“Great Location but....”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in St. Brelade
West Sussex
“Great Location but....”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I travel to the channel Islands on business a few times a year and have free choice of which hotels I stay in, I am only there usually for one or two nights so a sea view isn't that important to me as I only sleep in the rooms, so I have an inland room. my particular room was too hot, no A/C control in the room so had to sleep with the window wide open during the night, thankfully a calm night!
the location of the hotel is great for me, near the airport to save getting caught in the morning rush, beach location is quiet and tranquil. I have stayed here a few times and used the pool etc, everything good and you can sit in the Jacuzzi and look over the beach.....

I eat at the Chinese just up the beach which is ok, and breakfast is cooked to order at the hotel in the morning

Overall this is a nice hotel but I will request a room with controllable A/C next time....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank vf12vf
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi

Thank you for the review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that you found the room too hot during your stay, due to the strange British weather this year we have kept the heating on for longer and as you have said that particular room doesn’t have air conditioning. We do have a number of rooms that do have this facility and if you let us know on booking I am sure that we can arrange this if we have the availability.

Thank you for the positive comments about the hotel, the breakfast and location, yes we are only 5 minutes from the airport but thankfully you don’t hear any planes.

The Jacuzzi is a wonderful treat with a fantastic view.

I hope that next time you are here you can elevate the score to 5. We hope to see you again soon.

Martin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Surrey
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I keep in touch regularly with the tripadvisor reviews of the hotels that I have stayed at in Jersey. My/our first stay was in 1966 at the L'Horizon and I saw John Nettles there!!!
Wow! Silly memory, but it is a memory that's lasted 40+years! Not sure what else happened in 1966 but I do remember our visit then quite well. Oh yes, it was our honeymoon! I'm sure there was something else that also happened that year!

For many more years after 1966, I continued to visit the Island on business, when I mostly stayed at the Grand Hotel (wonderful).

We then started to take regular holidays in Jersey as well, staying mostly at the L'Horizon which, frankly, whilst it may have its ups and downs, is a top class hotel - especially when you stay there regularly and any problems are mostly minor and quickly overcome.

Problems occur wherever you go. It's not about the problems, but more about how the hotel staff deal with them.

For me, having stayed at both the L'Horizon and the Grand Hotels, over the last 45 years, they are both great value for money, great staff, great (but very different) locations and I would recommend either of them. In fact, I only wish I was going back there tomorrow.

Hang on, I am going back there tomorrow for a 10 day stay. I prefer not to say which of the two hotels I and my family of 6 are going to, but whatever the problems that we tourists experience, these two are right up there at the top.

Sorry to those of you who have written disappointing comments about L'Horizon recently, but you really are very much in the minority. Try it again, I am sure you will change your opinions.

Room Tip: Sea view, sea view, sea view - hope I am making myself clear, this really does make such a differenc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Peter F, Deputy General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hello

Thank you for your review of the Hotel. We are delighted you have such fond memories of the hotel for the past 47 years!

We do take both the positive and the negative comments seriously and want to deliver a professional service to all of our guests.

We are pleased that you feel that our team handle any issues well and that we deliver on fixing issues when they arise.

Thank you once again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to L’Horizon in the future.
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at L'Horizon on 16th May for 3 nights. During our stay we used the spa facilities which included the pool. There was far too much chlorine so much so that my friend ended up with very puffy eyes and they were stinging. We reported this but were told that the water is checked every 30 mins. We had a car throughout the duration of our stay but couldn't park in the hotel car park as it had no parking signs out from Friday morning until Saturday evening. Most of the car park was sectioned off and hotel guests had to park in the overflow car park across the road. It then became apparent as to why when several vintage Cars appeared by Sat evening. This is discrimination as the car park operates on a first come first served basis. I really don't expect this sort of behaviour from a 4 star hotel. We were not even asked to complete a customer satisfaction questionnaire (I wonder why) not sure I would return as does not offer good value for money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank miscura
Hi

Thank you for your review of the hotel

I apologise that you didn’t feel that the stay was up to your expectations.

Regarding the pool, it is actually a salt water pool with considerably less chorine in than a normal chlorinated pool. We do carry out regular checks to the pool as you were informed to ensure that the water is safe and the chemical levels correct. I am sorry that your friend suffered some discomfort and I hope that they are feeling better.

I regret that you felt discriminated against with the car park. We actually reserved a very small part of the car park for a group of Jaguar owners who had travelled from France and I felt that the collective cars would look very attractive lined up in front of the hotel. It was certainly not my intention to upset anyone and we did only reserve 10 spaces of 125 available.

