“Superb location, friendly helpful staff”

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St. Brelade
Durham, Uk
“Superb location, friendly helpful staff”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Visited again in August via secret escapes as could not believe what a good deal was on offer and we were not disappointed. It was quieter than in previous years around the hotel, despite being full and this was also backed by a quieter beach, even though the weather was lovely. Seems the economy problems have also hit Jersey tourism too. The bar was exceptionally quiet, when in previous years we have enjoyed the buzz but by 10pm it was deserted. We soon found out why! The Oyster Box seems to have taken most of the St Brelades dining trade!
The room was spotless, towels changed twice daily and the view stunning. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Opt for a sea view room it's a must!
1 Thank Rachel1903
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hi Rachel

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found the team to be friendly and helpful.

I am not exactly sure when you stayed with us that the hotel has been busier for nearly every month this year. The bar can often be quiet at 10 due to the demographics of our guests, we often have large families staying and this can mean early nights.

Thank you again for the review and we hope you have the chance to come back soon.

Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

First time in jersey and we picked l'horizon as it was a "hand picked hotel" a group where we have visited virtually all their hotels and even had our wedding at Wood hall spa.

How does it compare - location is fantastic but in truth the hotel itself lacks the general quality we have come to expect from hph group.

Our room "a classic double" had a view of the car park - which we were aware of, what we hadn't realised is that these rooms were incredibly warm and stuffy. Even on evenings in the low twenties. We requested a room with air conditioning - this could only be done if we changed rooms 3 times during the stay. We demurred, on the second night we were provided with a portable air circulation unit, apart from making a noise like an asmathic air conditioner and keeping us awake it had little if any cooling affect. We were 3 couples and we all had similar experiences.

Have to say the cleaning staff were some of the best I have ever come across, in early room spotless, polite helpful, follow up visit exemplary.

Gym and spa were small but perfectly formed our partners had treatments and were delighted with them and not particularly expensive.

We ate four times at the hotel, read a few reviews on here and wasn't quite sure what some of the reviews were talking about, in the formal restaurant wine was pretty similar to a comparable restaurant in the uk. They actually had cloudy bay Chardonnay at £42 a bottle. One positive was some of our party wanted lobster which wasnt on the menu but the staff cooked some.

My only real criticism of the grill was the rare breed pig - not the taste of it - as a former farmer I am actually very interested im the provenance of the food I eat. I asked the maitre d what kind of pig it was and where it came from, he didn't know. He went to ask the chef and 12 minutes later reappeared to say it was " A Sunday pig from the island" never heard of the breed and if am being honest not convinced that there is such a breed, even if there is shouldn't your head waiter know straight away?

Reception staff were generally very good and approachable.

We did have one slight criticism of the hotel procedures - on our first night we ate in the restaurant and the waiter very kindly accompanied us to the front door, we went for a five minute walk leaving one of our group sat behind, on our return found that all of the entrances overlooking the sea had been locked. This was about Eleven fifteen in the evening, we tried all the doors and eventually managed to attract a passing wedding guest who let us in. We went to reception and they actually thought it was funny that we had been locked out ! As one of our party had a suspected broken ankle (nothing to do with our stay) we really think that a clearly marked ingress should be either left open or with a buzzer.

To summarise our experiences - a good hotel, some excellent staff, great location, good pricing let down by a few areas - the one thing that would put me off staying again in the summer would be the classic room stuffiness.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with air con
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Hi

Thank you for the review.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at L’Horizon.

The location is superb and L’Horizon’s interior reflects that, the muted colours has been carefully chosen to give a sophisticated, calming and relaxing atmosphere to the hotel and to contrast with the dramatic views across the bay from most of the public rooms. That last statement was from our asset director. Many of the other Hand Picked hotels are gorgeous country houses.

I am not exactly sure of when you stayed but we have had some extremely hot weather. Our rooms even the ones without air conditioning do normally provide a comfortable nights sleep. I am sorry if they were a little too warm on this occasion.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team and especially housekeeping as I have said before they are the unsung heroes of the hotel.

