“AVOID”

Fairfield Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 6 Restaurants in Knock
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed August 21, 2014

I can only echo all the points already made in the two previous reviews. The sandwich choices were ham or cheese. (Perhaps ham and cheese is a bridge too far). The waitress does seem to appear from nowhere when one enters the restaurant. That being said I found her to be pleasant in the dealings I had with her. The restaurant itself reminded me of the lunch room in my convent secondary school and as mentioned already has "stuff" for sale all around the room. I can't comment on the prices as another member of my party paid the bill. The only way I can describe this establishment is that it is really odd.

2  Thank Leitrimalice

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I visited Knock yesterday with two friends and like the person who wrote the previous review we too were looking for somewhere near the shrine to have something to eat, when we entered the Fairfield restaurant the waitress was right there at our table, she immediately asked if we wanted tea or coffee, (presumably so we would stay ) we asked for tea, she then gave us the menu card and when we asked for soup she told us she only had packet soup so we decided to have three cheese sandwiches and two plates of chips, instead, what we got was three sandwiches of the cheapest brown bread, with 1 slice of cheap individual sliced cheese squares between two slices of bread.
,There was no napkin , no butter and no brown sauce provided, we were charged 27 euros for the tasteless cheap and nasty sandwiches, when I pointed this out to the female waitress who served us she got very defensive, and was indignant that she provided quality and value for money.

places like these should be boycotted or closed down, the place was musty, clutter all around and the For sale items were so old that they had turned yellow.

This restaurant did not provide quality food or value for money, they only want to get as much cash out of you for so little, basically they are robbing and taking advantage of the pilgrims who visit the shrine of knock,
they need to update the place, clean and modernise it and be realistic with their prices, and provide real quality food and start listening to the customers

The menu card we were given did not display prices, only the amount of calories a slice of their bread contained, which was a joke,! we had to laugh at this nonsense
I would seriously advise anyone visiting Knock that they should take with them a flask and packed lunch otherwise they will surely be ripped off here.
The owners of the Fairfield Restaurant should have their Licence Revoked by the Trading Standards or Knock town council, and the place inspected by the Health and Safety Inspectorate or the Irish equivalent. This place would put people off from visiting Knock ever again, it certainly spoiled our visit to the town of Knock,
I cant even in all honesty give this place a rating, not even a one out of five!
I have travelled all over the world and this is the worst place ever

11  Thank robert b
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Picked up relatives at Knock airport who were keen to visit to Knock shrine on way to attend Mayo Wedding. Were thirsty and starving on arrival so decided to eat in one of tourist trap cafes opposite shrine site ( Knock itself is very run down considering the prices the town is charging the faithful for refreshments and holy goods). I knew i had made a mistake as soon as we had entered but exhaustion had hit the older pilgrims and so I sadly write the most negative review I have ever had to.

Decor : Dated, carpet threadbare, several different carpets joined together ( Badly) Overall musty smell, toilets a disgrace and also left wet and unserviced ( very dangerous).

Service : Shallow, tepid and could not care less. Asked for Brown Table Sauce was told they did not have it as there was no demand ( this in a cafe!!!!, in Ireland!!!!!!???). This summed up the service which was also indicated by the red sauce (Bramwells from Aldi 79cents) and the Jam ( Tesco Everyday Value 59 cents ) being on open display in their original containers. They did not even care enough to discreetly rob you blind or care enough to pop to aldi and buy even one bottle of brown sauce in a nation raised on the stuff.

Food : Packet soup in small bowl ( 4.95 euro ), one egg, half tomato, handful of cheap frozen chips ( 9.95 ) small slice of frozen apple tart, thin slice of cheap block vanilla (aldi??) (4.95)
Two rusk filled small sausages, 1 rasher, 1 egg, half tomato, handful cheap frozen chips and no brown sauce ( 12.95 euro ) . A total rob and the food was terrible

I hope never to suffer such a total rip off and would have gladly refused meal once I saw it proffered but circumstances and company were against this as well as time but I hope this review will help others avoid this total disgrace of a business not that the other cafes which lined the main street looked any better or indeed cheaper, this appears a town intend on screwing its passing trade without any justification relative to the actual cost of a empty plastic bottle for holy water or indeed a teabag or a egg. I seldom write any negative points and have been very lucky to have been very happy with my stays and meals as my previous reviews would show but alas the only positive I can say was that it was near the shrine, I can only hope the owner prays often.

13  Thank irishcitybreaker