“A surprise oasis?”

Ranked #17 of 55 Restaurants in St. Brelade
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This exceptional Michelin-starred fine dining restaurant showcases modern British cooking in a classic setting with the emphasis on fresh Jersey produce.Executive Head Chef Mark Jordan has created a sophisticated selection of menus, including a seasonal a la carte, daily changing set menus and specially selected vegetarian dishes. An extensive wine list complements Mark’s food.Ocean’s design is influenced by its coastal setting. Blues, whites and beiges create a modern classic look, while delightful hand-crafted furniture and specially commissioned artwork emphasise the feeling of luxury. White American shutters frame stunning views over the gardens to the ocean beyond.
Reviewed July 8, 2014

A wonderful oasis, beautifully and tastefully decorated, wonderful discreet but attentive staff making you feel that this was going to be a wonderful experience. Restaurant manager is delightful as are his staff. Top class service and exquisite food, nothing rushed, finished with coffee and petit fours overlooking the pool and gardens. Whilst outside the service continued to be superb. I could not fault the food or indeed any part of our visit to this wonderful restaurant. Can't wait to return !

Reviewed July 5, 2014

A wonderful setting to dine. Great food, reasonable choice, excellent staff and a Manager who is totallt attentive to all you needs

1  Thank BryReigate
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This was the second leg of our Michelin Experience , all I can say is , perfection . Can't fault any aspect of our experience at this amazing place . Lovely setting , brilliant service , fabulous food. Can't wait to return , next time we will stay at the hotel too .

1  Thank Andyimpey1964
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Wonderful presentation of food, very tasty but all done at a gallop! I had only just finished my amuse bouche when my starter was brought to the table. On finishing a very tasty starter I went to the ladies, on return my main course was already on the table! I expected a nice evening out with our friends but the meal was over in less than an hour! Felt totally disappointed. The head waiter was very apologetic and did not charge us for desserts. The food on the other hand was excellent, it was a shame really as we all had been looking forward to trying this restaurant.

2  Thank J0and
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Two of us went for dinner on a Friday night, and decided on the Tasting Menu. A couple of years ago we decided to go out less frequently, but instead focus on trying out top restaurants in the places we visit and so have tried a number of Michelin starred venues.

The menu sounded very interesting, though ended up for us being a mix of the exceptional and the ever so slightly strange. The Poached Jersey Oyster dish was phenomenal (but why serve this dish with a most beautiful sauce with a knife and fork but no spoon?) and the beef course was exceptional, particularly the 'Dauphinoise cappuccino' which, quite simply, would bring peace to the world. These feats of culinary delights were however mixed with an interesting sounding but ultimately misconstructed 'deconstructed salad' of lobster, mango and basil (seriously seafood and dessert - sad face) and a terribly average selection of four cheeses, served with a sad piece of fruit loaf and a terribly sweet oatcake (not that there was anything 'wrong' with said oatcake as such - it would have been lovely with a cup of tea in front of the TV. It was just too sweet for a michelin-starred cheese plate!). And my bouche was not amused much, as the only little extra surprise was the pre-dessert of lemon posset ...

Anyway, all is fair in love and Michelin Tasting menus though - take the good with the bad I guess, in the name of trying something a bit new and a bit special. My one true complaint was the quality of the bread we were offered throughout the meal. I'm a sucker for a great bit of freshly baked bread and can honestly say I still have a fondness for Club Gascon in Smithfield for the sheer delight offered at offer in the 'breadbasket' they offer throughout the meal. I wish I could say the same for Ocean, but sadly I cannot. If I had to describe it, I would say it was made with sadness ... you know when the bread is perhaps not that fresh, and you reheat it, but it has to be eaten quickly or it gets hard. It was like that. All four pieces I tried and ultimately left on the plate.

Anyway, that's just a bit of a gripe. Service was good, and the front of house manager (Martinho?) was a truly welcoming host - top marks!

Overall, definitely a good restaurant and with a couple of tweaks I would say it could be truly great.

1  Thank PV74