“Pleasant Hotel, great sea view.”

L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in St. Brelade
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I had to stay overnight during a business trip to the island, and selected this hotel as a colleague had stayed here once before.

I was greeted at reception by a very friendly receptionist who had all of my details quickly to hand and explained everything for me. The bell-boy helped take my case to the room and described the facilities on the way up.

The room was very comfortable and spacious, with a simple to use heating/cooling system which worked well. The hot water was indeed hot and instantly available. The shower was a little weak, but did the job perfectly.

There was no WiFi signal in the room, but there was a network point provided and a cable in the top drawer of the desk. There was a large screen TV, with a connection point just underneath so if you wnated to connect your laptop in and play a video from that there was no problem. There was also a DVD player in the room, and a large list of DVD titles that you could rent from reception if required.

I had a simple meal in the Grill restaurant, which I thought was a little pricy, but the food was excellent and the service was very good. I guess you get what you pay for, and the quality of the food was high.

I arrived on a very foggy day, and could not see the view out of the rear of the Hotel, but next morning I could see that the view of the bay was excellent. I guess in summer it is really nice to sit outside and watch the world. The indoor pool at the Spa looks inviting too, but I did not come prepared so could not try it.

Breakfast was very tasty, and again of a very high standard.

So, in short it was a pleasant stay in the hotel and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 248 is a side-facing room, but there is a sea view from the balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Paul-Syd-Smith
Write a ReviewReviews (1,348)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We came on a three-night special between Christmas and new year. We had booked a sea-view room but were upgraded to a superior - it was comfortable and quiet and the views of the beach and sea made it for us. I could have watched the tides, dog-walkers, surfers and sunrises/sunsets all day!

Staff were friendly, showing us to our room and checking everything was ok. Breakfast was good and we ate in the hotel one evening, which was good without being fabulous.

We didn't hire a car. We got the bus into St Helier and back (from right outside the hotel - offers a reasonable service right into the evening) and got one or two cabs to nearby pubs. We also walked over to St Ouen's Bay one day (about 5 miles) taking in the Corbiere lighthouse and the surfy El Tico restaurant - we got the bus back from here too.

There are a couple of decent cafes nearby (esp the Crab Shack), more if you're prepared to walk a bit.

Only slight niggles were the quality of the toiletries, which left my skin flaky and my hair dry (and could've been more gentle/organic - it is a spa hotel after all) and that, on one occasion, the kids/families in the pool could've been more compromising with people who were there to swim. I know kids like to use the pool in winter, but there are also spa guests and on one occasion all the loungers were taken by fully clothed mothers watching their kids. Maybe a few more loungers could be provided?

I treated myself to a massage which was pleasant but largely ineffectual. My husband had his first ever massage with the therapist who does sports massages and she totally sorted out his rugby injury - ask for her if you're having a massage.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, even if it means paying extra. It's gorgeous at all times of day and in all...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Fozzy_Bear_79
MartinKelly, General Manager at L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Hi

Thank you for the review of L’Horizon.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

I was however concerned about your comment about the toiletries, perhaps if you could contact me at the hotel this is something that we could discuss further.

Regarding the pool; we do have adult only swim times twice a day which makes for a much quieter swimming and relaxing visit to the spa.

Also, it was great to see that our therapist sorted out your husbands discomfort.

We hope to see you again soon

Regards

Martin
General Manager.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I are regular visitors to Handpicked Hotels as he is a gold member through his business trips with work and I have to say L'Horizon lived up to the Handpicked reputation.

A really lovely building with a glass back so you can really make the most of the views out over the beach. We were upgraded to a sea view room and waking up with that view every morning was just fantastic. The bed was amazing!! The most comfortable bed I had ever slept in

From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out the staff were fantastic and had the classic handpicked hotels approach of being professional and ensuring everything was done to the best standard it could be but at the same time having a friendly and welcoming approach. The pride the staff take in their hotel was clear. The hotel was relatively quiet whilst we were there as it was off peak but this didn't affect the enjoyment of our stay at all.

