“Knock House Hotel a perfect hotel”
Review of Knock House Hotel

Knock House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knock
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed in the Knock House Hotel four times now and have always had a warm welcome from all the staff, the rooms are large and well appointed, very clean, and the food is out of this world for excellence. You couldn't find better even in five star hotels. The price per person is extremely reasonable, and includes Dinner, Bed & Breakfast.
Robert Miller

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Robert M
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

We were all delighted to read that you have enjoyed several stays at our Hotel & that all aspects of your visit have reached your expectations on each occasion.Thank you for your valued feedback,it is not only nice to hear,but very encouraging for us all to know that our Customers are satisfied & continue to return.

There are newer reviews for Knock House Hotel

Reviewed November 6, 2013

From my initial contact with Karen the reservations manager, I knew our stay at Knock House would be a good one. She went out of her way to accommodate my numerous requests in a polite and patient manner. When we arrived at the hotel we all said we were overcome by the sense of peace and tranquility, which was very much needed. The rooms are a good size, basic but with everything you really need, shower, tv, tea and coffee making facilities. I think the thing that makes Knock House so fantastic are the staff, they genuinely couldn't do enough. We were a party of 6 with additional people popping into visit over our stay and they met our endless requests for teas, coffess and sandwiches with smiles and prompt responses, nothing was too much trouble. I would therefore have no hesitation recommending this hotel, particularly for those visiting the Shrine which is literally across the road.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Lollyb74
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

What a fantastic endorsement of all our Staff.Thank you so much for noting the invaluable part they all play in looking after our many Guests,& how they made your visitors feel at home also.
It is a great source of recognition & pride for us all to hear of a job well done & that we have achieved our goals of looking after our guests to ensure their complete satisfaction & their return in the near future.
Many thanks indeed & looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I should start by saying I am not a fan on Knock itself at all - anyone who has been knows Main Street is just littered with tacky shops selling all manner of geegaws and religious bits. The pubs and restaurants are by and large dirty. Your options of accommodation are limited to say the least, and what there is beyond Knock House Hotel are questionable. All that Horan did to upgrade Knock never made it off the Shrine grounds unfortunately. Full disclosure - I have been in the hospitality industry for over 20 years, so I'm probably more critical than most knowing what I'd accept from my staff and such.

Having said all this, I have been staying at the KHH for years - my mother is from the area - on my annual sojourns home. My first experience was many years ago with an aunt and two bachelor uncles from the farm taking me to dinner (I was staying at the Belmont back then). I was pretty impressed with the dinner then, and to be honest, continue to be. The food at the KHH is consistently good. It was not until the Belmont Hotel closed that I started staying at the KHH. Since then, I've stayed at KHH what must be easily a dozen times and each stay has been fine.

My most recent trip this September was on a par with previous trips.

The Pros:
- Friendly Staff
- Easy Check In
- Clean Rooms
- Very handy to get to and from the Shrine and cemetery
- Food has been consistently good

The Cons:
- Check Out has always been problematic - if you're not pressed to make a train, bus or flight, you're fine - but if you are...
- There's always been an odd odor in any of the rooms I've been in - not all together unpleasant, just odd and noticeable and at times, over powering
- Trying to get a drink is an ordeal - there's this hatch thing you order from and its not always manned. Further, no matter how many times you order - even with the same person - you're asked if you are a resident, which makes it problematic if you are meeting friends or family for a drink and it is their twist. As for having a late drink - good luck! I came back from dinner with friends in Kiltimagh and just wanted to have a drink or two before bed. Couldn't find anyone to serve me for love or money. When I asked at the front desk all I got was "Oh I don't know if anyone's around still" - mind you, this was no later than 10PM.
- Restaurant service - while the food is consistent, the service is not. Meals served with no cutlery, tea with no milk, wrong orders on the check, being given the check with the dessert (when it wasn't asked for) etc.

At the end of the day, KHH is what it is - a 3 star hotel in Knock, nothing to blow anyone's hair back. As indicated in my review title, it is the only option in Knock as it is the only hotel in town since the Belmont closed at the other end of town you'd want to stay at.