Now to the pigs, I am sorry that the information was incorrect and our Restaurant Manager that night did ask the chef however the information was not relayed correctly. The pork was from an Oxford Sandy and Black breed of pigs. That has highlighted some product knowledge training needs that we will be addressing.

Regarding the doors being closed, I know this can be frustrating it has happened to me and it is a bit of a walk round to the front of the hotel. I am looking into your suggestion of a door bell to used late at night. I should have thought of that myself.

Thank you once again for the review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to L’Horizon soon.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have been staying at the L'Horizon for about 10 years. As soon as we step off the plane, we feel we are "home". The staff are very welcoming and always try to accommodate us as we usually arrive around breakfast. Otherwise, the porters look after our luggage whilst we pop into St Helier for lunch. You can't beat the view at the hotel and the spa is great. Martin Kelly and his team are always on hand to assist with any requests or problems. The venue is great for weddings also.

Room Tip: Best to avoid rooms directly over the function room when weddings/parties are booked as people do st...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hi

Thank you for the review, it was great to see you again this year, I thought L'Horizon was your first choice and Caribbean second.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, thank you for the positive comments.

We hope to see you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel for several short breaks over the last few years, taking my children and parents. The hotel suits all ages. The highlight of the hotel is its location right at the heart of the beach- when my children were younger we would spend most of the day rock climbing and playing on the beach. Now they are nearly teenagers, they enjoy the water sports and tennis. My parents enjoying relaxing at the hotel and walking on the beach. The breakfast is the highlight of the day at the hotel- would recommend the waffles and Jersey cream porridge.

The rooms are modern, light and airy- very comfortable beds and now free wi-fi. Staff are friendly and very helpful.

We've enjoyed eating galettes on the terrace this year but usually have a walk along the beach in the evening to one of the nearby places to eat- the oyster box is a great restaurant and pizza express and a good Chinese nearby too.

We often don't travel far from the hotel but day trips have included the inspiring Jersey war Tunnels museum (a must visit), Plemont beach, Jersey zoo, Living Legend for the crazy golf and the four wheel bike rides on the way into St Helier. Good bead shops next to hotel too.

Room Tip: Beach view if budget allows
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hi

Thank you for the review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, I think I use the word "delighted" too often on TA.

I am pleased that you enjoy the breakfast, we have a huge choice, roughly 112 items last time we counted and we are looking to improve it.

We hate to admit it but there are lots of choice of places to eat in the bay, as long as we are the first choice.

Thank you for mentioning the other activities in Jersey, we love St Brelade but Plemont with it's caves to explore is great.

Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you again soon..

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

L'Horizon is less than 10 minutes from Jersey airport so great for a short break.
The hotel is right on a wonderful beach with amazing tides.
There's a bus stop right outside so travel to St. Helier is very easy.
Our room was very well equipped and very comfortable, with a few nice touches including fresh milk and evening turn down.
Breakfast was well managed with a good choice of items. All staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful.
Indoor pool was good too with a sauna and steam room.

Room Tip: The view from the front rooms must be wonderful but sadly we were on the back.
2 Thank Lesley61
Hi Lesley

Thank you for the review. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay ad the location. Thank you for the positive comments we hope to see you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We would definitely stay here again. The hotel is literally on the beach, with it taking approximately 30 seconds for our 5 year old to skip down the stairs, across the terrace, and then on to the gorgeous sandy beach (which is definitely one of the best in Jersey).

The hotel staff were welcoming and warm - this extended from 'front of house' staff (where we got some good tips on walking routes/green lanes to Corbierre and St Aubins), to the waiting and kitchen staff at breakfast, through to the chambermaids (and the little touches such as fresh milk in the fridge for tea/coffee, and bottled water each day).

The hotel staff also tried their very best to deal with some quite tricky customers - I believe that we were actually in reception at the same time as one of the reviewers below, and I have to say that they were on the receiving end of an adult tantrum that was 'fascinating' to watch.

