“To be Recommended ....”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knock
Gorey, Ireland
“To be Recommended ....”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I spent 2 nights in Knock House Hotel and found my stay more than pleasant. The location is superb-walking distance to Knock shrine and yet tucked away for utmost privacy. The room was functional but very clean and more than adequate. The restaurant was modern, spacious and well laid out whilst the menu was favourable given it was mid winter. My only criticism was one of the waitresses was accessing her mobile phone continually in the dining room - something I do frown on. Otherwise my stay was restful and the staff efficient. I do intend returning. Knock is an ideal location in one wants to use it as a base to explore many of the delights of co. Mayo.

Room Tip: All rooms are on ground floor level and really it shouldn't matter which one you are offered.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank susan k
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you very much for your invaluable feedback following your recent stay with us.I was delighted to read that you found so many favourable aspects to your stay.Needless to say,I too was most disappointed to read of the unacceptable actions by our waitress,which is not permitted on the premises.Thank you once again & I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Offaly
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights at the end of August 2013. It was my second visit in 10 weeks and I had visited in at the end of June. All I can say is that yet again It was top class.

I have one query though. I've noticed that you've put a TV in the lounge area. In the Autumn and winter months, although not necessary in the summer, would there be a possibility of investing in Sky Sports particularly on a Sunday? Particularly for the football.

One thing I thought was excellent and I only discovered this on my third visit, was that you can pay your bar bill separate from your room bill, each morning if desired with no questions asked. I think this is brilliant.

That is my only query and request. Otherwise everything is as always is excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ASle_12
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments & we were particularly delighted to read that all your visits have been enjoyable.Great idea on the Sports,will look into it as it could make for a more enjoyable stay for all Sports fans.Looking forward to seeing you in the near future.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 15, 2014

If you're visiting the Knock shrine, this is really the only choice. I arranged to be picked up at the train station at Claremorris and that transfer went smoothly. The hotel is small and cozy. It reminds me of a retreat center. The rooms are very basic (almost stark) but comfortable. The restaurant really is the highlight! I was amazed what an extensive menu the restaurant has. I was especially impressed with the plentiful breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank HumbleTexasPie
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for your nice comments & indeed the constructive ones also.We are currently looking at an entire refurbishment & upgrading of the Hotel,but commencing with the Rooms in particular,& we would hope to have a much improved offering on your next stay with us.
Abergele, N Wales, UK
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed in the Knock House Hotel four times now and have always had a warm welcome from all the staff, the rooms are large and well appointed, very clean, and the food is out of this world for excellence. You couldn't find better even in five star hotels. The price per person is extremely reasonable, and includes Dinner, Bed & Breakfast.
Robert Miller

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert M
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
We were all delighted to read that you have enjoyed several stays at our Hotel & that all aspects of your visit have reached your expectations on each occasion.Thank you for your valued feedback,it is not only nice to hear,but very encouraging for us all to know that our Customers are satisfied & continue to return.
London
Reviewed November 6, 2013

From my initial contact with Karen the reservations manager, I knew our stay at Knock House would be a good one. She went out of her way to accommodate my numerous requests in a polite and patient manner. When we arrived at the hotel we all said we were overcome by the sense of peace and tranquility, which was very much needed. The rooms are a good size, basic but with everything you really need, shower, tv, tea and coffee making facilities. I think the thing that makes Knock House so fantastic are the staff, they genuinely couldn't do enough. We were a party of 6 with additional people popping into visit over our stay and they met our endless requests for teas, coffess and sandwiches with smiles and prompt responses, nothing was too much trouble. I would therefore have no hesitation recommending this hotel, particularly for those visiting the Shrine which is literally across the road.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Lollyb74
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
What a fantastic endorsement of all our Staff.Thank you so much for noting the invaluable part they all play in looking after our many Guests,& how they made your visitors feel at home also.
It is a great source of recognition & pride for us all to hear of a job well done & that we have achieved our goals of looking after our guests to ensure their complete satisfaction & their return in the near future.
Many thanks indeed & looking forward to your next visit.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I should start by saying I am not a fan on Knock itself at all - anyone who has been knows Main Street is just littered with tacky shops selling all manner of geegaws and religious bits. The pubs and restaurants are by and large dirty. Your options of accommodation are limited to say the least, and what there is beyond Knock House Hotel are questionable. All that Horan did to upgrade Knock never made it off the Shrine grounds unfortunately. Full disclosure - I have been in the hospitality industry for over 20 years, so I'm probably more critical than most knowing what I'd accept from my staff and such.