We had dinner at the hotel the first night in the Brasserie and had the set menu which was just delicious, our second night we had dinner at the oyster box just a couple of minutes walk down the promenade and again had a great experience

We also used the swimming pool on our first day - loved the fact the whole room was so warm so you could happily relax on a sunlounger if you wanted.

This was our first trip to Jersey and we were only there three days but would recommend hiring a car and visiting some of the other beaches on the island (although St Brelades was the nicest) and the War Tunnels were great

Another lovely stay at a Handpicked hotel - we hope to be back again one day!

Room Tip: Definately ask for a sea view! Watching the early morning dog walkers and swimmers on the beach is a...
3  Thank Emsi999
Reviewed November 26, 2012

After a bit of a grim week, we decided to treat ourselves with an overnight stay at the L'Horizon with dinner in The Grill restaurant.

We couldn't fault a thing from check-in through to a dip in the pool on our way out on Sunday.

The staff were excellent and very friendly which made the whole experience more enjoyable.

Dinner at The Grill was superb and we found it hard to choose between the Table d'hote and A La Carte menu - both were very tempting.

I have to say that the bed (room 256) was one of the comfiest I have ever slept in a hotel. Out like a light!

All in all, highly recommended. We both had treatments in the spa which were great value and perfect to end our getaway.

Room Tip: A sea view is fairly unbeatable. Even when it's blowing a force 6 gale, the views are spectacula...
3  Thank Andy B
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at L'Horizon in Jersey and we have to say this hotel was wonderful. It's in a fabulous location in St. Brelade's Bay, right on the promenade. We had been given an upgrade to an ocean deluxe and the view from the room was amazing. We have both travelled a lot but have to say this beach is definately one of the most beautiful! Right from the moment we arrived we were given the typical handpicked hotels welcome. The staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough to make sure our stay was enjoyable. They had the perfect balance that Handpicked seem to achieve throughout their hotels of a highly professional service but without being stuffy and instantly making you feel at home there.

We ate at the Grill restaurant on the first night, having enjoyed a pre-dinner drink in the bar. The food was sensational! As it was low season all evening meals were in the Grill and there was a choice of menus.

We also used the pool and spa faciilities on our first day, a lovely addition to the hotel. Unfortunately it was late afternoon and so dark when we were in there so we didn't get to make the most of the seaview from the pool but can imagine it is a great experience.

The hotel has a great location on the bay, you step out the back door and you are on the beach - we also walked down the promenade on our second night and had dinner at the Oyster Box restaurant a few minutes walk away. The reception team at the hotel were great, booking a table for us, recommending places to park in St Helier on a day out - (there is a special parking system in some car parks using a scratchcard so it is worth speaking to reception before you head into the capital) and generally giving advice to make sure we got to make the most of our time on the island. We would highy recommend a trip to the War Tunnels in the centre of the island. They are fantastically done and provide a real insight into life on the island during the German occupation.

As always with any Handpicked hotel, the staff made our stay. I'd like to make a special mention to Charles and Candice who were just a delight to deal with.

We will definitely be returning one day. Thank you L'Horizon.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room with the sea view as it is well worth the upgrade.
4  Thank Stickman81
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have just returned from a long weekend break at this stunning hotel, the service throughout our stay was impeccable. The room spacious and very clean, probably the highest cleaning standard I have experienced in a while. The food was excellent throughout.
I would highly recommend this hotel not just for service and standards but also its wonderful location.
Jayne

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Had a great 3 night stay in this calm, relaxing and beautiful hotel. We felt very well taken care of and all the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Clean, comfortable rooms and even the cheapest rooms were a good size. I wish now we had paid extra for a sea view because it really is a stunning bay. Excellent buffet breakfast, even had eggs fried fresh if you wanted it. Swimming pool and spa area great too.
This hotel clearly has great management behind it because you don't get such a smooth, efficient running place without a good management team.

Room Tip: get the sea view
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Brelade
#2 of 4 in St. Aubin
Golden Sands Hotel
Golden Sands Hotel
#10 of 16 in St. Brelade

Been to L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!