“Kentucky Derby night!”

Commodore Cafe
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Linden
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Southern comfort food with a twist - served in this roadside WWII-era historic hotel. Quaint downtown square location offers a nice stroll to stretch your legs. Locally roasted coffee, Black Jack - homemade Pecan pie w splash of Jack Daniels, or Minnie Pearl's Chess Pie (plus a larger-than-life bronze statue of the Queen of Country Comedy!). House-made "Linden sauce" - smoky-sweet Buffalo-chipotle (since we're 1/3 mi from the Buffalo River) for our hand-patted burgers or hand-cut chicken strips. Speakeasy Bar & Lounge is only full bar within 50 miles. Friendly staff. Locally owned & operated by a Rhode Island couple who relocated to TN for its gorgeous land & natural wonders. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to get a tour of the haunted hotel, and hear a story or two about the underground tunnel to the old jail.
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We went to the Commodore for there Kentucky Derby Dinner Friday night, I had the prime rib with a tangy sweet bourbon sauce that added a new flavor to my palette!! My wife had the grilled salmon with a different twist, a "peach" flavored sauce!!! For dessert we shared a "tall" parfiat glass full of bananna pudding made with angel food cake, whipped cream and cinnamin flavored candied pecans, it was out of this world delicious! Their chef is always coming up with some new and interesting flavors!!

The entertainment for the night was Sherry Duncan and Richard Taylor and if you've never heard them sing together you are missing out on a wonderful experience!!

This coming weekend is the Civil War Reactment in Linden, it's the only reanactment in Tennessee actually held "in town" and it's right in front of the Commodore Hotel!!

Another fun filled weekend at the Commodore!

Reviewed May 7, 2012

Talapia fried in pecan nuts with a raspberry sauce doesn't sound promising, but it was delicious. A good cooked breakfast also went down very well.

Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

Try the cheesy fries to start. Delicious burgers and a great salad. Definitely the place to stop for lunch or dinner in Linden! Friendly owners and staff. Check out the hotel as well!

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We had dinner with friends at the Commodore on there Halloween night special and were we surprised! The whole staff was dressed for Halloween and even the owners themselves were dressed as Julius Caesar and Cleopatra! The entertainment for the night was Melody Guy from Nashville, she has a Janis Joplin throaty style and put on a wonderful show that had many of the guests singing along, including us! When our waitress (who was dressed as Heidi) brought our menus to the table she also brought delicious, hot home made rolls with cinnamon butter served on the side! We chose the fried dill pickles for our appetizer and Wow were they tart and tangy!! For dinner I had the special of the night, Chicken Marsala, the chicken breast was covered in a sweet, buttery rich sauce that included a generous portion of mushrooms and pecans that added a wonderful flavor to the chicken! It was served on a bed of creamy hot linguine pasta with grilled mixed vegetables on the side! They had fresh homemade German chocolate cake for there dessert special that I passed on but my buddy sure didn't! When they brought his piece of cake it was more than he could eat so he shared it with the rest of our group, it was that big! And yes I'll have to say it was very sweet and very fresh! Even Chef Allen made an appearance to check that everything was good at our table! All I can say is we were impressed by the warmth, small town feel, the atmosphere, the food and the entertainment! You just never get this feeling in the rush them through, all about numbers, chain restaurants in big city's! We'll be back for more!

Reviewed September 2, 2011

We decided since we live in the area that we would visit a local eatery and try it out. We had heard good things and wanted to see for ourselves. The Commodore Hotel is a historic building in Linden, and one would think the restaurant would reflect that also.

I was disappointed in the atmosphere, as well as the service. The atmosphere was bland, even tho a local young man provided some tunes on his guitar. The decorations looked like someone couldn't make up their minds how to decorate the place. Part diner, part historical, part fine dining.

Our waitress was OK, a little slow, even tho there was less than 20 tables in the place. Mind you, there also was 4 people taking orders, including the owners. It seemed no one knew what was going on, and things seemed very scattered. Then to top that, the chef/ cook was barking back incoming orders loudly. I think he had watched a little too much Gordon Ramsey.

As for the food, nothing spectacular. I had the special of the evening- a fish dish, and my husband had a shrimp linguine combination. He said his was good. He even splurged on dessert. I rate mine as just OK.

The pricing reflects that of a better restaurant, and for a small town that equals a higher class of places to eat. I expected because of this, the restaurant would have a better ambiance, and a more formal dress code (at least dress shirt and slacks or something).

Been there, tried it, and probably won't be back anytime soon. For the same amount of money, we could have went to a restaurant in Nashville, had better food, service and atmosphere. Unfortunately, it's an hour away and gas is an issue.

Been to Commodore Cafe? Share your experiences!