonable value. breakfast a pleasant experience with good menu choices as well as buffet.
If I had to be critical I would say the bar area lacked a little atmosphere at night .
Overall really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and St Brelade resort. We started out with the intention of hiring a car to discover the island but ended up just chillin in the resort.

Room Tip: Well worth getting a sea view at this one
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank francorob

Hi

Thank you for the review I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, Thank you for your positive comments about the team in the hotel and the food. I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of the sea view.

We hope that you have the opportunity to come back soon.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was our second visit and it was nice to get a hand-written "welcome back" from the manager on arrival. Thankfully the Atlantic Restaurant is a big improvement on the old Crystal Room, now no longer used for dinner. Food and service were consistently excellent. We found the hotel staff to be very friendly & helpful, especially in reception & lounge - our free glass of champagne & canapés helped! We needed an adapted room this time, and we were delighted with the impressive wet room and large terrace facing the beach. L'Horizon is a top quality, family friendly hotel for those with more old-fashioned values who don't mind paying just a little extra for the nice things in life. PS St Brelade's bay is officially my favourite place in the UK. PPS if you need to borrow a (free) wheelchair designed for the beach look up Beachability.org online... courtesy of Sharon.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Finemessagain

Hi

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay also the food and service from the tam. I am glad that you enjoyed the changes that we have made to our restaurant offering.

I am sure you are not alone in rating St Brelade’s Bay being your favourite place in the UK.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We made a very last minute booking to stay at L'Horizon for New Years and when I say last minute I mean literally hours before flying! Having dined there twice on previous visits to Jersey it was a pleasure to actually get a room there.

We have tried a few times at school half terms and they have been booked up solid way in advance and being the impulsive, spontaneous types that my family are, we have always missed out as a result. But not THAT time!!! The staff were exceptionally friendly and welcoming, the rooms comfortable and fresh and the New Years Day buffet was spectacular. All in all I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. The location right on the beach is second to none - ideal for families.

If you fancy somewhere relaxing and quiet for Christmas (yes it'll be upon us in no time!) then I would give this hotel a resounding thumbs up. They also do a superb black tie dinner dance on New Year's Eve too, well worth going to. Like I said in the title though - book early!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I returned last night with 3 friends following a two night break at L'Horizon to celebrate a 50th birthday. I was a bit apprehensive as I have previously stayed in St Helier at another popular hotel on TA. I need not have worried.

Our room was not quite ready at 2:00pm but no worries...we were given 4 drinks vouchers to enjoy a break in the sun whilst we waited. We had upgraded to ocean views and what a view!

Rooms were clean. Staff more than helpful and I have to say the food (we did half board special) was wonderful. I cannot understand some of the previous comments about the quality of the food and unhelpful staff unless the Hotel as either learned from mistakes or there were some blips.

Ok, it could be said - if I was being really picky - there was some tiredness in parts but to be honest, I think this, along with the location right on the beach, makes it an ideal place for families with young children who do not have to worry too much about a bit of sand on the carpets. No stuffiness but just a truly wonderful hotel that is ideal for old and young (and those of us a bit in between!)

I want to return very soon and bring my husband and family along to see exactly what I am raving about the day after a wonderful weekend in the sun.

Room Tip: Up grade to ocean view and if within budget, go for a half board deal to try the wonderful food.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hi Debs

Thank you for the review, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your birthday. I was happy to read that you were not disappointed after your change from a St Helier hotel, there are lots of nice hotels in St Helier but why come to Jersey if you aren’t on the beach.

Thank you for the kind comments about the food. We take any of the comments very seriously, and if we can identify the issue and fix it we do. Although there is never a time in a hotel to rest on your laurels as things change quickly.

We are always refurbishing the hotel in different areas and there some replacements and refurbishments planned for the winter. So hopefully they will address any areas that you are referring to.

Thank you for your remarks about the different age groups and the lack of stuffiness. Whilst we don’t try to appeal to anyone I am pleased that you feel that we have got the balance right.

I hope that you can arrange that return visit that you have planned soon.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have just returned from Jersey during which stay we visited L'Horizon. We decided to have a drink and something to eat at the Terrace. However when we entered where it said "wait to be seated", next to the bar we had to wait whilst one member of staff engaged two others in conversation. We waited for some time, we were in full view all the time. Eventually we asked one if we could be seated. She pointed at the tables and said " you can sit up there somewhere" and then walked off. We took a table and waited 20 minutes until a member of staff asked us if anyone was attending us. We were then given a menu and again left for a long time. At this point we gave up and left. All in all we were treated as if we were a nuisance to the staff. This is not what we expected. On another occasion we tried to have a drink on the Terrace as we thought that our bad experience might have been a one-off. Sadly we were again subject to off-hand treatment from the staff and again gave up and left. This is in total contrast to the staff in the cocktail bar in the evening. They are very friendly and helpful. They also make very good cocktails. Its a pity the customer service throughout the hotel is not consistent.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angela s

Hi Angela

Thank you for the review, I am sorry that your visits were not in anyway enjoyable. It is extremely disappointing that you have had this bad experience.

We shall be discussing the points that you have raised with the managers concerned with that area.

It would help if you were able to provide me with more information regarding this, and if you could give me a call to discuss it further. I would be grateful for your assistance. This would also allow me the opportunity to correct what has gone wrong.

Once again I apologise that you received this poor service and I look forward to speaking to you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Brelade
#1 of 5 in St.Saviour
Golden Sands Hotel
Golden Sands Hotel
#11 of 16 in St. Brelade

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!