I booked a three night stay at the Somerville so that my partner and I could enjoy a relaxing weekend by the sea, and that's exactly what we got. The Somerville met our expectations, with a beautiful position overlooking the bay, lovely gardens, and a very high standard of cleanliness.
Don't expect the hotel to be "boutique" style, as it is quite traditionally furnished, and to a certain extent aimed at the more mature traveller. This was fine with us despite our being in our 30s. Our room was a good size, the bathroom a little dated (1980s vintage but very clean), and the side view out to sea beautiful. We would have liked a bay view, but none was available - an inland view would have been a real disappointment.
The restaurant is first class, and easily the best eatery in St Aubins. It seems to be somewhat overlooked as a dinner option but shouldn't be. One of our dinnners was a little dominated by the loud reception/dinner which was not separated from other guests, but the staff and the food easily made up for the noise.
One thing to bear in the mind is that breakfast on the Monday was extremely busy, and the restaurant understaffed, so we had to forgo the excellent full English on our last day, as we couldn't wait any longer without the danger of missing our flight. Should have got up earlier!
Finally, a warning about St Helier which we also considered for our break. We found the town to be particularly unattractive compared to the rest of the island, which we loved, and were so glad not to be staying there. Lots of traffic, a bit run down, and characterless. St Aubins easily won the day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestling on the hillside, overlooking the yachting harbour the village of St. Aubin and the bay beyond, the views from the Somerville hotel are breathtaking. The hotel is one of the Island's finest country house hotels and is well know for its warm welcome and excellent reputation with guests appreciating its discreet location and emphasis is on indulgence and style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Somerville Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Somerville Hotel St Aubin
- Somerville Hotel Jersey/St. Aubin
- Hotel Jersey Somerville
- Somerville St Aubin