We had come from the Duke of Richmond Hotel in Guernsey, a very posh, posh establishment and had a long tiring journey on the freight ferry, so we arrived late and exhausted at the Old Courthouse. Our initial reaction was OMG what a comedown. The endless stairs to the Penthouse seemed daunting. However, we were in for a pleasant surprise. The receptionist called the poor kitchen porters to haul our ample luggage up three, or was it four, flights of narrow stairs.
The 'Penthouse' was a very spacious apartment, there were two bedrooms, a huge bathroom, a very large sitting room with wide screen TV and a back patio/sunroom. However, the patio furniture was dirty, there was no outside light and there is a beautiful blue bush which I am 100% sure would cause a mega wasp/bee problem during the summer months.
We were very hungry, so even though it was nearly 10 pm, we decided to have dinner. The food was amazing, beautifully presented & very good quality. In fact, we dined at the nearby Salty Dog on our second night and regretted that we had not gone back to the courthouse.
Breakfast was a little hurriedly served. I do appreciate the staff were busy and it was 9 am, but we were well within the allotted time frame.
On our second night, we discovered the downstairs bar which was great fun. The chatty barman (reminiscent of the Tom Cruise character in the movie, Cocktails) was hilarious, Very customer focused and entertaining. There seemed to a lot of locals in both the bar & the dining room, which is always a good sign.
All in all, the Old Courthouse is a little hidden gem. First impressions can be wrong.
It is a guest house, with wonderful food, lovely staff (bar one), a cosy bar & comfortable bedrooms. The last lap of our journey took us to the Royal Yacht Hotel in St Helier, but of the three places we stayed, the Courthouse is the one to which we will return.
Note to management; If you win the lottery, put in a lift and an en suite in one bedroom in the Penthouse also I am open to correction, but I didn't notice any fire alarms up there either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Old Courthouse Inn in St. Aubins is a recently refurbished icon of Jersey Hospitality. Epitomising the perfect balance of friendly and efficent service we ensure that your home away from home gives you some fantastic memories for all the right reasons. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your The Old Court House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Court House Hotel St. Aubin
- The Old Court House Inn Jersey/St. Aubin