“Disappointing”

Ranked #17 of 55 Restaurants in St. Brelade
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: This exceptional Michelin-starred fine dining restaurant showcases modern British cooking in a classic setting with the emphasis on fresh Jersey produce.Executive Head Chef Mark Jordan has created a sophisticated selection of menus, including a seasonal a la carte, daily changing set menus and specially selected vegetarian dishes. An extensive wine list complements Mark’s food.Ocean’s design is influenced by its coastal setting. Blues, whites and beiges create a modern classic look, while delightful hand-crafted furniture and specially commissioned artwork emphasise the feeling of luxury. White American shutters frame stunning views over the gardens to the ocean beyond.
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Wonderful presentation of food, very tasty but all done at a gallop! I had only just finished my amuse bouche when my starter was brought to the table. On finishing a very tasty starter I went to the ladies, on return my main course was already on the table! I expected a nice evening out with our friends but the meal was over in less than an hour! Felt totally disappointed. The head waiter was very apologetic and did not charge us for desserts. The food on the other hand was excellent, it was a shame really as we all had been looking forward to trying this restaurant.

2  Thank J0and

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Two of us went for dinner on a Friday night, and decided on the Tasting Menu. A couple of years ago we decided to go out less frequently, but instead focus on trying out top restaurants in the places we visit and so have tried a number of Michelin starred venues.

The menu sounded very interesting, though ended up for us being a mix of the exceptional and the ever so slightly strange. The Poached Jersey Oyster dish was phenomenal (but why serve this dish with a most beautiful sauce with a knife and fork but no spoon?) and the beef course was exceptional, particularly the 'Dauphinoise cappuccino' which, quite simply, would bring peace to the world. These feats of culinary delights were however mixed with an interesting sounding but ultimately misconstructed 'deconstructed salad' of lobster, mango and basil (seriously seafood and dessert - sad face) and a terribly average selection of four cheeses, served with a sad piece of fruit loaf and a terribly sweet oatcake (not that there was anything 'wrong' with said oatcake as such - it would have been lovely with a cup of tea in front of the TV. It was just too sweet for a michelin-starred cheese plate!). And my bouche was not amused much, as the only little extra surprise was the pre-dessert of lemon posset ...

Anyway, all is fair in love and Michelin Tasting menus though - take the good with the bad I guess, in the name of trying something a bit new and a bit special. My one true complaint was the quality of the bread we were offered throughout the meal. I'm a sucker for a great bit of freshly baked bread and can honestly say I still have a fondness for Club Gascon in Smithfield for the sheer delight offered at offer in the 'breadbasket' they offer throughout the meal. I wish I could say the same for Ocean, but sadly I cannot. If I had to describe it, I would say it was made with sadness ... you know when the bread is perhaps not that fresh, and you reheat it, but it has to be eaten quickly or it gets hard. It was like that. All four pieces I tried and ultimately left on the plate.

Anyway, that's just a bit of a gripe. Service was good, and the front of house manager (Martinho?) was a truly welcoming host - top marks!

Overall, definitely a good restaurant and with a couple of tweaks I would say it could be truly great.

1  Thank PV74
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We came here for a Sunday lunch treat - and what a treat it was! From the moment we came in to the moment we left, we were treated with impeccable service of the very highest standard. The food we enjoyed for lunch was absolutely superb as you would expect here. The care and attention that was paid to our children during the lunch from the staff was excellent and made the whole experience even more enjoyable for them. The restaurant manager was exceptionally good at recognising opportunities to enhance the meal in any way possible and this was very much appreciated.

We are very much into fine dining experiences and make them a priority as often as we can. We also like to take our young children along to places like this as it is a great experience for them too. This ranks right up with the very best in our opinion in terms of getting the combination of food quality and service absolutely spot on perfect. Well done! We look forward to visiting you again in the future. We could not fault a single thing. It was such a joy to experience the attention to detail and the impeccable service here. We were certainly made to feel special in a genuine and friendly way. Well done - Highly recommended.

1  Thank TheCraigFamily
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My wife and I dined here last weekend during a 2 night stay at the Atlantic hotel. We ate from the a la carte menu and can safely say that each course was a delight. I started with a very tasty chicken parfait and moved on to line caught Sea Bass, jersey crab and sweetcorn linguine with champagne foam. This course was paired with a Maccon Charnay - a Chardonnay from south Burgundy chosen by the Atlantic's sommelier Sergio do Santos - a more expert and charming individual you are not likely to meet.

Overall this was an extremely relaxed and enjoyable evening, made all the more special by the outstanding staff of the restaurant and the hotel. Bravo.

1  Thank Jonathan D
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This restaurant has a 'New England' feel to it decor-wise, and is in the Atlantic Hotel, now on my 'bucket list' of Hotels to experience. We had the Tasting Menu'. A culinary journey of exquisite food beautifully prepared and served by Staff who most certainly enjoyed working in such wonderful surroundings and who could not do enough for us. The wine list was extensive as you would expect and had something for every palate. Thank you Trip Advisor reviewers for whetting my appetite for an experience not to be missed.

2  Thank PaoloDanbury_England