“lovely position average hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Cristina

Hotel Cristina
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in St. Aubin
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“lovely position average hotel”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed 3 nights last month in the Cristina & I first impressions were rather poor.
I was staying alone on business & only stayed here because due to some convention in St Helier my usual hotel was way out of my budget.
I booked it through a late booking site & I am sure because of that I was given one of the worst rooms.
Room no 3 is directly over the bar & Monday evening they have live music which may be enjoyable for any one in the bar but not if you have had a very long day & want to sleep.
The room was clean but very dated & my television had dreadful reception & I was only able to get channel 3.There were coffee making facilities but I was left only 1 sachet of coffee each day !
I told reception about the TV ,coffee & the noise but was told I wouldn't be bothered by the music again until Friday ! & somone one would look at my TV & leave me a few more coffee sachets but it was never put right & by the time I got in of an evening I couldn't be bothered to keep complaining.
On the plus side the position of the hotel really is spectacular & the gardens & pool lovely if you get the weather to use them.
The restaurant was very good & the staff were pleasant although there were a few who had quite poor english.
It is unusual for me to complain about a hotel as I always read the reviews before booking & find they are normally a good reflection of the hotel the Christina gets consistantly good reviews so I was rather dissapointed in the standard of the room & service from reception.
I would recommend that if you book this hotel you make sure you get a room overlooking the pool which I think must be far superior to the one I stopped in.
I was asked on leaving if i enjoyed my & I repeated my compaints to the same receptionist who seemed to have totally forgotten I have spoken to him already.

Room Tip: not room 3
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_CristinaJersey, Manager at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear BAZDEB12,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It's obviously disappointing to read following so many positive reviews but I'm also well aware that we can't please everyone. I can only apologise for the poor levels of service, assure you that measures are being put in place to improve our service and thank you for bringing the issues to my attention.

The bedroom you booked and were allocated was an inland room. In addition to inland rooms, we have country view rooms, sea view rooms, family rooms, Sea view/balcony rooms and a Superior room. The majority of our rooms are sea view/balcony rooms and have views overlooking the pool and St Aubins bay.

I must object to your comment about some of the restaurant staff having quite poor english. I personally believe that our entire restaurant team have a very good command of English.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post a review and please accept my apologies if we did not live up to your expectations.

Steve Hayes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Market Weighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hotel is in an elevated position overlooking St Aubins Bay,enjoying some of the best views in Jersey from terrace,pool area and most of the rooms, We were fortunate enough to stay in one of the sea view/balcony rooms on the third floor and were very happy with facilities and comfort level. Loved the walk up and down the hill to jump on the local buses and explore the island. Also walk across the bay at low tide to The Boat House for dinner. Staff at the Hotel Cristina went above and beyond to be helpful and were so courteous.We were on a short break to celebrate wedding anniversary (thank you Steve and staff for thoughtful card)and our wonderful stay made for a memorable occasion.

1 Thank Jackie F
Hotel_CristinaJersey, Manager at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Jackie F,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review, especially such a positive one. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and your anniversary. Quite refreshing to hear that someone actually liked the walk up to the Hotel! I'll put the cable car installation on hold.

Happy anniversary once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cristina in the near future.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were looking for a short break mid June & decided on a weeks stay in Jersey. Fortunately our 1st choice of hotel was fully booked and our next choice, the Cristina, had vacancies. From the moment of our arrival, it couldn't have been more perfect! Our balcony room was on the 3rd floor and had fabulous views overlooking St Aubin's Bay. My husband can be picky about hotel rooms, but he actually said that it was the best hotel room he had ever stayed in. The decor was fresh & clean, and the housekeeping staff did a wonderful job every day. (There were really huge white fluffy towels to wrap in after a shower) All the staff both in front of house & the restaurant were very friendly and helpful. I wouldn't like to say any one of them was better than the rest, as they were all stars! The Indigo restaurant is worth the billing in the brochures - the food was excellent. The breakfast buffet was extensive and the staff eager to assist if you fancied poached or boiled rather than the scrambled on daily offer. We found the car we hired very useful at exploring the Jersey countryside, although some of the road signs were confusing. The buses to other parts of the island are frequent & cheap, and the bus stop easy to reach just downhill from the hotel.(The walk back up is not so easy, as it is quite steep)
Couple of pointers that the hotel may want to address: 1 - the lasagne we ate one night in the bar was not good - huge portion but no taste. would have benefited from seasoning or herbs & was very dry. 2- the pillows were very hard - offering a choice (as do Premier Inn) would be good. All in all though, a really fab hotel that we fully intend to visit again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have the best views of the Bay, but you have to walk further from the main hotel facili...
1 Thank andie_tickle
Hotel_CristinaJersey, Manager at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear andie_tickle,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a glowing review, a great read.

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, the room, the service and most of the food. Thank you for your pointers, we do have feather pillows but your comment has made me realise that we don't actually advertise that service anywhere.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cristina in the near future.

Bracknell
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel is for people who enjoy the finer things in life in a peaceful and luxurious environment.
I was travelling alone and immediately felt at ease thanks to the lovely reception staff.
The rooms are a good size with a very nice bathroom which includes Elemis shampoo, handwash and shower oil ,all in very easy to use pump containers.
The shower is very easy to operate and just the right temperature.
The bed was so comfortable that I found it very difficult to leave it in the mornings, very large with an equally large feather duvet and very nice quality cotton pure white bed linen.
There is a nice size flat screen tv just in case you need to catch up on your programmes while you are away.
I was on the third floor with a south facing balcony and the views overlooking St Aubin's bay were amazing, and at night I could lay in bed and watch the bay all lit up.
The furniture in the room is a very good quality, all matching and kept immaculate.
The standard of cleanliness of the room and indeed the whole hotel is beyond expectation, the staff must work very hard to keep up that standard.