We have changed the guest feedback forms and we now send those out online, providing we have an email address. But realistically we welcome your feedback at any time. I believe that we have actually received your online feedback now, so thank you for completing that, I am sorry that you didn’t receive it prior to writing the report on Tripadvisor

If there are any aspects of your stay that you would like to discuss further please feel free to contact me.

Paris
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel is very well located: beachfront, amazing view on St Brelade's Bay. We had a very nice stay but would expect something different for a 4 star and the price: peeling paint in the elevator and in the hallways, flood in the bathroom when taking showers... Rooms are very clean and rather big but noisy (we could easily hear our next door neighbours). Food is rather pricey is the "relax" restaurant and having to ask for bread rolls (after being seated for 20mn) and waiting 25 mn for a bowl of strawberries and an icrecream is rather unusual in such types of hotels... Nice indoor pool (big enough to swim) and great pianist!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gilberte78
Hi

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay but disappointed that you feel slightly let down.

We are currently addressing the lift and the corridors but obviously not quickly enough for which I am sorry. The service that you received is not what you should expect and I am apologise that you had to ask for things and that you were kept waiting. I shall be looking into that further in the areas concerned.

I can assure you that we are a fully accredited 4 star hotel, we are actually the highest rated 4 black star hotel in Jersey.

However, thank you for your positive points. I am glad that you enjoyed the pool and Collette the pianist.

General Manager.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Staff very very polite and friendly.We had a suite with view at £450 per night.Fantastic location.

We moved on the first night due to the noise.2nd night we moved because the suite was infested with ants,thousands of them.They moved us to a disgusting room without a view and it smelt.When we left we asked to see the manager and told her we paid for a room with a view and didnt get what we were paying for,she said "Not much I can do really!"........we werent impressed and definately wont be staying there ever again which is a pitty as our friends have just moved there and we'll be visiting often

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 186337Tim
Hi

Thank you for your review and thank you for the kind comments about the team in the hotel.

I am sorry that there were issues during your stay. I know that you spoke to two of our managers, Peter and Sue. Peter initially regarding the air conditioning and then Sue about the ants. We are slightly confused by your comments as we know that you were refunded for part of your stay to which you said was OK. I know that Sue spent some time speaking to you and there was no mention of the issues other that the lack of the sea views and those already mentioned. I have checked the Bouley Suite and there is no smell. Personally I love that particular suite as it has three separate rooms.

If there was something that we have not understood from speaking to you please get in touch and we can discuss it further.

I look forward to speaking to you.

uk
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The L'Horizon has a beautiful beachfront location with stunning views over St.Brelade's Bay.
Bedrooms are excellent and cleanliness is of a high standard.The room attendants are very efficient and hard working.
The pianist Collette is playing in the bar most evenings and is fantastic.
Swimming Pool was good but we were surprised to see a cleaning lady mopping disinfectant very near around guests in the evening who were sitting on loungers near the pool.This should really be done after closing as guests don't want to walk in it.
The only other aspect which was disappointing was the cooked breakfast.The bacon was half cooked in a lazily way and often cooked up to five or six strips layered on top of each other where some is uncooked and then just thrown in a pile under the heated area ,also tomatoes were undercooked and raw and the eggs were fried in a rushed manner and were disappointing as the whites were still runny.This is such a high quality hotel the breakfast chefs should do much better and take more interest.
Still we had a very enjoyable stay at L'Horizon and would definitely return on our next holiday to Jersey.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank claudio10
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hi Claudio

I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay. I was disappointed to read about the breakfast, you are right; that is poor and it should have been better. I have raised this issue with our chef today, and I will look into it further, should you wish to discuss this with me further please feel free to get in touch.

Regarding the pool, we do clean it regularly during the day, obviously we only use chemicals that are safe to do so. I am sorry if this disturbed your visit to the pool area.

Thank you once again for the review and we hope you have the chance to return to L’Horizon very soon.

Mitcham Surrey
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel. My son was married on the Saturday and as many people had travelled to Jersey we decided to have a BBQ on the Sunday. We thought it would be an informal do, but the hotel really excelled itself. The terrace was beautifully set up with tables all formally set up and with a separate bar. The food was excellent and the staff outstandingly good. If you want an event catered for, then you would find this hotel an excellent choice

Room Tip: Did not stay in the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hi

Thank you for the review, I am very pleased that the event on the Terrace went so well, it was a lovely day. We do more than just rooms and thank you for mentioning that.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Brelade
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
Grand Jersey Hotel & Spa
#6 of 32 in St. Helier
Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!