“Too rude, and too stingy for the money, but lovely scenery.”

Oyster Box Beach Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in St. Brelade
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: There is a bus stop on the roof! Blue Route Island Explorer Route 12
Description: Passionate about the use of local produce, the Oyster Box showcases the best seafood including Jersey lobster and fruits de mer, but also offers a wide selection of other dishes such as steaks, beef burgers and locally caught line fish battered and served with chips, catering for every taste and culinary palette. The Oyster Box takes pride in what it means to be Jersey, and the menu reflects this. By using local produce wherever possible, a genuine effort is made to serve you a meal that is as local as possible, to the highest quality and to the very best value. The ultimate aim of the Oyster Box is to present culinary excellence combined with breathtaking surroundings enjoyed inside or outside on the sea-view terrace, to create a true casual Jersey experience.
St. Helier, United Kingdom
“Too rude, and too stingy for the money, but lovely scenery.”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

For an upmarket seafood restaurant in St Brelade, I was thoroughly unimpressed.

We arrived not long after they opened for the evening, on a Monday. They took it as a HUGE insult that we hadn't booked a table (even though there was only my mum and I. And it was a Monday. And it's out of season.) Then, they sat us in a table in the corridor (when there were only two other tables taken in the whole place). We asked to move because of the flickering flourescent lights (I have light triggered migraines that would have rendered me useless), which they then had to go and clear with the Maitre 'D (a rude, scruffy looking woman).

We ordered off the Tennerfest menu, as it seemed like a good idea. Tennerfest- food for a tenner, right? NOT HERE. £17.50 for two courses. My mum's starter (pidgeon breast) was undercooked, and my main course (pumpkin gnocchi) was smaller than the starter (brie de meux)!

After our mains (which took a long time to be cleared), we ordered some coffees, which took close to twenty minutes to be delivered. During this time, I turned to look to see if they were coming, catching the eye of the aforementioned scruffy Maitre 'D (I only assume she was in charge, as all the male staff hovered round her), and she shouted across the restaurant to see if everything was ok. VERY Unprofessional, VERY rude, and the main reason I didn't leave a tip.

I most certainly would not recommend going there, as I think you deserve to be treated politely and with some respect when you're paying through the nose. (We ate about four hours ago, and I'm already STARVING). HOWEVER, it did have the most beautiful view of the bay.

To sum up: Snotty Service, Nice But Small Food, Lovely View, Generally Underwhelming.

• Visited October 2011
5 Thank Primrose T

• Polish first
St. Paul-de-Vence
“Nice restaurant on a beautiful bay”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We all opted for the Crab Salad for lunch. The food was very good, although we didn't sample anything else as the portion (did they use 2 crabs for each?) was pretty large and filling. The view over the beach to the sea is spectacular, and we finished off with coffees outside on the terrace.

A pleasant find.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Brockles
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“The best shusi I have ever had...”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I was on a holiday with the family in Jersey and was recommended this restaurant in beautiful St Brelade. Even though it is a bit on the expensive side it was worth going there only for the view. The food is also fabulous, I can't stop thinking about the sushi...to die for...Excellent!

1 Thank James Russel R
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
“Delicious food in a beautiful location”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This restaurant was recommended and did not dissapoint. We visited on a glorious sunny day for lunch and sat under the huge umbrella's drinking chilled wine. The tempura prawns were to die for!! Service was good, and did not find the prices as high as we had expected.
Overall good experience and would visit again!!!

1 Thank pipsypants
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Decent Restaurant; a Sound Choice”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Based on TA reviews we chose to eat evening meals here twice during our (first ever) week in Jersey. The fact that we ate there twice is a positive indicator.

Overall it was a good choice, but IMO it didn't have that extra 'something' that we were expecting. Not a problem, just that perhaps we were expecting too much. If TA would allow it (which they don't) I would rate it good, rather than very good.

Quite a busy / buzzy place - definitely book in advance.