The hotel clearly has high aspirations in terms of its facilities and service - the pool and spa, for example, were lovely, and being able to swim or use the steam room was a really welcome and unexpected option for what was essentially a beach holiday.

These high aspirations also applied to the lunch, grill and formal dining menus, which were very much aiming for a more 'high end' clientele. Such ambitions are great, and we did eat on the hotel terrace once. However, we did feel that L'Horizon is missing a trick when - literally on the same promenade - there are restaurants like the Crab Shack which are just a bit more informal, simpler in presentation, and consequently priced at a level where you can eat there more than once.

That is really our only small criticism of the hotel - everything else was perfect, including the weather...

Room Tip: Sea view is probably a must...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hi Chris

Thank you for your review of L’Horizon.

Great to hear that your 5 year old had the opportunity to run down to the beach, no roads to cross it really is great for families.

Thank you for the positive comments about the team. I am glad that they could help with tips for your holiday.

Difficult guests at L’Horizon, never, it is always very rewarding to turn a negative into a positive, which hopefully we did on that occasion.

We do have a selection of dining options and we do feel the Terrace does compare favourably with the Crab Shack regarding prices. We do see the choice of restaurants as an added bonus for the visitors to the Bay, and we have considerably more seating outside than the other restaurants in the Bay.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you at L’Horizon again soon.

South West
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We recently stayed at the L’horizon on a package deal which given the normal rates charged for sea view rooms, proved to be excellent value.

The hotel is beautifully kept and so well appointed. The views out to St. Brelades are simply stunning and if you are lucky enough to have a sea facing room, the experience of waking up to the view is wonderful.

The hotel and room was kept very clean and with the exception of some of the bar staff on the terrace, the staff were great – the porters in particular were very helpful and went above and beyond. Loved the turndown service and the daily newsletter was very sweet!

We were over in Jersey for a weekend work event and as a very regular visitor to Jersey’s town centre hotels, I was keen to have a different experience to staying in St Helier. Overall, it was very positive and as I say, we were staying for work so we did not spend a lot of time in the hotel during the day. However I would have spent more time in the hotel in the evenings if it wasn’t for the bar prices! Bearing in mind that I regularly stay in Jersey and work in London, I was absolutely gob smacked when I saw what the L’horizon charges for a large glass of Pinot Grigio. £12.50 a glass!!!! Absolute extortion which meant that after I realised my error of drinking in the hotel, we never drank wine again, choosing to spend our money outside of the hotel where the same wine was half the price.

I accept that hotels will be more expensive than bars and in hotels (including central London) I would expect to pay around £8 a glass. But £12.50, in Jersey when there are multiple other options to choose from, all within a short walk from the hotel seems almost offensive to its customers. Interestingly enough, I was on the Island to organise a corporate hospitality event and I was charged almost the same per bottle of wine by caterers as the L’horizon charges for 1 glass!

So overall, this is a lovely, high end hotel for a seaside break, however its bar prices are above and beyond acceptable mark ups which actually prevented me from spending time in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and St Brelade’s Bay and that you were able to take advantage of the sea view which is an absolute must. I am pleased that you found the package to be a good deal as the rates are always better when you book direct with the Hotel.

I appreciate your positive comments about the team, it is always nice when we receive good feedback however I am curious though as to whether there was an issue with the bar staff on the Terrace. Perhaps you could provide me with some more details?

I am glad you like the daily newsletter, it’s fairly new, an idea I pinched from a couple of our sister Hotels. So thank you for your feedback.

Regarding the wines, we have had comments before. Although this is too late for your stay with us we have taken the comments on board and are changing the prices in the bar to make the wines less expensive. We will also use smaller glasses and changing the price accordingly.

Also we are ensuring that we make the prices of the large glasses of wine more transparent so that they don’t come as a surprise to our guests when presented with the bill.

I hope that you have the chance to come back to L’Horizon soon and hopefully you will have opportunity to see if the changes work.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Brelade
#1 of 32 in St. Helier
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#5 of 32 in St. Helier

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!