Although I was only booked on bed and breakfast I ate in the Restaurant every night as the food was superb and I was always given a lovely table by the window which I appreciated being on my own.
I am a very light eater and was able to have a starter or two and a dessert without having to have a main course, all the waiters were very understanding of this.
The views from the restaurant across the bay are stunning and add to the experience.
The restaurant and bar staff are excellent they are very friendly whilst maintaining a very high degree of professionalism.
The fabulous location of the hotel may make it difficult for some people to negotiate the steep steps down to the beach, but the reception staff will always call a taxi for you and there is ample parking at the hotel should you prefer to hire a car.

My one and only complaint was that there was no mini bar in the room, on my arrival I searched every cupboard hoping that it would reveal a fridge of goodies, not that I am a big drinker but to sit on my lovely balcony with a gin and tonic would have been the icing on the cake!
All in all it was a lovely holiday and I intend to return again next year.
Rosalie Muir.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view and balcony to get the most out of this stunning location.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rosalie Muir,

Thank you so much for such a fantastic review, I really enjoyed reading it (several times) and have passed it around all team members. It's always lovely to read such a glowing review.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back next year, if not before.

Worcestershire
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Picked this hotel from a short list of four after reading a few reviews on TA and Experior.We were not disappointed with our choice.We stayed for a week from June 9th on a B&B basis.
Rooms are not large but have plenty of storage,are light and airy and nicely decorated.Our balcony room was on the ground floor but still afforded great views across the bay.
The public areas of Cristina are equally neat and tidy and seem to have had a recent re-dec.
The bar area is absolutely 1st class,opening on to a super patio area which has ample seating and tables with some attractive planting creating some natural "breaks".
We ate in the bar on three occasions and found the food excellent,with enough choice for most tastes.Breakfasts are taken in the main dining room and again offer a wide choice to suit most.
All the staff we had contact with were very friendly,polite and accommodating.
All in all then very pleased with our choice.Pick this Hotel for your break and you should not be disappointed.

1 Thank Quicksylver
Hotel_CristinaJersey, Manager at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Quicksylver,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, always appreciated and shared with the whole team. I'm extremely pleased that you chose the Hotel Cristina and even more pleased that you have now discovered you made the right choice.

Some areas of the hotel have recently undergone refurbishment and/or redecoration and I'm glad that it's noticeable, especially in the public corridors and on our wonderful terrace (especially on a day like today - see photos on our facebook page).

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Cristina in the near future. Thank you once again for your comments

Peterborough
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed for 7nights in June , this was our first time in Jersey, and I'm glad we booked the Hotel Cristina. Having read previous reviews we requested a room on the third floor sea view balcony, which we got (room 311) and the view was spectacular overlooking St Aubins Bay.
The room was very comfortable and had all the facilities which were required. We only ate at the hotel for breakfast and that was good and the hot food was frequently replenished so was always fresh and hot.
All staff that we came across were polite, friendly and helpful if need be.
The hotel is ideally situated between St Helier and St Aubin and is within walking distance as when we went out in either we often walked back at night across the sand.
If we return to Jersey we will definitely stay at the Hotel Cristina again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wizzle29
Dear Wizzle29,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it's always appreciated. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the Hotel Cristina and found the room good and the team friendly.

As a note for future guests reading this, we have three floors of sea view, balcony rooms:101-115, 201-214, 301-315. All of these rooms are of the same classification and although we try to please all guests by allocating the rooms/floors requested, we cannot guarantee the floor or the bedroom, only the category. The view does improve in the higher rooms and as a result, most guests request higher floor rooms. Please don't be disappointed if you are allocated a room on a lower floor, they are all the same and all have wonderful views over St Aubins bay.

Wizzle29, thanks once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cristina in the near future.

Lancashire
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed at the end of May. When we arrived we found that a wedding would be taking place. Had I known I would not have booked the hotel but as it happened it did not disrupt our stay, apart from having to eat in the bar instead of the restaurant which was fine as the views are just as amazing. We had booked the break as part of a half board package at a good price so I did not expect the room to be much more than it was - at the back of the hotel with a window facing a wall! We were able to walk comfortably into St Helier but did get the bus back. Dinner and breakfasts at the hotel were great and we were well looked after by the staff during a very busy weekend for them. Terrace areas had amazing views. Definitely would return but would consider paying more for a room and I would make sure that there was not a wedding on.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_CristinaJersey, Manager at Hotel Cristina, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear Climmo,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, it is always nice to read that our guests have enjoyed their holidays.

For any futrue guests looking to book a holiday at the Hotel Cristina, we sometimes have wedding receptions taking place on Saturdays, about once per month. We always try to inform our guests at the time of booking, in our pre arrival email and also on arrival. If we have a wedding reception taking place in our restaurant we ask our guests that aren't part of the wedding to dine in our bar area from the same menu with the same waiting team and even better views. If you have any concerns about wedding receptions taking place whilst you're staying with us, please don't hesitate to contact via email steven.hayes@dolanhotels.com

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Cristina in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Aubin
#2 of 32 in St. Helier
L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
L'Horizon Beach Hotel & Spa
#7 of 16 in St. Brelade

Been to Hotel Cristina? Share your experiences!