Having said all this, I have been staying at the KHH for years - my mother is from the area - on my annual sojourns home. My first experience was many years ago with an aunt and two bachelor uncles from the farm taking me to dinner (I was staying at the Belmont back then). I was pretty impressed with the dinner then, and to be honest, continue to be. The food at the KHH is consistently good. It was not until the Belmont Hotel closed that I started staying at the KHH. Since then, I've stayed at KHH what must be easily a dozen times and each stay has been fine.

My most recent trip this September was on a par with previous trips.

The Pros:
- Friendly Staff
- Easy Check In
- Clean Rooms
- Very handy to get to and from the Shrine and cemetery
- Food has been consistently good

The Cons:
- Check Out has always been problematic - if you're not pressed to make a train, bus or flight, you're fine - but if you are...
- There's always been an odd odor in any of the rooms I've been in - not all together unpleasant, just odd and noticeable and at times, over powering
- Trying to get a drink is an ordeal - there's this hatch thing you order from and its not always manned. Further, no matter how many times you order - even with the same person - you're asked if you are a resident, which makes it problematic if you are meeting friends or family for a drink and it is their twist. As for having a late drink - good luck! I came back from dinner with friends in Kiltimagh and just wanted to have a drink or two before bed. Couldn't find anyone to serve me for love or money. When I asked at the front desk all I got was "Oh I don't know if anyone's around still" - mind you, this was no later than 10PM.
- Restaurant service - while the food is consistent, the service is not. Meals served with no cutlery, tea with no milk, wrong orders on the check, being given the check with the dessert (when it wasn't asked for) etc.

At the end of the day, KHH is what it is - a 3 star hotel in Knock, nothing to blow anyone's hair back. As indicated in my review title, it is the only option in Knock as it is the only hotel in town since the Belmont closed at the other end of town you'd want to stay at.

My suggestions to management would include:
- Making it clear to residents how and where to get a drink - maybe a laminated card in the room giving the details of the license, the hours of service, whether guests of residents can partake - something like that
- Training, training, training with the restaurant staff - just because you drop off a plate does not mean you're done - make sure it is correct, make sure there is cutlery, salt, milk, etc. on the table and don't give a diner a check unless it is asked for as otherwise it conveys the impression you are done with the service even if the diner is not
- Do something to get rid of the odors in the rooms - fresh flowers, good shampooing, etc. - I don't know what its from (I want to say the wood furniture) but it can be over powering
- Front Desk knows who is checking out which days - as such, you should be able to run a prelim bill first thing in the AM so that you only have to add on any extras from that morning vs. starting from scratch when you come up to the desk and say "I'm checking out, I'd like my bill please" you're waiting 15-20 mins.

I am sure I will be back, as noted there are no other options in town, but I do hope to see some improvements in some of these areas next trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank SeosamhNYC
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
You have supplied one of the longest & most constructive reviews ever carried out on our Hotel.! Thank you so much for taking the time & trouble in doing so & for being so honest with your background & constructive comments.We have noted each one & thank you for the many kind comments you make.Equally thank you for your most constructive comments,which I will act on,in a determined effort to improve the Hotel.
Lets hope you will see many improvements as a result of your valuable feedback,on your next trip to Knock House Hotel in the not too distant future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was my second stay in Knock, for a personal retreat experience. The hotel is just a short walk from the Shrine, but separated from the pilgrim hustle & bustle by a long stand of pine trees. The hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped, providing a pleasant welcome. The staff are faultless - friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The rooms are spacious, well-equipped with good lighting, TV and free wi-fi. The bathroom is large enough, with plenty of room for storing toiletries, although it's a bit of a climb into the tub - I wonder how guests who are not very nimble manage it without possibly slipping and falling! The restaurant is excellent, with two menus: a la carte, and a selection of dishes for guests that changes each day. It's possible to get a room with breakfast, or with breakfast & dinner, included in the one room price. There is a lounge where one can have coffee/tea & snacks, or even order lunch or dinner to enjoy in a non-restaurant setting. I was here in 2012 for 5 nights, and enjoyed it so much that I returned in 2013 for 7 nights - so that speaks for itself. The hotel is not a Marriott or Ritz-Carlton, but for goodness sake, the main reason why people come to Knock is to visit the Shrine and pray, not to shop at Gucci and eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant. I've stayed in many, many shrines where I've put up with housing that is pretty much equivalent to a bare-basics youth hostel, and I have to say the Knock House Hotel is the best accommodation I've experienced in a shrine locale. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel, away from the car park, have a good view of woods and gardens...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank A-Yank-in-Oz
Thank you very much for your detailed review of our Hotel.It was great to hear that you extended your second visit & were not in any way disappointed by your experiences.Thank you also for the valuable comparisons & we look forward to your return visit in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Knock
McWilliam Park Hotel
Great National Hotel Ballina
The Gateway Hotel
The Gateway Hotel
#1 of 1 in Swinford

Been to Knock House Hotel? Share your experiences!