My suggestions to management would include:
- Making it clear to residents how and where to get a drink - maybe a laminated card in the room giving the details of the license, the hours of service, whether guests of residents can partake - something like that
- Training, training, training with the restaurant staff - just because you drop off a plate does not mean you're done - make sure it is correct, make sure there is cutlery, salt, milk, etc. on the table and don't give a diner a check unless it is asked for as otherwise it conveys the impression you are done with the service even if the diner is not
- Do something to get rid of the odors in the rooms - fresh flowers, good shampooing, etc. - I don't know what its from (I want to say the wood furniture) but it can be over powering
- Front Desk knows who is checking out which days - as such, you should be able to run a prelim bill first thing in the AM so that you only have to add on any extras from that morning vs. starting from scratch when you come up to the desk and say "I'm checking out, I'd like my bill please" you're waiting 15-20 mins.

I am sure I will be back, as noted there are no other options in town, but I do hope to see some improvements in some of these areas next trip.

5  Thank SeosamhNYC
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

You have supplied one of the longest & most constructive reviews ever carried out on our Hotel.! Thank you so much for taking the time & trouble in doing so & for being so honest with your background & constructive comments.We have noted each one & thank you for the many kind comments you make.Equally thank you for your most constructive comments,which I will act on,in a determined effort to improve the Hotel.
Lets hope you will see many improvements as a result of your valuable feedback,on your next trip to Knock House Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was my second stay in Knock, for a personal retreat experience. The hotel is just a short walk from the Shrine, but separated from the pilgrim hustle & bustle by a long stand of pine trees. The hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped, providing a pleasant welcome. The staff are faultless - friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The rooms are spacious, well-equipped with good lighting, TV and free wi-fi. The bathroom is large enough, with plenty of room for storing toiletries, although it's a bit of a climb into the tub - I wonder how guests who are not very nimble manage it without possibly slipping and falling! The restaurant is excellent, with two menus: a la carte, and a selection of dishes for guests that changes each day. It's possible to get a room with breakfast, or with breakfast & dinner, included in the one room price. There is a lounge where one can have coffee/tea & snacks, or even order lunch or dinner to enjoy in a non-restaurant setting. I was here in 2012 for 5 nights, and enjoyed it so much that I returned in 2013 for 7 nights - so that speaks for itself. The hotel is not a Marriott or Ritz-Carlton, but for goodness sake, the main reason why people come to Knock is to visit the Shrine and pray, not to shop at Gucci and eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant. I've stayed in many, many shrines where I've put up with housing that is pretty much equivalent to a bare-basics youth hostel, and I have to say the Knock House Hotel is the best accommodation I've experienced in a shrine locale. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel, away from the car park, have a good view of woods and gardens...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank A-Yank-in-Oz

Thank you very much for your detailed review of our Hotel.It was great to hear that you extended your second visit & were not in any way disappointed by your experiences.Thank you also for the valuable comparisons & we look forward to your return visit in the near future.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night and I seemed to be the youngest resident. It attracts an older resident. Room was clean and quiet with comfortable bed. Old fashioned and plain décor. The bar was really unusual. You ordered from an opening like a hatch. It doesn't have a bar feel at all.
Staff were very friendly and breakfast was your standard three star hotel breakfast.
There's ample parking.

3  Thank Happy186605
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.It is very helpful to have guest feedback & we will certainly take your comments on board to enhance the Bar area in the future.
Our Liquor Licence is somewhat restricted to Residents & Diners only.We recently carpeted the area to warm it up & also put in a 48" Plasma TV for our Guests comfort.We will continue to make this area more enticing & comfortable.
Thank you for your other comments also.Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a very quiet peaceful property, very close to the shrine. Rooms are big and spacious, a little dated but clean and comfortable. Good parking and wifi, breakfast selection quite limited, food in general was good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank culruaIreland

Thank you very much for your feedback.We were delighted your stay was enjoyable.
Your constructive comments have been noted regarding Breakfast, & will be acted upon to ensure greater customer satisfaction in this area.
Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Yet again had a great holiday at this hotel (Sunday 8th September to Friday 13th September 2013), food great and staff are first class and so obliging. All being well I will visit again next year.

Rosaleen Ramsbottom

1  Thank ramsbottom936
Brianc999, Manager at Knock House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments,& we were all delighted to read that your stay with us was so enjoyable again this year.Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Knock
McWilliam Park Hotel
Dalton Inn Hotel
Dalton Inn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Claremorris
Drum Haven Bed & Breakfast

Been to Knock House Hotel? Share your experiences!